Dillinger adjustable UCA setup

-

360dartgts

Reaction score
Finally after a year of having these parts and life getting in the way I FINALLY am getting these in. I have the Dillinger adjustable UCA's and was wondering what people have done for the initial setup of these. What I'm wondering specifically is how many threads do you have showing above the lock nut on the threaded eyes both front and back? I really don't want to have to take these off a bazillion times to get it where I can have an alignment done.

Any input would be appreciated

John told me to have about 4 threads above the jam nut.

Ok I now have the UCA in place with 4 threads showing on both the front and back adjuster. Now I have another question. Bear with me please...

After installing the UCA I noticed that the ball joint is not perpendicular to the spindle, its at a rather severe angle. Here's a pic.
9684305512_9e825baea2_b.jpg

Also note the the grease seal is not even close to sealing I can fit my thumb in between the UCA and seal, not good. What am I doing wrong?

My seals were the same way

From what I've delt with I understand why they aren't being made anymore... Lack of attention to details. Now I have a set of upper control arms that we're not free and I cannot seal the ball joint so I'm stuck with UCA paperweights. Gotta love it!

This isn't a problem with John's UCA's, its a problem with the boots on pretty much ALL the ball joints out there at the moment. At some point the design of the boot changed, and they're nearly impossible to get sealed. I have the same issue with my Hotchkis UCA's (which cost about 3 times what John's cost), and the STOCK set of UCA's on my Duster. Although I haven't mounted them yet, based on what I can see the Magnumforce's UCA's I picked up for my Duster appear to have the same issue. Different ball joint manufacturers too. The new boots just suck, it has nothing to do with John's work at all. Or Hochkis', or Magnumforce's. They all have to deal with the same crappy ball joint boots.

As far as the angle on the ball joint goes, it would help if your picture would actually load. Keep in mind that all the tubular UCA's out there, including John's, add caster. That is visible as an angle on the ball joint, and since you haven't had an alignment yet, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The standard settings are just to get you in the ball park, more than likely your settings will not be the same. My Hotchkis adjustable UCA's aren't even close to being adjusted the same, and that's from side to side on a single car.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 9.41.04 PM.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 430
72 bluNblu...
That may be true but I think a simple solution would be to put a neck on the area where the boot attaches to the arm just like the factory. While I know this is a challenge to mfg. it needs to be done otherwise these are useless. If Hotchkis has the same issue it needs to be fixed. The problem had to be obvious before these were shipped to me I questioned it once I looked at the parts but thought maybe it'd work. This is something that should of been recitifed before they were shipped. IMHO. That's how it works where I work anyway.

I'm not trying to bash Dillingers work but this is a MAJOR problem. The powder coat is also coming off in sheets due to improper prep. I also ordered the adjustable strut rods and heim tie rods and the box they were shipped in had holes in it from it being too small to fit the parts and it was beat up in shipping. So if there are suppose to be spacers with the tie rod ends, which I have another post on this forum about, they were lost in shipment. Not entirely Dillingers issue but it started with a box that was too small for the parts. And the parts had a couple of loose sheets of bubble wrap to protect the parts in shipment which did nothing.

I've read several posts on how nice John is and I'm sure it's true. But the warm and fuzzies from that doesn't help me with getting my car back on the road. I didn't buy the "Nice guy" I bought the parts.

I had the same problem with my RMS uppers. I ended up ordering a set of poly boots that fit really tight around what little of the lower lower ball joint is exposed below the control arm.

72 bluNblu...
That may be true but I think a simple solution would be to put a neck on the area where the boot attaches to the arm just like the factory. While I know this is a challenge to mfg. it needs to be done otherwise these are useless. If Hotchkis has the same issue it needs to be fixed. The problem had to be obvious before these were shipped to me I questioned it once I looked at the parts but thought maybe it'd work. This is something that should of been recitifed before they were shipped. IMHO. That's how it works where I work anyway.

