digital caliper "skipping"?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Digital caliper...when I opened it yesterday, I watched the numbers and at one point the numbers hit a 'dead spot' and them picked up again, throwing the measurement off. I tried it a few more times and then it seemed to clear and is working again. WTH? Was it moisture (damp garage) or just lack of use? There is no gears in this, I think it just rides over some sort of hall effect sensor or something? Old trusty mechanical gauge caliper proved the digital was off, then it proved it was accurate once it cleared.....

Yep, battery first. May be try some air like a aerosol can for computers. I've never had one apart and wouldn't want to spray it with cleaner.

All the cheap ones do that.

Slow down rolling the thumbwheel.

I have to press down a little on mine, too.

...or maybe the battery.

Thumbwheel? :lol:Did I mention that this was under $7? Haaa! When it works, it actually works pretty good. Ill replace the battery.
ronic-Digital-Vernier-Caliper-Micrometer-Measuring.jpg

I only got it as I needed to measure a bunch of metric stuff and didn't want to do the conversion off my SAE dial one.

Thumbwheel? :lol:Did I mention that this was under $7? Haaa! When it works, it actually works pretty good. Ill replace the battery.
View attachment 1716035406

I only got it as I needed to measure a bunch of metric stuff and didn't want to do the conversion off my SAE dial one.
If a new battery doesn't fix it toss it in the trash.

I actually worked in the calibration business for years. It's actually a dirty reader. It's a copper bar inside. Clean it with a pencil eraser. Two set screws on the top. Back them off. Slide out the copper bar. Clean it. Bam. Problem fixed.

I have a $300 set of Mitutoyo calipers... Never use them... Afraid I'll damage them... I have three General brand sets of calipers... Little more $$$ than the really cheap variety but they actually feel pretty good, fairly smooth action..... They even have a fractions mode...

If I'm serious about accuracy I have a full set of Starret Micrometers from 0-8"

I've probably fixed 500 in my career. But do what you think is best for you :)

How many have I calibrated? 9 or 10 Thousand? So I'm just a Rookie!

Yep, dirt. Keep it closed between readings. Thats how you keep it clean.

I have a $300 set of Mitutoyo calipers... Never use them... Afraid I'll damage them... I have three General brand sets of calipers... Little more $$$ than the really cheap variety but they actually feel pretty good, fairly smooth action..... They even have a fractions mode...

If I'm serious about accuracy I have a full set of Starret Micrometers from 0-8"

Correct. I use my Calipers almost daily at work but I know the limitations of accuracy. They are a set of Quinn from HF and are fine for my needs. I have really nice Fowler's and such at home but I don't see much difference honestly....

And yes, if I want to really measure something the Micrometers come out but I really don't do that in my daily task.....

JW

Something I noticed about a cheap HF caliper and a Mitutoyo.

If they are powered off then opened, one knows where it is the other thinks it is closed, don't remember which.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, I have a "low miles" Craftsman dial caliper that I bought in the Navy, in the early 70's. I doubt it's been out of the box 40 times. Last time I tried to use it, the gears stripped.

You need to go to full travel to closed before you use them a few times. But 8 years of calibration on these? Means nothing to most people. Do what you think best fits you.

Something I noticed about a cheap HF caliper and a Mitutoyo.

If they are powered off then opened, one knows where it is the other thinks it is closed, don't remember which.

I hate my mitutoyos. My cheap "OEM" brand digital from O'Reilly about 15 years ago keep going, but those mitutoyos... They turn on when you open them, but it takes a second before it starts to read, so you have to zero it each time. They also never turn off, so if I don't press the power button, the battery is dead the next time I grab them. Oh, and when you go to put them down, you'll likely jostle it just enough to turn them back on and they'll be dead next time. Close the case? They'll probably turn on. Jostle the case? They'll probably turn on. I think the battery has been dead now for 2 or 3 years but they still sit on my desk. Ugh.

Oh, and they're tighter to slide (thumb wheel barely works, takes way too much pressure) than anything I've ever felt, which makes them my least accurate set if they happen to have a fresh a battery in them. I've tried adjusting the slides, but the spine isn't flat enough apparently. If I get the tension just right in the first half inch, they're sloppy when further open. I like their depth mics, but these calipers suck. I bought them second hand and can't justify sending them for repair.

