Demon street carb install

-

perko

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to install a street demon carb on my 68 318 which is installed in a 73 duster. I am replacing the thrashed quadrajet that the last owner put on. I think that it has the original 2bbl bracket that was working for some reason, because now when I try to set up the throttle it binds on the carb as you apply the throttle, and the knickdown rod is at an angle instead of connecting to the carb at a 90 degree angle. Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to do to get everything buttoned up? Google hasn't been too helpful and my boss is starting to get pissed about this thing being parked in front of the office. Thanks!

DSCF1064[1].JPG

DSCF1065[1].JPG

DSCF1066[1].JPG

You could start by bending that throttle cable tab straight up and hooking it on the inner side of the throttle post once you get a Chrysler throttle bracket on there

This won't help but your throttle pressure rod is also set up wrong. That nut and bolt should not be there..

Re set it so the pin on your carb is where the bolt is. The "extra" slot behind the pin is there in case the TP lever sticks on your trans it won't hold you at wide open throttle..
It will have the extra room in the slot to let the carb snap closed...

Also with the new manifold and carb you need to cut the legs off the TP bell crank and extend them. I think I made mine like 2 inches longer? Then i extended the bar going down to the trans bell crank the same distance. That will move the bell crank to the right and up.

You will have to fabricate and modify the original bracket. The geometry is all wrong. The cable is clamped and situated too low, it should be up higher, in line with where it connects to the carb. The kickdown rod is way out of whack too. It can be made to work but you have to fabricate, mod, improvise. I did this on my son's 78 Magnum w/360 and oem intake, and 2-bbl brackets.Getting the cable in line at the correct angle is not too complicated, I'd go with a Lokar kickdown cable kit, vs trying to make the rod etc work.

you need on of these...small block 4 barrel throttle bracket. it will solve your geometry issues

th.jpg

I dont think it will.

Looks like his manifold is taller than the factory unit.

What intake is that?

If you have a welder, you can easily modify that throttle bracket and kickdown rod to correct the geometry.

We can agree to disagree on that Mr wolf..

If you raise the carb, you gotta raise the bell crank to correct the angle and you still gotta lengthen the rod to the trans bell crank so.......

Or just lift the car, pull the rod off the trans TP lever, use bailing wire and wire that sucker all the way back then drive home and order the parts or modify what ya got....

I spent the extra money and got a lokar throttle cable, trans cable, and bracket when I put my street demon on. Works perfectly every time. Sure, you can modify factory stuff. But with an aftermarket carb and intake it's best to upgrade all of it.

I think I'm going to go with the path of least resistance. to answer a previous question the intake is an eddlebrock performer. The lokar stuff looks like its the ticket. Unless someone happens to have a stock bracket they think will work? I'm a little confused as to which parts to buy. I found this article, but its for a big block.

The LowDown On Stock Torqueflite Kick-Down Linkage

• Does anyone have any experience with the cables? Is there a specific kick down cable that I need?
  • Will I need a lokar throttle cable as well?
Thanks for all the help!

call lokar directly and they will tell you exactly what fits.. not sure if the brackets are the came for a holley as your srteet demon..

Contact Us

The Lokar kits are great, I had to use both the throttle and kickdown cable kits for the street demon in my Duster to make it actually shift properly and not bind up. Keep an eye on the attachment of the KD cable to the transmission, I had to cut down the attaching screw because it was hitting the gear selector arm and binding up.

call lokar directly and they will tell you exactly what fits.. not sure if the brackets are the came for a holley as your srteet demon..

Contact Us

Lokar said the holley bracket wouldn't fit my street demon. I already had the bracket and it looked close, so I opened it and..... it fits.

I used part # XSRK-4000 it's black but I think that SRK-4000 is the stainless version.

Last edited:
Alright,
I spoke to Lokar and these were the parts numbers that they gave me for a 318 with a street demon carb and a 904 transmission.

• Cable Bracket: TCB-40SD
  • Throttle Cable: TC-1000-HT
  • Kickdown Cable: KD-2904-HT

Will return with review of carb and bracketry.

I like to tell myself that time is money. By doing this I am saving time, and therefore money.

Unless anyone has a cheaper alternative out there that doesn't require a lot of fuckery?

I used a stock 4bbl bracket, and had to bend it slightly by hand, but got the stock throttle cable to work.
That demon is a nice carb, mine has been in place for a few years, very dependable carb, for a street driven vehicle.

I used a stock 4bbl bracket, and had to bend it slightly by hand, but got the stock throttle cable to work.
That demon is a nice carb, mine has been in place for a few years, very dependable carb, for a street driven vehicle.

Where did you pick up a stock 4bbl bracket?

I think my biggest hurdle is going to be the kickdown. Its pretty jenky right now. I might could bend the rod a bit but its totally out of alignment as is.

I just grabbed one out of my parts stash, but Mancini sells repo ones.

-
Back