Dipstick tube in the freezer?? Anyone done this?

-

hosehead

Reaction score
So, I am a dipstick install away from firing my new 440 in the car. Of course, it's too tight(repop tube). The last thing I want to do is crack it obviously. I sanded the damn thing for an eternity today. Still super tight. I was just reading about people putting the tube in the freezer overnight to shrink the metal for an easier install. Has anyone successfully done this? Bad idea? Seems like it would shrink it but also make it brittle also. Thanks in advance for any help.

You should not need to do this overnight, and I would heat the engine.............substitute a bolt, whatever you can to run the engine up to temp, the dipstick should not take more than 10 min in a freezer to get down to temp.

Never tried this, but "it should help." I've installed bearings, etc, that way. Shrink the shaft, not the bearing LOL

I made mine a slip fit and used silicon to seal it. I tried a wrench over the lip and tried to hammer it in and just broke the tube. Doing like I mentioned above solved my problem and no leaks.

Most aftermarket tubes are to damn tight.I ran into the same thing on SB with a Mopar Performance dipstick and tube. I wound up grinding it down very carefully on a bench grinder and then polishing the tube. Freezing may help. I put pinions in the freezer before I press bearings on. Same with Sure Grips.

I beat mine in with a rubber mallet, it was i tight fit though.

So, I am a dipstick install away from firing my new 440 in the car. Of course, it's too tight(repop tube). The last thing I want to do is crack it obviously. I sanded the damn thing for an eternity today. Still super tight. I was just reading about people putting the tube in the freezer overnight to shrink the metal for an easier install. Has anyone successfully done this? Bad idea? Seems like it would shrink it but also make it brittle also. Thanks in advance for any help.
While I don't ever remember using that trick in a dip stick, I have used that trick on exhaust pipe. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.... I stuck the pipe in the snow and the muffler on top of the Kerosene heater. Let them sit for a bit, took out the baby sledge, stacked the pipe on top of the muffler, WHAMO!
No welding needed.

For the dip stick tube, I have done similar to the above grinding and lube. WD-40 coated the very carefully grinder down tube. Light pressure while rotating the tube.

Original tubes maybe a bit loose. RTV was used. I haven't had an issue with ether yet.

... super tight. I was just reading about people putting the tube in the freezer overnight to shrink the metal for an easier install. Has anyone successfully done this? Bad idea? Seems like it would shrink it but also make it brittle also. Thanks in advance for any help.

0°F or whatever your freezer is at won't make the metal brittle. It's probably not going to shrink it enough to make much difference either. Dry ice at around -100°F would work better, but then you might crack the tube if not handled carefully. But at that temperature it should slide right in with no force required.

Grease the tip and use a phillips head screwdriver in the top of the tube to support it and gently tap it down until it seats, be careful not to hit it too hard and bend'shrink the tube length...

If you want to use ice on the tube, also try a little propane torch around the hole to expand it also...

Sure i'll give my 2 cents here............
I would grind/polish the tube until it's a tap in type of press fit and use some RTV sealer on it.
You will thank yourself later if you ever have to remove it again!
It wouldn't take a lot of time really, it's only an inch or less that you're dealing with and it's a 1/4'' or so o.d. tube, you could even do it with a coarse file in 10 min or so from where you're at now..........

Thanks dartnut! I took it out of the freezer and it was still a little tight for my liking. So after a couple more minutes of sanding, I'm happy to report that it is in! Thanks everyone for the replies!

-
Back