Differences between machine work...Heads

-

moper

Reaction score
I thought I'd stick this up here. I've had to change the shop I source most of my machine work to due to unforeseen events. It got me thinking while I was looking at places..Why go thru the trouble? Cant anyone do this work? I see a lot on various sites that most people have trouble seeing what is "good" or "right" in terms of automotive machining. These are pics from two different big block heads. I am friends with both machinists. One is leaving the business, one has a brisk business in central CT. This head is cracked from just being real old and possibly from freezing. I am replacing it for a customer with a core head I have done similarly. The following are examples of what not to want to see. The head that cracked is off a rebuilt and running 383 Road Runner, that has run a best of 13.97 with mild bolt ons and an engine rebuilt by "Shop 1". It has, from what I can gather, about 5000 miles since a complete "good" performance rebuild, which included unleaded seats, guides, new exh valves, and Comp springs for the XE268 cam. I'll stay with just head work for this thread.

First pic is the chamber showing the exh bowl area, and the huge step left by installing the unleaded seat without "fixing" the bowl. This is fine for your John Deere or flathead. It has no place in a modern performance engine.

Second pic is an intake valve bowl/seat. You can see it had a 3 angle valve job. However, see the edge hanging down from the guide boss? That's the new liner that was not installed squarely. That's a sign the hole wasnt the right size when they pressed in the liner. Also note you can see how much oil was getting past the new guide. Not a good result.

Third is a close up of that same stepped exh bowl. Here (sorry its blurry) you can see the one angle they cut on the new seat. Should be 3 if you paid for 3 angle, right? Youcan really see how bad the short turn gets as a result of the improper installation here too.

Fourth is an intake valve. You can see from the stem finish it was run thru a tumbler to clean it. That's a no no. It mars the surface, so the seal and guide cant control oil. It also weakens the stems with the nicks it creates. Also note the oil coaked up on the back side. All that does is fowl plugs and lower octane.

Last...Here's a true performance job, on a similar head. The correct seat rings installed properly, 5 angles, made using a straight pilot and cutters. Correctly installed guide liners, proper seat widths and placement for intake and exhaust (they are not the same...), basic unshrouding of the chamber walls and a cut that does 90% of the bowl hogging and blending for you. This is performance work. Know what you are looking at. Make sure your shop is capable of doing what they charge you for. These jobs cost within $300 of each other. So now you know....

100_0389.jpg

100_0391.jpg

100_0392.jpg

100_0394.jpg

100_0393.jpg

Excellent job Moper pointing out passable work (in that the engine will run) vs. genuine performance work. I had a similiar experience here in Colorado with poor workmanship on a pair of cylinder heads. Large steps where the unleaded seats were installed (although not quite as bad as your situation), guide liners sticking out of the hole, valve spring retainers not seated, etc. The list goes on. Never again will I spend money at that shop. Luckily, I could fix most everything myself.

Well, if you've never seen the difference...you really cant tell. And then you're constantly doubting when others tell you different. It's human nature to trust. I would trust both these guys to have fun with and help if my truck was dead on the side of the road. But only one got my work. Only you can tell if you "get what you pay for". My customer with the Indy crate engine is furious right now.

One of the things I'm buying from the old shop is thier tumbler. It's awesome for hardware. But it tears up machined surfaces. Just like shops that sand blast the stems...Seen that a few times too.

If thats Indy's work i've seen it before,not on my stuff but a friends :rolleyes:

This is a good post and it really shows the importance of being educated before spending money.This is a good example of why people should be hestitant to buy already assembled pieces such as enignes and heads and if they do at least tear them down for inspection-or have a reputable machine shop do it-and expect there might be something subpar.One thing I have to say is its past time someone came out with a current high performance book for mopar,Ive bought the few I can find and found them all to be lacking in the area of performance parts theory and peformance cylinder head mods.It would be nice to see a mopar book that explains camshaft theory in depth to aid in selcting cams for those who want to know as well as head porting ect.Ive owned all types of cars (mopar being my first and most favorite of course) and recently was building pontiacs and I have to say theres alot more buzz regarding do it yourself perfomance in the pontiac community with regards to new products,literature ect.Im not a at all bashing the mopar info out there but we could always use more and up to date stuff,once again great idea and thanks for the post.

340, No, not Indy's. Indy/Aerohead's look similar to the "right way" pic. But usually the guides are too tight and the seats are way out of round.

Nice pictures ther buddy. Those hardened valve seat shots were a scary site. They just popped them in and hauled it off huh?!

rumblefish360 said:
Nice pictures ther buddy. Those hardened valve seat shots were a scary site. They just popped them in and hauled it off huh?!

Most machine shops, whether they have done any bowl work, rarely check for flashings that might and or will occur when the seats are pressed in. This is the same grade as a factory spec. Checking, rechecking, checking, rechecking, etc. are all time.Time costs money and most shops don't have the time to do 'IT' right. When you go to a machine shop, you must tell them exactly what you want and you must be able to see, in this case, the bare head before it is assembled.

I missed this post. Great info. This is the kind of tech I love to read. There use to be a lot of it on Moparts, Now it seems more like a pissing match over there all the time.

Why do you think they get posted here? I respect everyones opinions, but I do get tired of trying to help as I can, and watching things devolve into a pissing match between "professionals"...

moper, when it comes to engine stuff like that, i shut up and listen to guys like you. no pissing here.

-
Back