Decoder ring for when to use which loctite, permatex, gasgacinch, etc.?

-

64DartGTinAZ

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Way back when, my buddy knew when to use which and told me...he's in a different state now.

Is there a summary some where of when to use all the different assembly chemicals?

Thanks!

If it has threads and it might vibrate loose, it gets loctite. If they might leak fluids, they get ARP thread sealant.
All coolant hoses get a little gaskacinch, and let dry before adding coolant to system.
Two mating surfaces that have space between them, more than a paper gasket, get silicone. (Intake along china wall, oil pan at the corners of the gaskets, ect.)
Valve over gaskets, dry.
Paper gaskets get a non drying aviation sealer (water pump, thermostat housing, ect.)

Then there are some gaskets that depend on what material they are made from...... intake gaskets, some get left dry, some get gaskacinch around water ports, and some get aviation sealer.

It all depends on the combination of parts, and what the application is.......the best advise I can give is...........

If you are not sure what to use, ask. The guys (and gals) here will give you multiple choices to what will best fit your exact needs.

Every thread in my car had blue locktite or permatex thread sealer. Flat surfaces have hi-temp silicone. I also use quite a few SS fasteners and I really like to use locknuts where applicable.
DR:coffee2:

-
Back