Demon, Duster, Dart Sport wheel combos

-

mzak88

Reaction score
Just like the title, wondering what you are all running. Street or strip. Looking fer input on my 10 second HemiDart build. I'm installing a USCar Tool Stage 3 Chassis kit with mini tubs in my Dart Sport. Not in the know about tire diameters etc. It will be a 572 hemi with Hooker A body Super Stocks, torquflight, Dana with caltrac bars & mono leafs. Dying to know what has worked good for you all.

I'm running 28-12/15 on a 10x15 wheel with 5.5" backspace on my Demon. Narrowed rear, springs moved to frame. The big limiting factor on tire height is the lower portion of the quarter panel at the front of the wheel well. Each car is different I've got an 1 1/2" to 2" space, some have a lot less. I bought tires and wheels before measuring for the rear. Centered them up in the wheel well where I wanted them to sit. I went with the 5.5" backspace due to there being a larger selection of 15" wheels with that backspace.

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

Dubob, love what you've done. I'm restifying a 71 Demon 340. I'm old school so I'm going for the stock wheel well fat tire look of old with a rake. You seem to have done a lot of homework on this so I value your opinion and anyone else that has real world experience on this. I want to put 15X10 rears on and have seen some pics of cars done that way with no well modifications. You mention 5.5" backspace with your modification, do you think a 4.5 would work with a stock suspension and a 10.5" section width tire, understanding that it may be almost flush with the quarter. Any info is appreciated.

15x8 Cragers with 4.25"BS
275/60 15

Front are 225/70 14 and they rub a little, should gone with 60's

20160613_181228-1~2.jpg

received_881279682002415.jpeg

101111144517-3.jpg

KnuckleDuster, Cragers look great and the rake is awesome. Can you tell me what the distance is from your tire to the spring? Thanks

I have 11.25" wheels with 3.5" backspacing wrapped in 12.50x28 rubber.

If you are mini tubbing I'd highly recommend using RMs front boxes for the adjustability.

These wheels are weld RTS-w

20150430_150814.jpg

660ft June 14th 2015.jpg

16378_10204960777488574_6317630999826702274_n.jpg

Last edited:
I run Holeshot Wheels. They have a wide variety of styles to choose from and are a good balance of lightweight & strength. But they are not street legal. Their 3 piece construction allows for more offset options and if a wheel should get damaged or the offset needs to be changed, it can be done without buying a whole new wheel. One piece fronts are available for a higher cost. I don't know if they have any Canadian dealers, but there are some in New York & Michigan.

15" 3-PC Drag Racing Wheels

Fronts are 15"x4" with a standard offset and 28" Hoosiers. I did have to trim the front, lower lip/corner of the fender openings for clearance. Watch for potential rubbing if you have a fuel line running up the back of the passenger side front wheelwell.

Rears are 15"x10" with 30"x9" Hoosier radials. I had to trim the front of the wheel opening as well as eliminated the lip on the inside perimeter. I have a 3/4" offset kit, but stock wheel tubs. You will have more wheel offset flexibility with the mini-tubs & chassis mods
2017 Immokalee, FL 007.JPG

"I want to put 15X10 rears on and have seen some pics of cars done that way with no well modifications."

I forgot to add to my post that the car is mini tubbed. But I do know the look your after, the 70's look with the Crager SS and L60-15 Tiger Paw tires. Used to be throw a set of Sky Jackers under the car air them up to 100psi and deal with the rubbing. I miss those days. If you go to here there are pages of combos that might help you out. Honestly FABO has been a huge source of where I've researched.
Post your wheel and tire combos.

Thanks for the compliment on the car.

im running N50s on 14X10 slotted mags

all show and no go...but they sure look the part on that car

(still pinching pennies to save up to have some 15X8 slots made in small bolt)

tire.jpg

I'm running 28-12/15 on a 10x15 wheel with 5.5" backspace on my Demon. Narrowed rear, springs moved to frame. The big limiting factor on tire height is the lower portion of the quarter panel at the front of the wheel well. Each car is different I've got an 1 1/2" to 2" space, some have a lot less. I bought tires and wheels before measuring for the rear. Centered them up in the wheel well where I wanted them to sit. I went with the 5.5" backspace due to there being a larger selection of 15" wheels with that backspace.

View attachment 1715018666

View attachment 1715018667

View attachment 1715018668

View attachment 1715018669
Love this Demon!!

ill look into it for you
(i know its a 10 inch wheel, so if i measure what would be the "front spacing" and deduct that from 10 inches, minus an inch or so wheelthickness we should be close, no ?)

i wont be around the car until monday, so sit tight

(once i find me some 15X8s that fit, im thinking the 14X10s will be up for sale)

Just measure from where the wheel touches the axle in the back to the edge of the rim, I'll figure the rest, thanks

not that simple, im running the bell style brake hubs, and with 14 inch rims, there isnt enough room for a tape measure in there

We can also do it in reverse you can give me from the face of the drum to the outer edge of the front of the rim and I'll work backwards

finally had a chance to look into it, i got 6 inches from the face to the outer edge, so i would guess i got 3.5 inches of bacspacing on it

-
Back