Did the Duster have exhaust tips?

-

Auburn Hills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I did a search first for Duster Exhaust Tips and found no hits. The exhaust on my Duster 360 ends just about at the rear leaf spring bracket. That seems odd to me.

I had always thought Dusters had similar exhaust tips as other Mopars from the period, but I don't see any way to mount Mopar-style exhaust tips (the heavy ones that have the mounting tab).

If Dusters did not have tips, I would have figured the exhaust would come out to the bumper but mine does not, and it does not seem cut off.

I can figure out something aftermarket, but was wondering if there was a factory style option.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Paul

I did a search first for Duster Exhaust Tips and found no hits. The exhaust on my Duster 360 ends just about at the rear leaf spring bracket. That seems odd to me.

I had always thought Dusters had similar exhaust tips as other Mopars from the period, but I don't see any way to mount Mopar-style exhaust tips (the heavy ones that have the mounting tab).

If Dusters did not have tips, I would have figured the exhaust would come out to the bumper but mine does not, and it does not seem cut off.

I can figure out something aftermarket, but was wondering if there was a factory style option.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Paul
Yes my 73 came with chrome tips.

ep9a_chrome__93365_1449535768.jpg

101.jpg

I got the hangers and tips from Dante's Mopar.
Yote
Update: I got the hangers. I can clearly see where they are supposed to mount to the frame (it is very obvious), but there is no hole for a bolt, nor would there be a way to get a nut on the backside (it's closed). It looks like Yote's setup has a rectangular cutout where you could get a washer in there and a nut behind it somehow (not sure how you would hold it in place while tightening, but I'm sure I would come up with something. Probably a nut fixed to a washer and find some way to hold it in place).

What do you think? Weld the bracket to the frame? Cut a square hole? I'm not a welder, don't have the equipment. And a weld would leave no room for adjustment. I'm not sure about cutting a hole that large in a frame - I've never done it before. Any ideas how to do it?

Here are photos that show where the hanger has to go.
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg

Once I get this figured out, all I need is a coupler and the tip will connect right up to the existing exhaust pipe (same OD as near as I can tell).

Paul

IIRC, a fastener clip with nut attached was inserted into the rectangular hole. If you have a Dremel tool , using cutoff wheels, you can cut a hole. It might take a couple wheels but if patient, letting it cut without undue force, can be done. Be sure to wear eye protection!!!
Yote

IIRC, a fastener clip with nut attached was inserted into the rectangular hole. If you have a Dremel tool , using cutoff wheels, you can cut a hole. It might take a couple wheels but if patient, letting it cut without undue force, can be done. Be sure to wear eye protection!!!
Yote
I'll give that a shot! I like the idea because I can use the flex adapter I have for my dremel and get into the tight spot.

Thanks Yote

-
Back