Dealer installed A/C unit

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have what I believe is a dealer installed ac unit that I removed from my recent purchase of a 64 Dart GT. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what I should do with it. Since I do not want to install it back in the car after my work on my resto-mod is done. Does anybody think that it would be something that might sell, I know that it works, it just needs Freon or whatever the new stuff is now?

if its what i think it is, i have seen them listed on craigslist for 400 before. dont know if they sold or not though.

In California this has no value. Here anything having to do with Freon is an issue. Most want to update/hot rod their cars, not restore. Modern A/C is much better.

It does have some value- put out a For Sale thread for $100 and see what happens.

If it is relatively complete with v8 brackets, I would say it has some value. More softies like me are opting for a/c and the aftermarket systems are pretty pricey. The bad news is it would be likely be only a local pick up due to size and weight. I paid $250 for a factory in dash ac I put in my car.

I bought a 68 Valiant 273 that had dealer installed Chrysler A/C. All Mopar parts. It is now in a 64 Dodge B body.
If your is a Chrysler RV-2 compressor, and the evaporator says "Air Temp" some Mopar guy will want it.

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

Snap some photos and post a sale ad. You'll sell it.

Post some pics or start a for sale ad. I want to put AC in my wagon, and would like something that looks era correct. I'm definitely interested.

Ok, I will get some pictures and post them. I'm pretty sure it looks very similar to the one that Darter6 has in his pictures.

Thats the unit.
I believe that it was installed at the factory, or at least at the dealer when the first owner took possession of the car.

Start a sale thread now that ypu have some good photos.

I would not know what it could be worth. I guess I need to do some more homework to find out what to ask for it.

The underhood parts look the same as "factory air". The cabin parts of course aren't. Indeed, factory AC cars had a different firewall. One can buy rebuilt RV2 compressors from rockauto and others, so little value in a used one. They were on Mopars into the 1980's. I think most people would prefer installing a small, light Sanden compressor, as comes in most retrofit kits. Most would also use a more efficient parallel-flow condenser (~$50 ebay). Someone might want the under-dash unit. They usually sell ~$100 on ebay. One can also buy new ones for ~$100, but many like the vintage look and that tech hasn't changed since the 1960's.

The slant six brackets with pulleys is difficult to locate. The underdash unit looks good.
I would be happy to get $200 for it and I think buy it for $200.

The slant six brackets with pulleys is difficult to locate. The underdash unit looks good.
I would be happy to get $200 for it and I think buy it for $200.

I would not know what it could be worth. I guess I need to do some more homework to find out what to ask for it.

There ya go. You have pictures and quite a few people that think it's worth around $200. Post your ad and rake in the cash!

-
Back