different oil pans?

-

mopar426

Reaction score
who all makes after market oil pans for the gen 3 hemi (mid/rear sump) going in a 71 demon

ok thanks just trying to find different options. just hears to many horror stories with the milodon pans

The Canton pan is near $400 if memory serves. I went with the Milodon piece because I could sort of verify it. Someone here bought a RAM flywheel, for instance, that is listed for the 5.7, but doesn't actually have the right bolt pattern. The Canton pan is listed, but I wasn't able to find anyone who had used it, so I avoided it.

mopar426 ok thanks just trying to find different options. just hears to many horror stories with the milodon pans
02-15-2015 12:01 PM

I've got the Milodon 31003 pan , I haven't run the car yet but it does look to be a good piece baffles , trap doors , and good ground clearance , suits factory suspension .

The bad : Milodon told me a week or so ago there about a month away from having the 18336 pick-up in stock .

Charlies oil pans has one as well. Though there has been rumblings on the interwebs regarding quality.

The Milodon is the cheapest.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

the problem I've heard of most has to do with the windage tray having to cut/notch sections to get the right clearance with different parts. some problems with pickup tubes i think. just going on what he said she said type stuff butted just wanting different options for my turbo engine I'm building soon.

The Canton pan is near $400 if memory serves. I went with the Milodon piece because I could sort of verify it. Someone here bought a RAM flywheel, for instance, that is listed for the 5.7, but doesn't actually have the right bolt pattern. The Canton pan is listed, but I wasn't able to find anyone who had used it, so I avoided it.

That was me. The only flywheel to fit the 3rd gen hemi with 130 tooth is the McLeod.

I'm using the Milodon pan and I followed the steps on this forum to modify it. Pretty much had to drill a hole for the dipstick and a few other things.

Riddler

Riddler, you're being incorrectly too matter of fact. There's a few options for clutch/flywheels. Depending on the person's use needs and pocketbook:

3/4 ton Hemi Ram flywheel and clutch
Challenger flywheel and dual disc clutch
McCleod has several choices
Fidanza
SPEC

I'm using a SPEC flywheel / dual disc clutch for a Challenger application in my 392 Cuda

That was me. The only flywheel to fit the 3rd gen hemi with 130 tooth is the McLeod.

I'm using the Milodon pan and I followed the steps on this forum to modify it. Pretty much had to drill a hole for the dipstick and a few other things.

Riddler

Mopar has aluminum 130 tooth flywheels, American Powertrain has Billet and Alum 130 tooth as well.

What are some of the stories? I have one on my engine for my challenger with no issues

People commented about Fit and Finish mostly, bolt holes not lining up perfectly requiring elongating the holes.

I didn't buy one, as I recall the post included some pics, basically some of the holes were off by about .080" Not the end of the world, but not super high quality either.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Riddler, you're being incorrectly too matter of fact. There's a few options for clutch/flywheels. Depending on the person's use needs and pocketbook:

3/4 ton Hemi Ram flywheel and clutch
Challenger flywheel and dual disc clutch
McCleod has several choices
Fidanza
SPEC

I'm using a SPEC flywheel / dual disc clutch for a Challenger application in my 392 Cuda

I guess your right. But I did do a few searches for info and could only find McLeod being used for swaps. I'm guessing that it because of cost. Might be time to build a webpage with info for swaps. Maybe just a list of the products that work with pictures and part numbers.

Riddler

so the canton pan is discontinued.. but i emailed them and they replied saying they would give me a price quote when he talks to his gm. but the pan would be 10 weeks out...

If you look on my build thread ( Cuda SRT8 ) you can see the mock up pan I created and sent to Moroso to have duplicated in aluminum. It's a rear sump that fits nicely with TTI headers and an AlterK suspension. It holds about 8 qts. if I remember right. They TIGed it up and it looks like a piece of art. I believe I started another thread at the time that also has the pics and contact info so you can order one from Moroso. It's made by the "custom" department and is not a standard production part but actually costs less than their regular production Drag Pak, front sump pan. I think if you go to my build thread, it will refer you to the oil pan specific thread.

Oh, and an important note about my pan design, it sits no lower than the headers or cross member. Most everything else I saw out there at the time sat lower and was vulnerable on the street.

If you look on my build thread ( Cuda SRT8 ) you can see the mock up pan I created and sent to Moroso to have duplicated in aluminum. It's a rear sump that fits nicely with TTI headers and an AlterK suspension. It holds about 8 qts. if I remember right. They TIGed it up and it looks like a piece of art. I believe I started another thread at the time that also has the pics and contact info so you can order one from Moroso. It's made by the "custom" department and is not a standard production part but actually costs less than their regular production Drag Pak, front sump pan. I think if you go to my build thread, it will refer you to the oil pan specific thread.

Oh, and an important note about my pan design, it sits no lower than the headers or cross member. Most everything else I saw out there at the time sat lower and was vulnerable on the street.

thanks ill have to look into it.

welp i build the trigger on the rear sump drag pak pan and pick up. doesn't hurt that i got it for 300$ SCORE!!

That's a good and humungus pan. Cheap too. May have problems with stock K member. I believe it will hang pretty low also. Hope it works great. Let us know...

ill have a tubular k member in my demon so i won't have to worry about that to much. ill let y'all no how it works out.

I have a friend with one of those pans on an all aluminum, 449ci Gen3 in a late model Charger that also has a tubular cradle. The pan is deeper than the one I designed, but the engines sit up higher in the late model cars than in our A-bodies. You would be fine on the drag strip; street use may be a little "iffy".

ill mostly just be putting around on the streets (till my foot gets a lil twitchy, dam restless leg syndrome lol) just have to watch out for pot holes

-
Back