Did the factory use different pulley sizes for slant with AC?

-

340doc

Reaction score
Was just reading on another post how V8 AC cars had different pulley sizes to spin the fan faster on the AC cars. Did they do the same for the slant cars? If so which pulleys were different?

I don't believe that there are different pulley (size) options on the slant. The problem is the closeness of the water pump to the crank. I have only ever seen 6 inch pulleys on slant water pumps. There really aren't any factory options for the crank pulley/balancer or the water pump pulley.

I don't believe that there are different pulley (size) options on the slant. The problem is the closeness of the water pump to the crank. I have only ever seen 6 inch pulleys on slant water pumps. There really aren't any factory options for the crank pulley/balancer or the water pump pulley.
Ok, thanks for your reply 65.

Most, if not all (I can't say for sure) slant six engines with factory AC had a two groove water pump pulley. Dia was the same as the non AC single groove pulley.

Ditto on the tight fit to the radiator. That is why they recessed the water pump housing into the side of the block, which also saved money (no separate w.p. housing). I don't think you can find a clutch fan which will fit an A-body slant.

My 1969 Dart had factory air and power steering. It had 3 V grooves on the crankshaft pulleys. I recall the water pump & alt used just 1 belt, AC belt (wider) was alone (innermost on crank) w/ an idler pulley, and p.s. was a separate belt (outer-most) w/ no idler. I think 1970's Darts changed to 2 belts on AC, alt, & w.p., but Google Images would answer. Some later cars might have had 4 V grooves at the crank, almost certainly after they added those !#@! smog air pumps by the 1980's.

I think all AC cars bolted a pulley on the inside of the damper. That special pulley has a big hole to fit over the snout of the timing cover and you must remove the damper-pulley to install it. It fits up very close to the timing cover, almost scuffing the paint. I know since I had to buy one for my 1964 Valiant slant to add AC (Sanden compressor on custom bracket). When pulling the damper, never pull on the outside, and only from the bolt circle inside the rubber strip. Good luck.

Last edited:
The first column in the chart shows the info and pulley ratio’s for the slant 6’s (a 225 in this case). Looks like the AC and non-AC cars used the same pulley ratio, the AC cars did get a larger fan though and they got the 22” radiator. The same water pump was used on all of them too.

water-pump-info-all-mopars-jpg-jpg.jpg

Best to find a F-Body "Aspen, Volare" with a slant 6 and snag its front accessory setup. Gives you a factory mounting for a Sanden.

I've found the 70's Mercedes fan and clutch works perfect with the factory shroud.
Fan1.JPG

-
Back