Disappointed with my engine

-
Running Bonneville would be fun.
till u reach the limits of the sepention . with my 73 polara i thought it would do 150 but @ 142 it wouldn't steer ( front end was flooting too bsd so i lifted . this was done on a top end track at the chryslrr provif grounds back in tye late 70's-early 80's . mmci went there 2 times i think it was 1979 or 1980? when a 69 daytona tryed it they closed the top end run off to us (they didnt want us to chrash ),or get hurt as wewas guest there

the 73 polara i ran it over 120 a lot bit never got caught ( most of the cop cars then could only do 95 tops) i would run anyone for top end . @ 120 must guys gave up!

charles (2).jpg

Not necessarily in the 1/4 just top speed on the highway etc. could take all day to get there...:)

You’re right I should be more clear. As quick as humanly possible. Within the rules of my class. Bonneville is on the bucket list to at least go watch.

Not necessarily in the 1/4 just top speed on the highway etc. could take all day to get there...:)
In 73 I had a 69 350/350 hp 4 speed Vette l raced I don’t remember what on the interstate and hit 150 mph. I passed a car on the emergency lane at 120. Yeah I should be dead.

In 73 I had a 69 350/350 hp 4 speed Vette l raced I don’t remember what on the interstate and hit 150 mph. I passed a car on the emergency lane at 120. Yeah I should be dead.
if we blew a non speed ratedtire we would both be dead . yhe tires back then was not speed rated we didnt kow or csre we just mashed the gas & held on

Your right. I sometimes wonder how or why I have made it to 66.
luck lots of luck . but maythey made tires better back ten . like they use to make everything better back then made to last unlikre to day made to break ten u toss it & buy new look at the new cars . they cant get computer chips so they sit in the shop waiting on parts. or w was just luky

You’re right I should be more clear. As quick as humanly possible. Within the rules of my class. Bonneville is on the bucket list to at least go watch.
Better put it on your to do list soon.
I have been to Bonneville it is a real experience. We plan on going back for the 75th running, that my be the last year.

if you couldn't get a 140 out 68-69 road runner or gtx with a 4 spd 3.23 back in 68-70 then you probably should have helped mom in the kitchen

Just a final post script to all this. I have picked up a set of ported iron heads from a late 1970's early 1980's Gas class car that ran 10.20's at 2400lbs. Just have to clean 'em up and buy a set of valve springs and see what difference that makes. Wish me luck.

We used to do that stuff in the 80s and 90s! I would crawl out on hoods and "surf" by grabbing the roof.. but not at those speeds! But E lane passing? Yeah. I could only imagine now, do it and run out of e lane, into narrow overpass!

Just a final post script to all this. I have picked up a set of ported iron heads from a late 1970's early 1980's Gas class car that ran 10.20's at 2400lbs. Just have to clean 'em up and buy a set of valve springs and see what difference that makes. Wish me luck.
BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!

ok sounds good

Now that i have caught up here is my thoughts.
if your shifting at 6000 rpm as well as going thru the traps(finish line) at 6000 rpm..........anything bigger then a 650 will not make you go any faster(my opinion)
Next. Ask any porter and they will tell you the most impotent part of a port is 1/2 inch above and 1/2 inch below the valve seat. Why did i say this????? if they cut a 1.92 seat from a 1.88 original seat and didn't do anything else........that bigger valve will flow less cfm and will run BAD. Something to think about.

You need to try and not take offence to words on a page......that's all it is. And them words can help you run better and faster.
Zoomies are cool!!! But the cool factor is slowing you down. don't get up set about it. Try it! Prove we are wrong..........

My next Thought, your running a lot of lift, more lift then a un modified head can handle without the the retainer hitting the guide..........do you have enough spring to keep the valve from floating at that lift.
You have a new head so these thought should be in the back of you head for you new head.........

With a 5000 rpm stall, there is no reason for a vac secondary carb! But at this point, is vary minor for your power lose.

I run 4.56:1 gear ratio with a 26" slick. 408 that go's to sleep around 5800-6000 and still go thru the traps around 6500 rpm. in a 3800 pound car. So yours should be doing much better then 6000 rpm........Which you already know.:D

-
Back