DC chin spoiler- asking before I drill!! :)

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
A forum member recently sold his DC chin spoiler to me for a fair price. He said that he had mounted it to the "inner and outer bumper brackets" (which I assume he means outboard and inboard legs of the "Y" shaped supports)...

Is this where Direct Connection suggested that this should piece be mounted? It looks like there are some options in terms of how far fore or aft the holes are drilled...any suggestions on that?

Thanks for any tips at all!!

Attachments

• Chin spoiler_small.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 229
There car in the pic doesn't have Y brackets behind its front bumper so...
Beats me

There car in the pic doesn't have Y brackets behind its front bumper so...
Beats me

Thanks for the input...maybe I'm describing it wrong...or maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly. :p Either are possible.

I am totally unfamiliar with the types of bumper supports that were offered over the years so I'm just describing what I saw. My car is a '73... manufactured in 10/72, delivered on 12/27/1972... so I assume this is pre 5mph impact.

It has a beam on each side that opens into a "v" and connects to the bumper in two places on each side. I'll snap a pic tonight...

I didn't know if the car in the pic was what its going on or the car it came off of or other.
Just suggesting the previous install could be quite different from the next. Good luck

I didn't know if the car in the pic was what its going on or the car it came off of or other.
Just suggesting the previous install could be quite different from the next. Good luck

Ok... yeah, it's going onto my Dart (in the picture).

It came off of a '73+ Duster that the seller said was also "pre 5mph impact" so I assume it had the same supports. The holes in the spoiler don't seem to match up with my supports though.

It won't be hard to get it on there one way or the other...I'd just like to keep this "by the book" so if Direct Connection suggested a standard spot, that's where I want it.

If my memory serves , Duster/Dart Sport was the last model to get the shock mounted bumper at the front. That car would have had the Y brackets, same as earlier models. Every other A-body got the shock mounted bumpers for 73.

If my memory serves , Duster/Dart Sport was the last model to get the shock mounted bumper at the front. That car would have had the Y brackets, same as earlier models. Every other A-body got the shock mounted bumpers for 73.

Thanks! That's good info.
These cars were holdovers from a bygone era...in a good way. :)

I seem to recall that they were one of the last to get catalytic converters too, no?

Direct Connection didn't provide any directions for this spoiler.
All that came in the box was just the spoiler, no mounting hardware.

Direct Connection didn't provide any directions for this spoiler.
All that came in the box was just the spoiler, no mounting hardware.

Thanks, Mike.
Sounds like there is some flexibility... do you remember how close to your bumper you had it?

74 is when all a bodies got shock mounted bumpers.
Some early build cars like my 74 Swinger only has them in the rear and not up front
A 73 Sport/Duster Should have regular bumper brackets like 72 down

If you end up not liking the spoiler for any reason I would gladly buy it off you

-
Back