Different carbs on dual tunnel ram

-
Can you imagine that ! That is what I would try.
HEMI TQUAD.jpg

I have a friend who ran two Quadrajets on a TR1Y, with a couple adapters, many years ago. It worked surprisingly well. (Surprised me, anyway.....).

In the AVS2 instructions I had, edelbrock recommended using a manual choke on one carburetor only and wiring (or mechanical fouling) the other choke open on dual carburetor setups. They have a pair of 1903 manual choke carburetors (500cfm) that come pre calibrated for a two four setup. When you get to where you are talking about going with a 4 inch crank and high lift cams with good heads, it’s time to graduate to a pair of sideways mounted 4150 Holley type carburetors, though.
Funny you mentioned that. My STR-12(which I purchased from a member here 5 years ago) came with #2694 Standard flange side-ways adapters .550 inches thick which he included to mount Holleys sideways. It also came with the linkage which an Edelbrock tech told me were hard to come by. However the tech also told me that Edelbrock recommended (back when these STR-12s were released) that two Holley list 4776 600 cfm carbs or two 6777 650 cfm carbs mounted facing forward should be used.

Last edited:
In the AVS2 instructions I had, edelbrock recommended using a manual choke on one carburetor only and wiring (or mechanical fouling) the other choke open on dual carburetor setups. They have a pair of 1903 manual choke carburetors (500cfm) that come pre calibrated for a two four setup. When you get to where you are talking about going with a 4 inch crank and high lift cams with good heads, it’s time to graduate to a pair of sideways mounted 4150 Holley type carburetors, though.
Edelbrock tech told me the 1903 carbs calibrated for dual quad applications, are suited more for low rise dual plane dual quad set ups, not tunnel rams, where the carbs will share a larger common plenum. For that application 1902 500's or 1905 650's were recommended.

RRR,
Post #29. Do have any more info on that combo, such as parts, hp, etc?

RRR,
Post #29. Do have any more info on that combo, such as parts, hp, etc?

Like I said I haven’t talked to him in awhile. I don’t have his number in my new phone but it is in my phone book at home. I haven’t seen him post on the web in quite some time.

I do know he has a dyno at his shop at the house and he has flogged that combo pretty good. I can’t remember what it made for power but it was a good number.

I hope he is ok. I suck. I can’t even think of his name. He helped me out a bunch several years back. Super nice guy.

Like I said I haven’t talked to him in awhile. I don’t have his number in my new phone but it is in my phone book at home. I haven’t seen him post on the web in quite some time.

I do know he has a dyno at his shop at the house and he has flogged that combo pretty good. I can’t remember what it made for power but it was a good number.

I hope he is ok. I suck. I can’t even think of his name. He helped me out a bunch several years back. Super nice guy.
IQ52?

I'm in the process of putting 2 Edelbrock 1905 650 AVS2 carbs on my Holley pro Dominator W2 engine. About to order a 6 pack hood to enclose it all. I personally prefer the contained look. Just looking around for a second 1905 Edelbrock.
@cpearce
Any progress report on your project, specifically on how the carbs are working and ability to tune them? I'm still a ways out on mine but I'm in parts gathering mode.

@cpearce

Any progress report on your project, specifically on how the carbs are working and ability to tune them? I'm still a ways out on mine but I'm in parts gathering mode.

As it is winter here I am collecting the last of the fittings, linkage, etc to get this all setup. So far the six pack hood is on for clearance, and carbs have had chokes fully removed. In the 650 AVS2 carbs I have replaced the primary boosters with those out of the 500 AVS2 carbs, this can be done as the primary bore size in the 500 and 650 are identical, just a physically larger booster in the 500 makes the CFM difference on primary side. For initial testing I have jetted and rodded the primary side as if they were 500's. I have effectively turned my 650's into 550's, with the ability to put the 650 boosters back in if I need more. I didn't want to pigeon hole myself by purchasing 500's. Just sorting out linkage and fuel lines currently. I am really looking forward to the results of this myself.

-
Back