Deep 904 transmission pan?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to fix some leaks and replace the speedo gear, and while I'm at it I wouldn't mind adding a deeper pan for extra capacity. I know, my 70 Swinger is no hot rod and most Mopar trannys lasted tons of miles with a stock pan so I really don't need the pan but I just like the idea of a little more fluid capacity. I like the stock Mopar pan #52118779AD and the reusable gasket #4295875AD. Dorman makes a replacement pan that has the bonus of a drain plug which I really like. These pans are designed for the 500 series automatics in the Dakota and Jeep chassis. Anybody use these and have good luck with these? First pan is the OEM Mopar and the second is the Dorman.
$_57.jpg
$_58.jpg
Just curious.

Don't forget needing an extended filter adapter for those also if used on a 904.
The billet aluminum extenders are the best to get to insure no sucking of air around them.

Also the top pan is tougher.

buy one from Ma Mopar and you get the spacer ,the longer filter bolts, a new filter an the drain plug with the pan , For the 904 its part number P4007886AB it is an extra capacity stamped steel pan with a drain hole , order it from your local dealership parts dept and you can pick it up there when it comes in and save the shipping . They were really reasonably priced when I got mine .

yep thats the one except if you call your local dealer you don't need to pay shipping .Just make sure to check it for flat flanges when you get it , they get banged around during handling , mine needed some hammering in the corners to seal nice.

dealer price...LOL.....probably twice the summit price.

Parts out of the Performance Catalog ie those with a P at the start of their # are generally on old stock clearance prices . You would be surprised how cheap some are , those supposed to be rare silicone bypass hose kits a certain MOD was selling a few years back are only like 14 bucks Cdn{ equals @ 10 US } and still available last time I checked .

Also the top pan is tougher.[/QUOTE]
This is the one I have but had to get the dealer gasket with the plastic and rubber to make it seal up. Went through a few of those rubber deals before figuring this out.
That has been recommended by everyone. The Mopar pan actually has the 4295875AD gasket number stamped in the bottom of the pan.

Crown auto has a plated one that looks pretty cool.
p4007886ab_is.jpg

I just noticed, it looks like the stock pan is deeper. The aftermarket pans have 1 qt. Extra capacity.

Give the open style of the 904 case an aluminum pan will act as a strengthening girdle. Steel pan with extra capacity is just a gimmick. Save you money if you're looking at a steel pan - remember your initial post about Mopar tranny going for heaps of miles with the standard pan.
Cheers

Well you know what they say about opinions .... I found the extra capacity and the drain plug well worth the small price for the steel pan , my trans runs cooler with the extra fluid in it .

This is the one I have but had to get the dealer gasket with the plastic and rubber to make it seal up. Went through a few of those rubber deals before figuring this out.

Yeah I put mine on a sheet of glass and found 3 of the corners weren't on plane with the rest of the flange , a little hammering and the old cork gasket sealed like a charm .

Yeah I put mine on a sheet of glass and found 3 of the corners weren't on plane with the rest of the flange , a little hammering and the old cork gasket sealed like a charm .
Yep, something you have to do with most all stamped steel covers.

I need to fix some leaks and replace the speedo gear, and while I'm at it I wouldn't mind adding a deeper pan for extra capacity. I know, my 70 Swinger is no hot rod and most Mopar trannys lasted tons of miles with a stock pan so I really don't need the pan but I just like the idea of a little more fluid capacity. I like the stock Mopar pan #52118779AD and the reusable gasket #4295875AD. Dorman makes a replacement pan that has the bonus of a drain plug which I really like. These pans are designed for the 500 series automatics in the Dakota and Jeep chassis. Anybody use these and have good luck with these? First pan is the OEM Mopar and the second is the Dorman. View attachment 1714945114 View attachment 1714945115 Just curious.
If you want to get rid of leaks get a cast aluminum pan. I believe men is a cast Tci pan for a 904. These style pans never leak because the pan rail is so thick and is machined.

Duane

If you want to get rid of leaks get a cast aluminum pan. I believe men is a cast Tci pan for a 904. These style pans never leak because the pan rail is so thick and is machined.

Duane
So right Duane. I've used aluminum B&M pans on many of my earlier Mopars with excellent results. The M/P pan I got has a stock look, is heavy gauge, and with the new design reusable gasket it should be leak free.

Don't forget needing an extended filter adapter for those also if used on a 904.
The billet aluminum extenders are the best to get to insure no sucking of air around them.

Also the top pan is tougher.
Trail Beast, my transmission builder said if I use that deeper pan (Dorman 265-839) to be sure and use the '96 later pan filter (taller/thicker)(Mopar 52118789), it mounts with 2 less screws but is sticks down deep enough into pan for correct oil pickup. Can you verify or have heard of using that filter?

I cannot verify that for sure, sorry.
The newer filter is deeper though.

If you buy the mopar pan from the dealer it comes with the spacer , longer bolts and a new filter .I got mine when they were still doing the old stock on the cheap haven't bought anything for a few years now tho .

toolmanmike, I'll make you a sweet deal on a good used chrome Direct Connection deep 904 pan. it was even featured in a book! You'll need to find your own extension and bolts though!
Tom Hand

toolmanmike, I'll make you a sweet deal on a good used chrome Direct Connection deep 904 pan. it was even featured in a book! You'll need to find your own extension and bolts though!
Tom Hand
Thanks Tom but I'm good. Start a sale thread. Somebody will want it.

-
Back