Disappointed in my 383 on the Dyno

-

Rassnasty82

Reaction score
So went to get some tuning done and my 383 only laid down 329 hp and 356tq to the wheels on a Dyno jet. It’s bored 40 over, 10.1 compression, with the edlebrock rpm top end kit (heads,can,full roller setup, intake manifold) with a 750 qfl carb. TTI headers mated to a 4 speed with 3.91 sure trac rear. Aside from adding some giggle gas, best bang for my buck way to achieve 400-450 to the wheels?

I know you might be a little upset with the numbers. But, keep this in mind. Those are still really good numbers. Your probably making 83 more hp than factory. I bet it's fun to drive as well.

I know you might be a little upset with the numbers. But, keep this in mind. Those are still really good numbers. Your probably making 83 more hp than factory. I bet it's fun to drive as well.
It’s fun, but not panty dropping fun which is what I was looking for lol. I have other things to fix on the car but I would like to have a plan for the spring when I can get the car back to the Dyno

Those numbers look good to me. If you are missing your goal by 8hp be happy. If you want 50 more hp we would need complete info on it and exact comp. ratio as checked.

im not a big block expert but did you port the heads? what are your cam specs? Also did you have your push rod lengths and geometry checked? Timing and everything, i feel like you should be getting a little more but you didnt post cam specs

Those numbers look good to me. If you are missing your goal by 8hp be happy. If you want 50 more hp we would need complete info on it and exact comp. ratio as checked.

I suppose
im not a big block expert but did you port the heads? what are your cam specs? Also did you have your push rod lengths and geometry checked? Timing and everything, i feel like you should be getting a little more but you didnt post cam specs
cam specs are from the edlebrock package deal which I am not sure of at the moment. Pushrod length is more than likely standard 7 inches with 1.5 roller rockers. Sorry, I purchased this basket case and have been slowly fixing it little by little

Also, heads were installed from the box along with cam, and intake.

329 at the wheels is about 396 at the crank- that ain't bad. Need more info on current build before can make legitimate recommendations.

329 at the wheels is about 396 at the crank- that ain't bad. Need more info on current build before can make legitimate recommendations.
Timing is set at 37 wot with full msd system.
add a stroker kit, that'll get you there. oh, and more cam too.

should I keep the heads or sell the performer rpm kit and buy a new top end from trickflo or a higher flowing head? Would it make more sense to just have these heads sent to a machine shop and just upgrade the cam before doing a stroker? I suppose it might make more sense to do it all at once

Start talking to cam grinders about what your setup is and what your goals are. That cam doesn't really look much better than stock.

ANd that's not flywheel horsepower but wheel horsepower. What does a drivetrain loose? 40 horse?

Have you done a cranking compression test?

Is the SCR a measured "10.1," or is that just what the Summit ad says?

What's a "full roller setup?" Does that mean roller cam?

It’s fun, but not panty dropping fun which is what I was looking for lol. I have other things to fix on the car but I would like to have a plan for the spring when I can get the car back to the Dyno
I hate their cams and their heads need just a lil finessing.
Streetable 480-500 hp is what I'd expect a
"panty dropper 383" to put out , at the minimum .

So was this a dyno run with no tuning?
No some tuning but ran out of time. It’s pretty dialed in according to the tuner. And it’s a roller cam, with hydraulic lifters. So perhaps just send the heads off for some work to get the most out of these and spend the money on a stroker?

No some tuning but ran out of time. It’s pretty dialed in according to the tuner. And it’s a roller cam, with hydraulic lifters. So perhaps just send the heads off for some work to get the most out of these and spend the money on a stroker?

Was the cam degree'd or just put in "straight up" or "dot to dot"?

Was the cam degree'd or just put in "straight up" or "dot to dot"?
I did not install, the car came like this when i purchased it two years ago. My guess is it was installed straight up but i am not 100 percent sure

cam specs are from the edlebrock package deal which I am not sure of at the moment.

And it’s a roller cam, with hydraulic lifters.
Okay, a hydraulic roller?
We really need to know which "Edelbrock package deal" cam this is... too much speculation on what parts you have to give any realistic advice.

What's your issue with nitrous ?
Even if you dont have forged pistons or crank you can safely add a 150 shot for $450. . $3 per horsepower is a Good as it gets.

-
Back