Decent cam for 360?

-
Got a nice lope to it and a slow idle. 750 or so? Do you run a higher than stock converter? How does it perform off idle?
Hey Mike! Actually it's a 4 speed car has 3.55 gears. I had both heads rebuilt and milled .045. Really good response, could turn the car sideways even with a peg leg lol.

Melling cam is veryh old SBC lobe- it sucks
we used to buy these for cheap cores to regrind
AS said above he needs to get the intake closed early to build cylinder pressure- dynamic compression
he needs to open the exhaust late for maximum expansion
Timing on 250 comp is better
Timing on 256 comp is about Max
(from the diagrams @.006 on the comp website)
problem is all short comp cams have little lift for their duration
Jones 256 cam is actually shorter seat to seat thanthe comp 250 or shortest Voodoo but with .305 lobe lift and lots of area to still make some power.
Problem is cost and deliver ability but now that race season is over that should be easing
I'd buy JOnes but smallest Voodoo or custom Bullet are good second choices
Of course Engle, Crower etc can also grind a short high lift custom
other shelf cams may rev like crazy but leave much torque on the table

He's got a STOCK 360.Stop bein ridiculous.

stock 360
he needs a cam for a low compression motor not a hot rod chevy cam
go read jPars post

I'm not reading any of his posts and I don't have to. That's a very decent grind "for what the OP wants". Yall argue it out. I am done with this foolishness.

I'm not reading any of his posts and I don't have to. That's a very decent grind "for what the OP wants". Yall argue it out. I am done with this foolishness.

IMG_0928.JPG

I have this bone stock 72 360. I would like to wake it up slightly. It purpose down the road will be sliding into a truck and hit the quarter.
What would be a decent cam choice for the stock compression?
I ran across an Edelbrock performer rpm intake for stupid cheap. So I plan to swap the stock intake for this one. I have an 800cfm Holley sitting on the shelf. Could this be detuned enough to not big too large for the stock specs? I am just trying to work with what I have.

Any help is appreciated!!

I have used the below cam in stock compression 318's and 360's before with good results. The wider centerline/reduced over lap and mild duration numbers will wake up the ride a bit and you will not need a aftermarket converter. Purchase the matched springs with it. The 800 cfm carb can be jetted down, not detuned, jetted down, to use. I'd rather a 600cfm at the smallest and a 750cfm at the largest.
Crane Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts 693941

Wow! Thanks everyone for the info and good laughs(at the arguing). LOL. I just wanted to try to gather some info. Not ruffle anyones feather. I am still in the "what do I want to do stages". Thanks again.

WOW thanks
BTW
Crane Cam has 12 degree intake \ to exhaust split
that's a bunch
Why
Crane duration is at .004 so is about the same as 268 comp (which measures at .006 lift) Harold Berkshire 40 year old profile
an oldie but goodie if you have a chevy
but way to big for a stock 360 unless you change gears and converter
big duration split works with stock heads and no headers otherwise is obsolete
It does stretch the rpm range which I'm sure is your number one goal- right???
It opens the exhaust early which kills mileage
and additional overlap gives dilution of you intake charge
all good- right?

-
Back