Disc Brakes

-

dICKj

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Duster with front power disc brakes. Were all Duster disc brakes "Power", or was there a manual front disc brake option? I hate the "no feedback" of the power brakes and would rather have manual brakes, but I don't want to give up the front discs.

Yes, manual disc brakes were an option. Depending on the model, they may have had a different master cylinder bore size, but a lot of people use the "Power" master cylinder without the booster — it slightly reduces the pedal pressure required compared to the "Manual" master, which is notoriously stiff (but I'm familiar with the earlier 4-piston brakes — maybe the sliders aren't quite as gnarly). Basically, you could just pull the booster and find a non-power pushrod (but this is a little hard to find since they don't seem to sell them separately).

Most use a master with a 15/16 bore for manual brakes. Little more pedal travel and less effort.

Most use a master with a 15/16 bore for manual brakes. Little more pedal travel and less effort.

That's what I used on my convertible — it is the size originally spec'ed for power brakes, that's why I suggested he could just keep his existing MC. My fastback has the bigger bore that was original for manual brakes.

Isn[t it possible to shorten the power brake pushrod to fit for manual brakes?

Maybe, if you had a lathe. You'd need an example to work from.

-
Back