Deep tranny pans...

-
Use aluminum with fins (help with keeping the fluid cool, make sure you get the one with the drain plug).

One thing I forgot to say was, I wouldn't use a deep pan (unless its a strip only car) and just use a stock depth one. If your worried about keeping it cool (you can not over cool an auto tranny) add a cooler and if your really worried about it get a cooler that has a fan attached to it (I know summit racing sells them with the fan and cooler combo that pushes up to 900 CFM). heres the link:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-45265/

How come you wouldn't use one on the street? Because of ground clearance issues?

Anyone else using one on the street? Any luck? lol

Thanks for your suggestions '70Duster.

I run a steel deep pan and see no issues with running one on the street. Also run a aux cooler. With lots of stop and go on the street in combination with a looser converter I needed it just to help keep engine temps under control. The Summit pans are really nice, have thick flanges and come with longer fasteners. I have unusually low ground clearance though and the finned pan just didn't give me clearance I was comfortable with. No issues witht he steel one. I happened to use the MP one - but highly overpriced. Also run the late composite gasket.

I run a steel deep pan and see no issues with running one on the street. Also run a aux cooler. With lots of stop and go on the street in combination with a looser converter I needed it just to help keep engine temps under control. The Summit pans are really nice, have thick flanges and come with longer fasteners. I have unusually low ground clearance though and the finned pan just didn't give me clearance I was comfortable with. No issues witht he steel one. I happened to use the MP one - but highly overpriced. Also run the late composite gasket.
X2 i have the Mopar kit, steel pan, comes unpainted and it has a new filter and the lowered pickup, got mine from Mancini.

I've run the MP ones on both big and small block trannys without issue. I ran the summitt one you have linked up n my ol'Duster. It has a really nice thick sealing surface with a drain plug. A really nice unit. IF your car sits low, that particual pan is a cast aluminum unit, not a forgiving stamped steel unit like the MP.

70 Duster makes a very good point. Unless capcity is the issue, the extra cooling can be well handled by a cooler. The one he linked up is a bit outta reach for me though the bennifit is mount and cool anywhere, a standard cooling unit can simply be mounted in front of the rad. in any wide open spot you can fit it into. I normaly mounted it mid rad dead center of the grill opening.

X2 i have the Mopar kit, steel pan, comes unpainted and it has a new filter and the lowered pickup, got mine from Mancini.

Thats the one I would use. At least a steel pan wont break like an aluminum pan.

I run a 3 quart extra B&M finned, with a big aluminum cooler on the street, coolers is only warm to the touch with a 4,400 stall 9.5"

I got 3 of those summit aluminum pans in use...Great deal...

as far as using a deep dan on the street....have anyone looked at the A500/A518 pans...that are on 100,000s of pickup trucks..

They look pretty deep...

Or do you think it is a clearance problem?

Attachments

• Picture 421a.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 186
I was talking about clearance to the ground, sits kind of low for my tastes.

The summit link I posted was just to show the max amount of cooling I think you'll be able to get. You can get ones without fans and thought I'd show you the overkill version.

I'm running a 518 pan in my car, deeper than a MP pan, came painted, and cheaper too. Also put one on a buddy's truck trans that I rebuilt. Only bad thing is no drain plug.

Been using the Mopar steel one on my street/strip 904 for 5 seasons now,ground clearance is certainly not an issue..

Thanks everyone for all your help. It is appreciated...I will get one of these pans, maybe the steel one, and also a tranny cooler, but not the one with the fan haha...

440Source sells a pretty inexpensive deep pan but I don't think it includes the pickup extension. Be sure to install an extension so it will pull cooler fluid from the bottom.

If your worried about keeping it cool (you can not over cool an auto tranny) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-45265/

i 100% disagree with this statement... no reason for an "operating temp" then??...

and some food for thought is this, with increase of fluid, its harder to cool because it hold heat better due to more mass...

run a stock depth with a good cooler...

-
Back