Depth of cut air gap plenum divider

-

cawcislo

Reaction score
Hello, I bought a used edelcork air gap intake and the plenum divider has been milled down 1/2”. Does anyone know what depth the small block Chevy air gap plenum divoders are cut down in stock form? Just wondering if I need to go deeper or leave it be. Should I also blend the corners/sharp edges of the cut down or leave as is? Thanks.

2513311E-44CA-4D09-9AA5-BF6CEF97D3CB.jpeg

The Air Gap intake I bought years ago from Summit has the divider uncut. I understand why you would want to cut the divider but not sure there's an optimum depth. 65'

Leave as is and round off the edges on the divider and vertical cut surfaces. Do not narrow to a sharp edge. Just round off the edges.

As Rumble said, round off any of the sharp 90* corners horizontal & vertical, you will be fine as is.

If you cut it any more (and I suggest to not cut it at all) all you are doing is make it a DP not do what a DP does and it’s not a SP.

lots of guys cut them like this. It’s a pretty common mod, not sure if there’s downside to it, possibly in the low rpms and part throttle, but these intakes come with the divider cut like this from the factory on small block Chevy edelbrock air gap intakes, so edelbrock must have figured it was more beneficial to do I would think. There’s at least one dyno video on YouTube showing it was a helpful mod on the dyno at lower rpms at full throttle. I’ll post it below.

Back when I ran street cars, I cut the intakes as DC suggested & seemed to have better throttle response.

FWIW, IIRC, it was 3/8’s, no matter.... it was a legal cheat thing to do.

-
Back