did this valve cover exist?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
or was it only a 1959 press release pencil drawing?
images

I got a 60 motor and the valve cover doesnt look like that, maybe a later cover though. would like to find one

I have spotted a few wrong things in the illustrations in my FSM.... like almost zero deck height on the pistons in a cross section illustration.

I don't think it ever made production. It would have to have a different head to mate to.

What you all have seen , touched or owned is one of two early and late valve covers ever in production. Not counting aftermarket valve covers.

There's a 1959 Chrysler tech video where the talk about the "new" slant six engine. The one they have on the stand even has a generator on it! It's somewhere on YouTube. Definitely worth the watch!

Don't forget there are different versions of the slant six in other countries. Argentina for example, got a really badass closed chamber quench head.

Actually that Argentinian head, that was floating around on slantsix.org, was a specially welded up version for one of there racing classes. Nicely done, but not a production piece.

Actually that Argentinian head, that was floating around on slantsix.org, was a specially welded up version for one of there racing classes. Nicely done, but not a production piece.

If you say so.

the one you are thinking of was done up for Bonneville. the Argentinian head was bought buy someone on .org from somewhere in Argentina. the Bonneville head had a normal oval shaped chamber. the Argentinian head had a heart shaped chamber. two completely different heads.

so Outlaw, you remember that cover? Was is curved at the bottom like that one? I know I got an early head as it doesnt have the alternator bolt boss on the waterneck area, totally smooth. And its flat on the bottom rail above the spark plugs. I guess preproduction mock ups and assembly line pieces get changed all the time.

I knew it was a factory head, but I was not going to argue. Thanks.

If you enlarge that picture, you can clearly see the head is not curved with the valve cover. Where the valve cover is curved, the head is straight, so I think maybe that cover did exist.

-
Back