Difference between 68 and 69 hurst shifter handle

-

4mulas

Fixem'up
Reaction score
can some one tell me why 68 seems to have its own handle then 69-71 has another even though they use the same hurst mechanism the 6353?

Isn’t a 68 identical to a 69 car?

This is for Dart 340 4spd cars

Thanks

I’d like to know as well. I’m running a hurst shifter in my 68 340 barracuda (early 68 builds used inland shifters I believe) and have purchased 2 slightly different handles that were listed as 68 application. I have also noticed some a body hurst handles are listed as bench seat cars only.

Speaking for '68 cuds's, I thought that '68/'69 were the same. Yes, mid-year '68 went from Inland to Hurst shifter. There is one model for consoles and one model for no console. The consoles are also different between automatic and 4-sp.

After much googling I learned the 68 hurst has a sharper bend than the late 68/69-71 hurst handle. 69 handle is 7036 and the 69 hurst handle number is 5_ _ _ something (if some one needs to know I can look that up again.

7ECA42D9-A23C-40BE-89C0-F29BDB4B3FF2.jpeg
I picked this up a few years ago and believe it is for a 68 with bucket seats. It is slightly shorter and has more angle back than the 7036 that I currently have installed. It has no part number stamping on the base and a different font for the hurst stamping.

There seems to be some mystery when it comes to the Hurst non console handles. Bench seat handles vs. bucket seat handles. The 68 vs. 69 and later handles is new to me. In 1971, the bolt in handle was standard issue. There are a lot of possibles to decipher.

I'm not sure about Cuda's, but the only 68 Darts that I have ever seen with 4 speed were GTS's Every 68 GTS that I have ever seen had a console be it auto or 4 speed. 69 Dart GTS's probably the same with console, But all of the 69 Swingers that I have ever seen had bench seats hence the non console shifter. I'm sure I could be wrong. Someone post a picture of a 68 GTS without a console.

For reference. Here are some side by side comparison pictures of the 1969-71 #7036 handle and the 1972 and later bolt in #7926 handle.
As far as length and bends. I don't see and difference between the two.

100_5016.JPG

100_5017.JPG

Last edited:
For reference. Here are some side by side comparison pictures of the 1969-71 #7036 handle and the 1972 and later bolt in #7926 handle.
As far as length and bends. I don't see and difference between the two.

View attachment 1715174834

View attachment 1715174835
Hyoid are right, No there is no difference between 72 and the 69-71 in terms of bend. The 68 is a sharper bend more like 90 degrees. Maybe they realized it was too sharp a bend and redesigned it for 69. Who knows.

You need to get Jamie Passon's new book where he shows you the differences in the '68- '69 handles and why.

can some one tell me why 68 seems to have its own handle then 69-71 has another even though they use the same hurst mechanism the 6353?

Isn’t a 68 identical to a 69 car?

This is for Dart 340 4spd cars

Thanks
January 2 1968 Chrysler started using hurst shifters again. 68 A body hurst shifter handles is an half year only shifter handle.

The picture in post #6 shows 2 "HURST" stampings. The one on the right is a 68.
My guess is Chrysler decided they had to move away from Inland cause they were junk! BTDT. A rush deal was made with Hurst to start producing handles and shifters mid year and the name stamping was done as fast as possible using a generic font without the fancier dedicated tooling.

But all of the 69 Swingers that I have ever seen had bench seats hence the non console shifter. I'm sure I could be wrong.

The idea behind the 69 Swinger 340 was a LOW COST performance car. So, no console or buckets to keep the cost down.

The Plymouth version is the 1969 'cuda. Low cost, no frills., bench seat standard. But optional interiors could be ordered. I've owned both a stripper and a loaded A56.

In general, the Barracudas had a higher price line than the Darts. It's in the VIN.

Late '68 had a different font for the "Hurst", while my late '68 (June 1st) came with a '69 font. Several changes going on as Mopar incorporates the new Hurst shifter.

-
Back