Dirty ebayer selling VIN tag, etc

-
Not true, see above post.

thats USA laws not canada, things are different here.... only licensed shops can do it though and it has to be reported to DMV

the only time it is legal to replace a VIN is if a car is in an accident and one has to be replaced. Even then a liscensed body shop has to do it

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fraud.html

A bit of info from the state of Washington. When we moved here I did not have to go see dmv to get them transferred up here. No point in anybody arguing over this.....every state has its own goofy laws. As pointed out the Feds have there own opinion on it all.....

No doubt in my mind that dynacorn/amd/classic ind/Taiwan / Korea /china etc,all aftermarket are doing their best to help everyone build their forgery.So remember just because you have put lipstick on a pig will you tell everyone it's a pig or a beautiful bird in flight.Its original once but the lies can be never ending.

It's also in the government's best interest to create a more valuable car when the taxes are based on the value.

It states; "Since the Motor Vehicle Certificate of Title Act requires that the certificate of title for any vehicle that has been rebuilt, reconditioned, or remanufactured must so state on the face of the title" So that means all of your cars that have been restored and then sold without the title stating it are illegal too!!!!!

Also says vehicles 1987 and newer.

"authorizes the Secretary of Transportation to promulgate theft prevention (parts marking) standards. The parts marking regulations are set forth in 49 C.F.R. Part 541. The mandatory component identification requirement applies to certain high theft passenger car lines starting with model year 1987. In 1995, the theft prevention (parts marking) standard was expanded to include certain multipurpose passenger vehicles and certain non high theft lines beginning with model year 1997."

"To establish a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2321 the government must establish that: (1) the defendant acquired or possessed a road motor vehicle or component on which the vehicle identification number (VIN) or component identification number (after the component standard becomes effective) had been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered; (2) the identification number was one required by the United States Department of Transportation; (3) such removal, obliteration, tampering with, or alteration was done unlawfully; (4) the defendant was aware of the unlawful removal, obliteration, tampering with, or alteration; and (5) defendant had an intent to sell or otherwise dispose of the motor vehicle (or component part).
In most cases proof of the defendant's awareness of the stolen nature of the motor vehicle (or component) will satisfy the knowledge requirements. Also, the presence on the defendant's premises of several vehicles or numerous components lacking the proper numbers should help satisfy the knowledge and intent requirements.
"

People can post anything they want, but they need to read it before they try to make a case!!!

Even the FEDERAL part says that certain persons can legally do it.

"creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection (b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop shops.""

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fraud.html

A bit of info from the state of Washington. When we moved here I did not have to go see dmv to get them transferred up here. No point in anybody arguing over this.....every state has its own goofy laws. As pointed out the Feds have there own opinion on it all.....

Exactly. Every state is different. Georgia will not give a title on a old car if you don't have one.
If the title gets lost in the sale over the years you won't ever get one.
No way, no how.
I just bought a 67 with only a bill of sale. I had to get a cop to do a vin verification. Now it is registered.
Old cars are only registered in Georiga. When I moved to Washington state, they gave me Washington titles on my cars.
Made me get them and paid for them.
Right now I've got a 74 Georgia title on a 69 car.
I've got the bill of sale from the person who I bought the car from who it was been signed over to on the back of the 74 title.
Should I even worry about getting the title transfered to my name in Georiga??
To me the title is more valuable as it is,not in my name, because it shows the history of a matching numbers survior.
This is debating the wind.
What is moral is another issue.
My **** house lawyer tells me that intent to defraud probably has to be in the equation somewhere for it to be illegal.
This come subject up all the time.
I'll paste with a links to other threads here.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33720&highlight=re-body
As time goes by............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ebay strikes again.

SGBARRACUDA puts an interesting twist on the process.
The “body” did go somewhere.
Probably to the crusher.
Well, since you asked for thoughts, I’m going to paste something I wrote from a similar thread.

Honest is one thing.
“Salvation” is another.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...ne+body&page=2

Clones and “fakes”.
Seems to me it’s all in one’s perspective.

Perhaps a person more concerned that his Hemi whatever will be worth less because there are “more” of them? Or is it preferable to have more “Max Wedge” cars at the drive in instead of SS Chevelles?
(Remember the kid in the parking lot?)

It almost like people are trying to keep the bloodlines pure.
For who? For generations yet un-born?

GG says it is only “original” once.
And by my logic no matter how much one spends to “restore” a basket case, Chrysler didn’t build it.
Someone else did.

Follow this:
(Years ago I actually saw something very close to the following statement about metal in one of the Mopar publications. It was about a rare E Body Cuda that was “saved”.
Right then I knew……….)

Someone cuts up a perfectly good Satellite and grafts that metal onto a Road Runner carcass. The only thing that is saved from the Road Runner is the cowl, radiator support, trunk and roof.
I think that gets about all the body VIN numbers?
All the other metal came from the poor “donor” car.
This is call restoration and it is acceptable.
Yet we now have a whole body that Chrysler DID NOT put together.

But if someone takes the documentation from a hopeless Road Runner and puts that documentation on a nice Satellite body, we now have car with a body that Chrysler actually DID put together.
This is viewed as wrong by many “authorities”. It is a “re-numbered body”.

Which car would you want?
For better or worse, that is the way it is.

All it is is saving a set of numbers, not a car.

If it was just to have a car, put a set of 318 numbers on a dynacorn body, but that won't happen because of the profit issue.

Feds say one thing, states say another, just like med marijuana deal. Who do you want to bet on? If the feds decided it was an issue, goodbye to whatever you have, regardless of what the state says.
you got that right!

-
Back