Denso Alternator conversion Part-Number ?

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
hi, yesterday my Voltage Regulator quit working, so i´m thinking about going the Denso-Way and switch the old Mopar Alternator against a modern Denso with internal Regulator.

i guess this was done by many Mopar-Drivers before...and so i wanna ask, which Model will fit best or if anyone cld provide me a part number (v-belt groove prefered, as i don´t like to hassle around with changing pulleys)

thanks

Here's what I'm using. Denso # 210-0106. This is from 1987-1991 Toyota 4 runners.

Ted

hi, yesterday my Voltage Regulator quit working, so i´m thinking about going the Denso-Way and switch the old Mopar Alternator against a modern Denso with internal Regulator.

i guess this was done by many Mopar-Drivers before...and so i wanna ask, which Model will fit best or if anyone cld provide me a part number (v-belt groove prefered, as i don´t like to hassle around with changing pulleys)

thanks

............. I JUST completed this swap on my big block Belvedere. Here's what I did:

Show up at your local VatoZone (or your favorite chain parts store, whatever it may be). Ask for an alternator for a 1991 Toyota 4Runner with a 2.4L 4 CYL--THIS is important because that is how you get the V-belt version and avoid the serpentine pulley version meant for the V6 models! I believe the 4x4 version gets you the 70A model but at that point, you can ask about it while they have their computer screen open. They will have apx. 2 of these on their shelves. I just got their reman with the lifetime warranty!

I DID NOT have to order special brackets, but I DID have to space the alternator properly for pulley alignment if I was going to use the stock brackets, which is what I did. I needed to space the front-side of the alternator back 1/2", which is about the height of 1/2"x 13 nuts! The back of the alternator will depend on your combo. You will also need the right metric bolt on the small ear where the slotted bracket holds the alternator. Pick this up at the parts store while buying the unit unless you have a well-stocked bolt pile.

You can hook up the 3 wires in the back with common female spade connectors, or do what I did and order this:
1 x Connector Nippon Denso Alternator Repair Plug Harness Toyota Honda Lexus | eBay

I pulled the L-terminal/pigtail out of the connector since I'm not using the battery light.

I wired the car to supply battery sense and Ignition terminal input to turn the regulator on. All I have to do now with an alternator/regulator problem is take this unit to an AutoZone and take them up on their lifetime warranty! The pulley should always be a single V-belt, ready to go if I do that!

4Runner%20Alternator%20Swap%201_zps54neozmx.jpg

4Runner%20Alternator%20Swap%209_zpshco9f4bj.jpg

4Runner%20Alternator%20Swap%203_zps6combdgi.jpg

4Runner%20Alternator%20Swap%202_zpsgl9l7lth.jpg

David

just had to realise, getting that denso toyota thing is not so easy here in Good Old Germany :( and after searching thru the other Mopar Forums and the web, i will go for a Bosch Alternator out of a BMW E30 ,which should bolt in easily (only minor modifications needed.. they say... we will see.. :rolleyes:)

brother that alternator is available at every corner part store here. You wan't one, I will gladly pick one up and post it along to you

............. I JUST completed this swap on my big block Belvedere. Here's what I did:

Show up at your local VatoZone (or your favorite chain parts store, whatever it may be). Ask for an alternator for a 1991 Toyota 4Runner with a 2.4L 4 CYL--THIS is important because that is how you get the V-belt version and avoid the serpentine pulley version meant for the V6 models! I believe the 4x4 version gets you the 70A model but at that point, you can ask about it while they have their computer screen open. They will have apx. 2 of these on their shelves. I just got their reman with the lifetime warranty!

I DID NOT have to order special brackets, but I DID have to space the alternator properly for pulley alignment if I was going to use the stock brackets, which is what I did. I needed to space the front-side of the alternator back 1/2", which is about the height of 1/2"x 13 nuts! The back of the alternator will depend on your combo. You will also need the right metric bolt on the small ear where the slotted bracket holds the alternator. Pick this up at the parts store while buying the unit unless you have a well-stocked bolt pile.

You can hook up the 3 wires in the back with common female spade connectors, or do what I did and order this:
1 x Connector Nippon Denso Alternator Repair Plug Harness Toyota Honda Lexus | eBay

I pulled the L-terminal/pigtail out of the connector since I'm not using the battery light.

I wired the car to supply battery sense and Ignition terminal input to turn the regulator on. All I have to do now with an alternator/regulator problem is take this unit to an AutoZone and take them up on their lifetime warranty! The pulley should always be a single V-belt, ready to go if I do that!

View attachment 1715027323

View attachment 1715027324

View attachment 1715027325

View attachment 1715027326

David

I did basically the same thing.. Charges strong at idle with efi, headlights, stereo all on.. great upgrade.

Ken

a mopar-guys life is a hard one... and again learned something new NO WAY to mount an aftermarket Denso/Bosch/Delco or whatever alternator on a magnum-engine which is disguised as an LA (front cover, water pump V-belt etc) there will be not enough space between the head and the brackets...

as my orig. Mopar round back alternator just flipped in easily, i never wasted a thought about it... but each and every aftermakert alternator is slightly taller than that round back thing... the smallest Denso i found is still 1/4 to tall and will bottom out on the cylinderhead

so i just ordered a powermaster alternator (OEM-style with round back) and stay also with the external regulator
Btw.. it also turned out that the VR is fine, but the Alternator was shot
life is pain :D

Last edited:
Has anyone got experience on a painless wiring and denso alternator? i have everything mounted with brackets from mancini racing.
Now i have to do the wiring. I got 2 wires coming to BAT side. One is "alternator output post" going to fusebox, and other one is "alternator to battery source" going to a 70a fuse. There it goes to main power switch/battery cables and i think a starter solenoid?
My question is: Do i need to do any more wiring or can i just go with this, except need to do the IGN and sense cause of the internal voltage regulator.
I dont have any original firewall connectors etc. ammeter changed to voltage meter..

Last edited:
you need 3 wires to the alternator.
1. sense wire, this controls the voltage regulator and I ran mine to the starter solenoid
2. excite wire, this needs to be 12v KEYED power
3. charge output, ran this to the starter solenoid as well

View attachment 1715027323

View attachment 1715027324

View attachment 1715027325

View attachment 1715027326

David

-
Back