Decode 440 block

-

dbphemi

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how to decode the stamping next to the distributor on a 440 block. Mine says :
H440
6 30
I know it's not an hp. Is that the build date? Thanks fabo

Assembled June 30th 1972. The cast date for the block is on the side of the block.

More likely a 6-30-1971 assembly date as it's a 72 model year (H) engine.

Yes the 6-30 is the assembly date.

Not likely that the engine was assembled a year before it was put in a car. The date on the pad is the date the motor was assembled - which is typically within days or weeks of the car being built that it went into.

What do you think the approximate date when 1972 model year car production began? It sure wasn't Jan 1 1972.

It was about July 1, 1971.

Please note it has an "H", as in H440, to denote model year, which is 1972.

1972 model year cars started showing up at dealerships in september 1971, IIRC. An engine built on 6/30/1972 would have been 99% sure to be a 1973 model year engine and would have a J code because those 73 model year cars would have begun production in early July 1972.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll have to look at the cast date on the side of the block again and post it. I'm pretty sure it said 72 and it's gotta steel crank and an avs manifold so I'm pretty sure it's not a 73 motor.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll have to look at the cast date on the side of the block again and post it. I'm pretty sure it said 72 and it's gotta steel crank and an avs manifold so I'm pretty sure it's not a 73 motor.

The H tells you it's not a 73 motor , that would be J and yes NON HP 73 440's had forged steel cranks .

The casting date will lay this one to rest.

Also Production for the next model year usually stared Aug 1 , lines shutdown sometime in July to shutdown and convert to the next year.

Not likely that the engine was assembled a year before it was put in a car. The date on the pad is the date the motor was assembled - which is typically within days or weeks of the car being built that it went into.

This may be true in the late 60's but by 71 it was not unusual to see an engine assembled months before it got into a car , especially with HP motored cars .

It looks like the casting says 3 3 72. the exhaust manifold is kinda hanging in the way . Does this sound right?

3-3-72 is totally possible for any motor. And as for the assembly date of 6-30, it could be either, although if the 3-3 casting date is correct it would not be 6-30-71. Also, a 6-30 assembly date would be verrrry late in the model year but could still be installed in a late build car. The "H" makes the engine a 72 motor!! Geof

So just outa curiosity what was different between the hp motor and the non hp motor? I know the compression was a little higher and they had better exhaust manifolds on hp 440's.

Correct John, 8/1. Don't know why I was thinking 7/1 yesterday.

If the casting date of 3/3/72 is correct, yes, it appears to be a 6/30/72 built engine which would make it one of the last to be built/installed for a 72 model year vehicle.

-
Back