Did they make 5x4” axles for 8 3/4 rear ends?

-

72DartGuy

Reaction score
I’m swapping out my rear end. I needed axles for the 8 3/4 rear end I found. My car has the small bolt pattern. The rear end builder is telling me they never had small bolt axles for 8 3/4” rear ends. He didn’t believe I had a small bolt pattern so he ordered large pattern. Now he’s telling me they need to redrill my axles? They don’t make small bolt pattern axles? Am I getting screwed here?

I’m swapping out my rear end. I needed axles for the 8 3/4 rear end I found. My car has the small bolt pattern. The rear end builder is telling me they never had small bolt axles for 8 3/4” rear ends. He didn’t believe I had a small bolt pattern so he ordered large pattern. Now he’s telling me they need to redrill my axles? They don’t make small bolt pattern axles? Am I getting screwed here?
That's all they EVER came with for A bodies. Find a new builder.

That's all they EVER came with for A bodies. Find a new builder.
No ****? He ordered 5x4.5’s and now wants to charge me $250 to have them redrilled. He’s already built it. What do I do? Return the original axles? I’m kinda upset

I am sorry to laugh but LOL
People struggle to give them away
P.S. Small bolt axles use different drum brakes vs Large bolt axles. If he "swapped" you to a LBP set up and wants to re-drill them, then you will need to get LBP brakes and re-drill those as well.
Sounds like taking one step forward and 10 steps backward.

You only got screwed in your builder just doesn't have the knowledge and google is not his friend. You may be better off to get another set of axles and sell the ones you have. This would be a popular item as alot of guys ditch the SBP..... If you were near me I would take them off your hands...

JW

No ****? He ordered 5x4.5’s and now wants to charge me $250 to have them redrilled. He’s already built it. What do I do? Return the original axles? I’m kinda upset
Chit if I know. The A body used the 8 3/4 with the small bolt pattern only until 1972. In 1973 they dropped the 8 3/4 for the A body and went with the 8 1/4. How certain are you that what you have is an A body 8 3/4?

You better get a different rear end builder. He doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. Small bolt 8 3/4 rear ends were made from 65' to 72' when it was replaced with the large bolt 8 1/4" rear.

I just got off the phone with him. I got him to exchange them for me. He gave me the “I’m the guy in the business” bullshit. He agreed to exchange them. Trying to find people to work on Mopars is a *****. No one in SoCal knows a thing.

You better get a different rear end builder. He doesn't know hid butt from a hole in the ground. Small bolt 8 3/4 rearends were made from 65' to 72' when it was replaced with the large bolt 8 1/4" rear.

I dunno. It may be someone who does big work and this one caught him off guard. To be honest most people I know outside of the Mopar world won't have a clue about the SBP. It really is a unique item in the Car world. However if it was questioned some simple research would have probably prevented this thread from ever getting posted IMO.....

JW

Chit if I know. The A body used the 8 3/4 with the small bolt pattern only until 1972. In 1973 they dropped the 8 3/4 for the A body and went with the 8 1/4. How certain are you that what you have is an A body 8 3/4?
I bought my rear end a piece at a time. Got the housing empty. My third member is a 489 with posi and 3:73 gears.

I dunno. It may be someone who does big work and this one caught him off guard. To be honest most people I know outside of the Mopar world won't have a clue about the SBP. It really is a unique item in the Car world. However if it was questioned some simple research would have probably prevented this thread from ever getting posted IMO.....

JW
Agreed! Problem is the guy refused to believe me, lol! My car is a freak if nature. It has no wood grain and the holes in the trunk for a wing. It’s probably really early 72

Agreed! Problem is the guy refused to believe me, lol! My car is a freak if nature. It has no wood grain and the holes in the trunk for a wing. It’s probably really early 72

I have a friend who did rears for TF rails for about 20 years and he would be like WTH with the bolt pattern. FYI- the SBP officially ended in 72 but I believe you may find a thread on here about them finding their way on on some of the later model stuff though I have never personally seen it.

One thing you could ponder is if you wanted to change you Tire/rim setup. Now your halfway there and the floodgate is open with options...

JW

You better find out if you have an A-Body rear end and find out what brakes you have before going another step forward! The A-Body rear ends are 52-5/8" from flange to flange and have 1-3/4" brakes.

I would be really upset to downright pissed off.

Was the housing narrowed or is it a factory manufactured A body housing

I bought it as a 72 dart rear end. I’m pretty sure
I would be really upset to downright pissed off.

Was the housing narrowed or is it a factory manufactured A body housing
No, housing wasn’t cut down. It was spotless like new. The 489 third member fits in it. End of story, right?

I bought it as a 72 dart rear end. I’m pretty sure

No, housing wasn’t cut down. It was spotless like new. The 489 third member fits in it. End of story, right?
The built rears have ends that only use the green bearings, that is why he probably asked...

The built rears have ends that only use the green bearings, that is why he probably asked...
I bought green bearings, but he built the rear end. He didn’t want to believe I have 5x4 axles. I have to bring him proof that he was wrong. Seriously. This is just stupid

I have a friend who did rears for TF rails for about 20 years and he would be like WTH with the bolt pattern. FYI- the SBP officially ended in 72 but I believe you may find a thread on here about them finding their way on on some of the later model stuff though I have never personally seen it.

One thing you could ponder is if you wanted to change you Tire/rim setup. Now your halfway there and the floodgate is open with options...

JW
I have a new set of Cragars and new tires. I also have all new brakes, so I’m kinda stuck

-
Back