Distance between LCA bumper and frame.

-

hula

Reaction score
What’s the minimal distance you want between the LCA rubber bumper and frame while still having functional front suspension.

It all depends on how big of a bump you want to be prepared for.

Alan

It does have a lot to do with what diameter Torsion bars you are using, the larger the bars, the closer you can have them. They wont flex as much and hit the rebound.

What Tim said.

Totally depends on what size torsion bars you have. The larger the diameter of the torsion bar, the less distance you’ll need.

It also depends on the bump stop. The factory rubber bump stops are progressive, so, hitting the bump stop isn’t as harsh as if you’re running a polyurethane button style bump stop. The factory basically used the bump stops as part of the suspension. With a little polyurethane bump stop you’re just using it to keep the suspension from going metal on metal. So if you have poly bump stops, you don’t want to hit them very frequently.

With stock torsion bars at the factory ride height, you pretty much need all of that distance from the LCA to the frame. With 1.12” bars and poly bump stops, I run a little less than 1” of clearance between the bump stop and frame. If you want to run less than that, you need bigger bars. If you run smaller bars than that, you’ll need more space.

So, what torsion bars do you have?

What Tim said.

Totally depends on what size torsion bars you have. The larger the diameter of the torsion bar, the less distance you’ll need.

It also depends on the bump stop. The factory rubber bump stops are progressive, so, hitting the bump stop isn’t as harsh as if you’re running a polyurethane button style bump stop. The factory basically used the bump stops as part of the suspension. With a little polyurethane bump stop you’re just using it to keep the suspension from going metal on metal. So if you have poly bump stops, you don’t want to hit them very frequently.

With stock torsion bars at the factory ride height, you pretty much need all of that distance from the LCA to the frame. With 1.12” bars and poly bump stops, I run a little less than 1” of clearance between the bump stop and frame. If you want to run less than that, you need bigger bars. If you run smaller bars than that, you’ll need more space.

I have the PST 1.03 torsion bars, bilstein shocks, triangular factory rubber stop and will run a 215/70/14 tire. Kinda curious where most run their bump stops. Seems like the stop 3/4 inch from frame might be good. Looking at how low some guys cars are their stops must be on the frame. I’d like for my suspension to be active.

What Tim said.

I have the PST 1.03 torsion bars, bilstein shocks, triangular factory rubber stop and will run a 215/70/14 tire. Kinda curious where most run their bump stops. Seems like the stop 3/4 inch from frame might be good. Looking at how low some guys cars are their stops must be on the frame. I’d like for my suspension to be active.

Even with the factory stops you need more than an inch of clearance with the 1.03” bars. If you run with a 3/4” of clearance and the 1.03” bars you’ll be on the bumpstops all the time with suspension travel.

Like I said, with 1.12” bars and just under 1” of clearance I still occasionally hit the short bump stops I run. The 1.03” bars will have a wheel rate that’s probably about 15-20% less than the 1.12’s I have. That means you need about 15-20% more clearance between the bump stop and the frame if you don’t want to be hitting the bump stops all the time.

I usually set up about 1". On our street cars (.890" with big blocks) we don't hit the stops, but we're not cornering hard or hitting dips hard (not trying to, at least). Less clearance than that and it does hit in normal driving.

-
Back