DIM Electronic Advance Ignition

-
Here are more screen shots. I have installed the BT hardware on the IMS. It is now working with real communications. Prior work was done with an emulator I wrote to simulate the IMS.

The data logger is working, it saves data in a file for use with PC. Dropbox is used to move information from tablet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-20-12-17-32.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Screenshot_2013-02-20-12-21-09.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 220
I increased the RPM and MAP setting resolution, and added real-time scroll chart display. The controls allow toggling between timing curves and scroll chart.

Also shown is an example of a data log. Data acquisition rate is adjustable from 100 mS to 1 second.

Next I plan to add security features to setup controls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-02-10-55-43.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Screenshot_2013-03-02-10-55-32.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Screenshot_2013-03-02-10-56-47.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_2013-03-02-11-06-59.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 200
My Android application is nearly complete for the ignition system. I placed my tablet under a digital movie camera, made a short video and posted on YouTube. This is my first and only attempt at this. Perhaps in time, I will improve my presentation skills. As always comments welcome. [ame="http://youtu.be/vQ2uGKWJMds"]http://youtu.be/vQ2uGKWJMds[/ame]

I just purchased a new Samsung phone, and my application works!

I have also developed a dual sensor optical electronic advance distributor that can be used for both conventional and direct fire ignition. I will post a few picture from my computer later.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-31-20-14-44.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 195
Nice development. I particularly like the curve approach rather than the numerical "advance map" tables other controllers use. A few comments for later marketing, especially on the youtube video:
1. The combination of a spark controller, data logger, rev limiter, and tach & vacuum display is a great value.
2. You don't show the hardware behind the screens.
3. Turn the display 90 deg so people don't have to **** their head.
4. Make it a bit briefer or talk faster. Most people have a short attention span. Newscaster like Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw have a skill of sounding totally relaxed while spitting out words at an amazing pace.
5. Maybe show it controlling a real engine, or at least a few starting & ending shots so people can imagine driving it.
6. You don't mention knock control or other limits or warnings for advance. It appears to be totally manual settings other than the rev limiter.
7. You do show an advance reverse around idle, which is important to realize a stable idle where the engine doesn't want to surge (like my 69 Dart slant did).

Bill,
Thank you for all the helpful comments. Sorry about you having to **** your neck. I was trying to match aspect ratio camera and tablet, hoping viewers could rotate note book or tablet. I have now developed landscape views. I forgot that many are confined to desktop pc. My presentation was poor, but not bad for a first cut without script or edit. I normal speak quite fast, but shy, place a camera, microphone or pretty woman before me, and I am a mess.
It is not about marketing, I do not plan to create a company, I might sell the ip and work as a consultant.
Yes there are limits in the gui, but not idiot proof, but for someone that knows how to tune, it is wonderful.
The underlying work is required, as plan b, for any feedback controls. I have not shown features to protect my ip.
Am busy now with my improved distributor, and direct fire work. I am a foul weather developer, with good weather, I do other stuff.

Here is information on the improved distributor for electronic advance use. The first picture shows mechanical parts removed, they are not required. The second picture shows added parts, less the simple and light weight interrupters.

The sensors used are rated at automotive temperatures, and interfaces directly with my ECU.

Timing tests in comparison with the OEM Mopar VR sensor, shows significant improvement in accuracy.

Attachments

• IMG_0764 (800x593).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0762 (800x636).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 201
Kit,

Your distributor mod looks like an optical pickup. The Holley XR700 and XR3000 uses that, going back to the 1990's (maybe 1980's). I have had one in several cars. A plastic slotted disk goes under the rotor. They claimed 0.1 deg accuracy in their J.C. Whitney ad, though timing chain jitter and other things make that questionable. I think Allison was the original developer. There was another one in J.C. Whitney which used reflection off the points cam surface.

The optical sensor failed in one of my XR700's and replacements are >$50 so I picked it apart, researched the PN's, and ordered a new infrared transmitter & receiver from Digi-Key. Your approach with an integral receiver/detector is simpler and more robust.

My first opto distributor for my slant 6 was done for a science class report back in 1971. It was discrete, and I fabricated all parts for a used distributor I got at a junk yard. I built a CDI unit and created the interface.

The sensor shown above goes in a VW distributor to replace the points. The other sensor location, and interruptor replaces point cam for direct fire ignition.

It was developed in 2003, and has proven to be reliable. While in a different arrangement, the V8 system will also permit direct fire ignition.

I first started with an OEM Mopar VR distributor. The inter cylinder spark scatter is larger than desired. Part tolerances, and magnetic circuit irregularities impact sensor timings.

I am still working on the ignition system. After completing the Android interface and building the optical distributor I set out to make the code changes for the new distributor. It all seemed easy, then I hit a snag in my code. Then I got sidetracked by life, and several other projects.

I have been working to complete an Aztec 7 kitcar. That is where "KitCarlson" came from. In the 80's I built a few, drove for many years, and sold when people offered me $$$. This Aztec 7 is my second, bought for parts, that might be needed for my first. It was 90% assembled in 1992, and the last 10% is taking more than 90% of the time to complete.

I did install my engine management system on the VW boxer engine, it has direct fire ignition, port fuel injection, with idle speed and other control features. It amazed me by starting instantly. I am not driving yet, because I am doing all the body details for painting. This includes many adjustments and fabrication, to correctly make things work. Things like doors latches, popup headlights, tilt rear body...

Back to the original story, last night I found a math problem in my code. I overflowed a register, when making changes for the new distributor. So that is a major win. I can now get back to developing as time permits. I also picked up an Edelbrock 2176. for use with a TBI. The long term plan is direct fire ignition and TBI injection with bolt on system for the Barracuda.

I feel like John Candy in Uncle Buck with his quit smoking plan. I do projects and modify the plan as I go in steps, I learn more that way.

I feel like John Candy in Uncle Buck with his quit smoking plan.

redbeard.gif

Not much progress. I have developed an Android Bluetooth interface for 3D spark table. I am behind on in car testing. Bench testing is all good. The detail for paint on kitcar is becoming never ending. I also got sidetracked, in some ECU, and flowbench controller work for performance diesel engines.

Kit-

Keep up the good work. Your development projects make fascinating reading (even if they are over my head).

Desmo900,

Thanks for the encouragement. It seems it is always hard to find play time.

I need to box it up and do in-car testing. I have two platforms, one for bench test without case, the other for in-car. I need to upgrade the hardware for the in-car, for the Bluetooth 3.3V power source, and add a couple parts for the coil current limit. I have tested in car with USB-RS232 dongle, and works well except for a slight hesitation at low speed take off. The coil current limit will enable extended dwell time at low speed, with out excessive coil current. Prior work with 4 cylinder engines and different drive circuit did not have the problem. I have changed coil driver component for V8, and need to add external current control. I have bench tested and all is well.

The wife is very busy with a garment design for a fashion show, she is my driver so I have to wait for her to get free. We are both project people. I follow safe tuning practices :). It would be horrible to kill someone, or damage the Barracuda, just because of the distraction of testing. Around here defensive driving is essential.

-
Back