Design for my blower engine.

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess I will try this again seeing as we lost all the posts from yesterday.

My plan is to make the mods to the car that are going to be needed this winter. Then build the short block sometime in the spring/summer. Then I will buy the blower setup and see if I can get it installed before I put the car away next fall.

Mods to car:

install torque boxes
move springs into frame rail
maybe a new spool mount k-frame

Here's the engine:

stock 360 Magnum block
have it cleaned, checked, square decked and probably honed
magnum heads will need to be checked, gasket matched, minor bowl blending and 2.02 valves installed
stock crank checked
stock rods checked and bushed for chev size pins
chev forged pistons from United Engine and Machine #9913, final static compression ratio of 8.1 to 1 (Thanks StrokerScamp for the info)
all new bearings
Comp Cams XR265HR cam or something similar
Indy magnum blower intake
ARP bolts throughout

Things I already have:

Small tube headers with 3" collectors
2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with X-pipe and flowmaster 40's
2800 or 3500 stall convertor
727 tranny, reverse manual valve body with transbrake (very good tranny that was behind a blown 340 before)
8 3/4 shur-grip with 3.23 gears
28" tire
MSD 6AL
MSD Dizzy
Blaster 2 coil

Blower:
good quality 6-71 or 8-71 kit (BDS, Dyers or Littlefield or something similar)
Twin 750 blower carbs (Holley?)
MSD timing control box
Electric fuel pump

I will be limiting the boost to 8 lbs. I should be somewhere between 550 and 600 HP and TQ with this setup and have the eye candy sticking up through the hood. I should also have no heat issues. I will have a 6000 rev limit chip in it.

So think about it and tell me what you think.

Jack

Did you call United and talk to Marco? He might can find another Chevy slug that could give an even lower static compression ratio. Then you could really spin that blower. That part number was one he came up with in about a five minute converstaion that he kew would FIT for sure. You can use that same compression height and look around for something with more piston volume if you want to go lower. Marco is they guy to talk to, though. He's real sharp. Your build sounds real good to me. It oughtta be real nice.

Did you call United and talk to Marco? He might can find another Chevy slug that could give an even lower static compression ratio. Then you could really spin that blower. That part number was one he came up with in abouf a five minute converstaion that he kew would FIT for sure. You can use that same compression height and look around for something with more piston volume if you want to go lower. Marco is they guy to talk to, though. He's real sharp. Your build sounds real good to me. It oughtta be real nice.

I havn't had a chance to do anything except think about the engine for now Rob. I was away hunting and things have been hectic since I got back. I will give Marco a call early next week. Thanks again.

Jack

Don't mention it, Jack. You have any luck?

Yup, we got a young bull on Saturday morning. I had a thread about it yesterday in the General forum. I will have to post it again tonight.

Jack

One of the other things I am going to do with the car is get another hood. That way I can cut it up for the blower and still have the original hood for if the blower is ever taken off.

Jack

you will need a converter to handle the torque of the blower,,they use them in nitrus motors as well

you will need a converter to handle the torque of the blower,,they use them in nitrus motors as well

I think the 3500 stall I have is capable of handling the blower. It came with the tranny I have and the whole setup was behind a blown 340. Good catch though fstfsh66,I hadn't thought of that. I will check with the previous owner on the TC.

Jack

"I" would not run a converter with a blower without an anit-ballooning plate. Just wouldn't do it. Ain't narn way. lol

if you dont plan on racing it a stock converter will hold up,,, knew a guy with a blown big block,, he street drove it and raced it,,,the converter blew apart in pieces,,

if you dont plan on racing it a stock converter will hold up,,, knew a guy with a blown big block,, he street drove it and raced it,,,the converter blew apart in pieces,,

That would suck.

very nice and price right also.

Bob, I don't know much about your engine other than what I can see in your pic. It looks like it is injected, is this the case? If so, how do you find the injection and how does it compare price wise to carbs?
I also noticed your last post was #666, fitting for a Demon owner. LOL

Jack

sounds like a good plan you have there! the power you are looking to make makes me rethink my build slightly but its never to late to learn:)

-
Back