Disc brakes

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
I picked up a set of spindles with dust shields tonight and a set of kelsey hayes calipers from a 70 dart. Questions Will they bolt to my 66 Cuda balljoints? Are the rotors and hubs available? The calipers only have 2 pistons left that are stuck is there a kit available with pistons or can I use them as cores for a re-built set? Where do I get hoses and a master cylinder?

Yes, yes and yes. If the K-H discs will bolt up to my 1962 Valiant spindles, they'll sure as hell bolt on to your '66 model.

I was able to find all the parts I needed to rejuvenate my K-H brakes at NAPA.

I have to advise against rebuilding those calipers yourself. Reman'd are available. Atleast you do have the cores for exchange. Just my .02
Good luck

Ok I called Napa and they can get the caliper pistons and seal kits but not rebuilt calipers. They also can get brake pads. The thing is they said the rotors are discontinued.

Ok I called Napa and they can get the caliper pistons and seal kits but not rebuilt calipers. They also can get brake pads. The thing is they said the rotors are discontinued.

http://www.partstrain.com/ shows rotors,

www.rockauto.com shows calipers

RAYBESTOS Part # RC4175 {Professional Grade; Loaded Caliper, Remanufactured; Brake Pads Included; Bore Size=1.64" Inlet Thread=3/8X24 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24}
Front; Right; Organic

$93.79 $30.00 core, $123.79

A-1 CARDONE Part # 184407 {[Caliper w/Installation Hardware] Reman.}
Front Left; w/Kelsey Hayes Caliper w/4 Pistons; OE Metal Piston

$132.79 $30.00

http://www.partstrain.com/ shows rotors,

www.rockauto.com shows calipers

RAYBESTOS Part # RC4175 {Professional Grade; Loaded Caliper, Remanufactured; Brake Pads Included; Bore Size=1.64" Inlet Thread=3/8X24 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24}
Front; Right; Organic

$93.79 $30.00 core, $123.79

A-1 CARDONE Part # 184407 {[Caliper w/Installation Hardware] Reman.}
Front Left; w/Kelsey Hayes Caliper w/4 Pistons; OE Metal Piston

$132.79 $30.00
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you check the price for the new Centric rotors???

What a steal! $21.20 --- and Centric is an EXCELLENT quality supplier!

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?P...4259+4294961897+4294964832&Nr=AND(universal:0)

The lower ball joints are different between drum and disc cars as well as the attaching bolts. Try to save the hard lines on the calipers and all the hardware as replacements are not easy. Pistons and kits are the same as the '65-7 Mustang/Cougar. The hoses and M/C should be available at most good auto parts stores or online. I have some hub and rotor assy's but I doubt any of the rotor plates are within original spec limits. I've cut my own thinner than .980 with no problems but I won't make any guarantees. New rotor plates are available if you look a bit.
Thanks, Mark

I spent a lot of time looking for a K-H disc setup and finally quit due to high prices and poor availability. If you can really get rotors at $38, jump on them. The $21 might never been real. A year ago, Carquest listed the rotors at $60 but showed them as closing out at the end of the month. The Centric ones in the PartTrain link above don't look at all like K-H ones, so be skeptical, though '71 Darts should be the same K-H brakes.

In my case, I decided to rebuild the drum brakes and "roll-my-own" disk setup in the future, though it is trickier than it first appears. Several companies sell conversions, but none are totally elegant and all fairly expensive. Several make you switch to later upper control arms. Scarebird makes you re-drill rotor stud holes and grind caliper housings (depending on your wheels). I may post my solution when done someday. Perusing Pick N' Pull, it looks like '95 Camry calipers w/ 96 Voyager rotors (5x100 mm, 10"D) could work, with a custom mounting plate. Some issues are: strut attachment (bracket bolts to front), rotor bolt pattern, rotor axial position ("tophat" depth), hub register hole, hub clearance ("tophat" ID).

K-H discs are great, but expensive. Stainless Steel Brakes rebuilds them and they are good forever with DOT 5 brake fluid. I would get all the correct parts if I were you. Rotors, ball joints. I use the 67 K-H master cylinder and a new set of 67 Barracuda stainless steel lines. You will also need an adjustable proportional valve to the rear. Hoses are available in OEM and braided stainless steel.

I spent a lot of time looking for a K-H disc setup and finally quit due to high prices and poor availability. If you can really get rotors at $38, jump on them. The $21 might never been real. A year ago, Carquest listed the rotors at $60 but showed them as closing out at the end of the month. The Centric ones in the PartTrain link above don't look at all like K-H ones, so be skeptical, though '71 Darts should be the same K-H brakes.

In my case, I decided to rebuild the drum brakes and "roll-my-own" disk setup in the future, though it is trickier than it first appears. Several companies sell conversions, but none are totally elegant and all fairly expensive. Several make you switch to later upper control arms. Scarebird makes you re-drill rotor stud holes and grind caliper housings (depending on your wheels). I may post my solution when done someday. Perusing Pick N' Pull, it looks like '95 Camry calipers w/ 96 Voyager rotors (5x100 mm, 10"D) could work, with a custom mounting plate. Some issues are: strut attachment (bracket bolts to front), rotor bolt pattern, rotor axial position ("tophat" depth), hub register hole, hub clearance ("tophat" ID).
The $21 rotors are real....I just got a set from PartsTrain and they look nice. It cost me just under $60 for a pair delivered all the way across the country to my door. I've bought caliper kits off E-bay for under $20. If you want to keep the small bolt pattern, it's the only way to go.
Mark

-
Back