I'm not trying to bash Dillingers work but this is a MAJOR problem. The powder coat is also coming off in sheets due to improper prep. I also ordered the adjustable strut rods and heim tie rods and the box they were shipped in had holes in it from it being too small to fit the parts and it was beat up in shipping. So if there are suppose to be spacers with the tie rod ends, which I have another post on this forum about, they were lost in shipment. Not entirely Dillingers issue but it started with a box that was too small for the parts. And the parts had a couple of loose sheets of bubble wrap to protect the parts in shipment which did nothing.

I've read several posts on how nice John is and I'm sure it's true. But the warm and fuzzies from that doesn't help me with getting my car back on the road. I didn't buy the "Nice guy" I bought the parts.

As I mentioned, this isn't just a problem with the design of John's UCA's. Its not even a problem limited to tubular UCA's in general, the new ball joint boots don't even fit STOCK, factory UCA's, which have the landing area that "should" solve the problem. It doesn't. I can crawl under my Duster and take a picture, but its a problem with the ball joint boots being made now. Either they're shorter than they used to be, or the rubber is less flexible, because they don't stay sealed on the factory arms either. The boot pops off of that little neck on the factory UCA with suspension travel.

I had the same problem with my RMS uppers. I ended up ordering a set of poly boots that fit really tight around what little of the lower lower ball joint is exposed below the control arm.

So that makes Dillinger, Magnumforce, Hotchkis, RMS and the factory UCA's that all have the same problem. Its not a UCA issue, its a ball joint boot issue.

I've tried a set of poly boots as well, they work good for the lower ball joint, but not so great for the upper. Probably better than the rubber ones though.

Realistically though, I don't see how this is a catastrophe. You're running adjustable UCA's, which have unshielded heim joints on them. If you think they'll last longer than a ball joint without a boot on the street, I have bad news for you. They don't. Hotchkis shipped me replacement heims for my UCA's after just 7k miles of street driving, the originals were trashed. I've since decided that heim joints on a street car isn't the greatest idea if you're putting on any significant mileage, or running in any kind of weather. Heims are consumable parts on race cars, and street cars that see daily driver miles eat them up. Probably fine for weekend cars that don't see big miles or weather, but not a good idea for daily's unless you like changing heim joints and getting alignments frequently.

Still working without a picture of the issue, but have to checked the alignment yet? If your numbers are way off, you may see improvement when you bring it closer to the right alignments specs...

To anyone that may be interested I may have found a solution to the upper control arm ball joint dust boot not sealing. I used Energy Suspension part # 13014 and it sealed the UCA ball joint completly. If part # 13024 was available I bet it would not only seal it completly but give additional sealing surface. I'll take pics to better explain and show what I'm talking about next time I work on it but I thought you would like to know. I'm not sure but this may also work with the Hotchkis and RMS upper control arms but I'm not sure. Good luck fellow Mopar nuts!

Thanks, That's good to know.

To anyone that may be interested I may have found a solution to the upper control arm ball joint dust boot not sealing. I used Energy Suspension part # 13014 and it sealed the UCA ball joint completly. If part # 13024 was available I bet it would not only seal it completly but give additional sealing surface. I'll take pics to better explain and show what I'm talking about next time I work on it but I thought you would like to know. I'm not sure but this may also work with the Hotchkis and RMS upper control arms but I'm not sure. Good luck fellow Mopar nuts!

That's exactly what I used. I even flexed the ball joint in all directions while disconnected from the knuckle to see how good it was going to seal and it seemed to be the best solution.

Got a picture? Or application? When I type in 13014 over at energy suspension is gives a list of like 4 different part #'s...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 9.16.24 AM.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 294
Got a picture? Or application? When I type in 13014 over at energy suspension is gives a list of like 4 different part #'s...

Those are all the same. Could be different colors. If you look at the dimensions they all fall under the same.

72 bluNblu...

For what it is worth I purchased something from John that was very poorly packed. Having worked at the Post Office for close to 20 years I seen this on a daily basis. I mentioned the packaging short comings to John, his apparent response was to ignore leaving me feedback for the purchase..Of which now that I have made this statement his "followers" will no doubt have all sorts of excuses as to why he did this.... .I defended him in one of the other threads where he left someone hanging.....beginning to think I should not have....

You will have to buy that part number in one of the kits you have listed. unfortunately they are not sold individually at least as far as I know.

-
Back