Similar for my mitutoyo micrometer. Stupid heavy action even after lots of cleaning and then oil. But they tend to at least be fairly accurate, just not useful for most of my needs.

The cheap calipers are smooth and slide easy with no play - made in Mexico of all places too. I hate a digital readout, but damn.. Never thought my $9.99 calipers would keep ticking and ticking. I kind of wanted them to die so I could get a "nice" set, but now I kind of love them.

The first sign the battery is going in my cheap set, it will start to read exactly 0.200 large, but randomly. A few weeks later the display gets dim, then starts to glitch.

My mitutoyos just straight up die. No warning. The "b" battery warning is always displaying on the micrometer too, even with a new cell (brand of battery doesn't matter).

Anyways...

I actually worked in the calibration business for years. It's actually a dirty reader. It's a copper bar inside. Clean it with a pencil eraser. Two set screws on the top. Back them off. Slide out the copper bar. Clean it. Bam. Problem fixed.
I dont think this one has that capability. Its all sealed and no screws. Like ToolmanMike says, Ill just pitch it if it acts up again and does not come around. I maxed it to 158.4mm then closed it to 0.00 a few times and it hit both spot on even doing it pretty fast so it may have just been a glitch.

Digital caliper...when I opened it yesterday, I watched the numbers and at one point the numbers hit a 'dead spot' and them picked up again, throwing the measurement off. I tried it a few more times and then it seemed to clear and is working again. WTH? Was it moisture (damp garage) or just lack of use? There is no gears in this, I think it just rides over some sort of hall effect sensor or something? Old trusty mechanical gauge caliper proved the digital was off, then it proved it was accurate once it cleared.....
Mine does exactly the same.
Seems to act up when its damp/cooler weather or the battery is on its way out.
I do a couple “test” measurements and it seems to clear up after I zero it a couple times.
Also check the battery contacts, clean and adjust (bend carefully if loose) to be sure battery is tight in its proper place.
Good luck.

I never have that problem with my manual analog calipers and mics. Imagine that.

I hate my mitutoyos. My cheap "OEM" brand digital from O'Reilly about 15 years ago keep going, but those mitutoyos... They turn on when you open them, but it takes a second before it starts to read, so you have to zero it each time. They also never turn off, so if I don't press the power button, the battery is dead the next time I grab them. Oh, and when you go to put them down, you'll likely jostle it just enough to turn them back on and they'll be dead next time. Close the case? They'll probably turn on. Jostle the case? They'll probably turn on. I think the battery has been dead now for 2 or 3 years but they still sit on my desk. Ugh.

Oh, and they're tighter to slide (thumb wheel barely works, takes way too much pressure) than anything I've ever felt, which makes them my least accurate set if they happen to have a fresh a battery in them. I've tried adjusting the slides, but the spine isn't flat enough apparently. If I get the tension just right in the first half inch, they're sloppy when further open. I like their depth mics, but these calipers suck. I bought them second hand and can't justify sending them for repair.

Similar for my mitutoyo micrometer. Stupid heavy action even after lots of cleaning and then oil. But they tend to at least be fairly accurate, just not useful for most of my needs.

The cheap calipers are smooth and slide easy with no play - made in Mexico of all places too. I hate a digital readout, but damn.. Never thought my $9.99 calipers would keep ticking and ticking. I kind of wanted them to die so I could get a "nice" set, but now I kind of love them.

The first sign the battery is going in my cheap set, it will start to read exactly 0.200 large, but randomly. A few weeks later the display gets dim, then starts to glitch.

My mitutoyos just straight up die. No warning. The "b" battery warning is always displaying on the micrometer too, even with a new cell (brand of battery doesn't matter).

Anyways...

Maybe they've been updated because I bought a new Mitutoyo caliper last year off McMaster-Carr and it works so much nicer than the multitude of Hazard Fraught ones I've used. No issues with it being too "tight", easy to slide but noticeably less play than the cheap ones, the jaws don't flex and bend if you push them a little too hard while measuring. IIRC mine auto-shuts-off too. It has an "Origin" feature where you set the actual true zero when first turning on or having just replaced the battery and it remembers that value "forever". Then you can use the Zero button to make a zero anywhere else on the ruler. The .0005" resolution is nice too for measuring shims and such, came in handy for selecting shims when I put together my 8 3/4" third member as they all have some tolerance.

-
Back