Distributor choices for a Magnum

-

KevinB

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to pick a distributor but am just getting bogged down in all the information. I'm still a novice when it comes to engine building. My engine is a 5.9 Magnum, and I've seen many distributors that claim they don't work with magnums...although I've seen other sources say that all molar small block distributors will work in a magnum. In my case, I'm running a holley sniper, so I guess you could lump me in with the carbuerated crowd, if that makes a difference, since I'm not MPI or anything.

The other terms I'm getting bogged down in are vacuum/mechanical/computer controlled, HEI, hall effect, etc etc etc. I just have no idea what I actually need. Maybe if I just lay out what I'm looking for, someone can recommend one for me.

I'd like to keep the engine bay as clean as possible, so if it has a coil built in great. If it doesn't need an ignition box to work, awesome. I'd really love one with a built in rev limiter, but that may add too much cost. This car will be 90% street driven, and around 380hp.

Any ideas on a unit that won't break the bank?

I should clarify that the holley sniper I'm using IS a EFI kit, but it's an all in one retrofit solution, as opposed to a MPI system, which is why I am under the impression that you just treat it as a carb with regards to the distributor.

Any distributor for a small block will fit.

I went the other way when I did my MS3 install. I only needed a cam sensor so I have a 5.2 magnum distributor installed.

I've had good experiences with the MSD e-curve.

Once your total timing is determined and set, You can select from a large variety of pre-programmed ignition curves by switching two dials which each have 10 positions.

You can do this without moving the distributor, the adjustment is underneath the cap. IMO This is miles ahead of the old-school technique of removing your dizzy entirely, adjusting it's internal components and then refitting it for a test run.

It also has a built in adjustable rev-limiter, again with a simple twist of a dial.

It is a little larger in diameter than anything that was OEM in our small blocks. My car is a 1966/1967 and clearance is very tight.

As for the price, it's not particularly cheap. But it does work well and very few other mopar dizzy's on the market have a built in rev limiter. I bought mine from amazon as they were the cheapest i could find with shipping to aussieland, but summitracing should be able to do a price match.

Is it possible you could rig your EFI to perform the rev limitting function by cutting fuel instead of paying for an ignition system with that feature?

I've been really happy with my HEI style ready-to-run distro. I have a 5.9 magnum in 65 Valiant and it fits fine. I mounted the e-coil on the pass side inside firewall to keep it clean. Fires up immediately and performs great. Very inexpensive. Just no built in rev limiter.

A pertronix will NOT work with the sniper at all. And an hei unit will not allow you to control timing if you want that feature.

If you want the most budget option, that will allow you to do timing control also...here it is.
TSP-JM7613R Mopar SB Pro Series Pro-Billet Electronic Distributor. Red Cap

And this rotor.
Adjustable Race Rotor MSD Ignition 84211 - Pace Performance Parts

I do member discounts. Let me know. Hopefully you didnt buy the sniper elsewhere yet, because I could have saved you $ 100

A pertronix will NOT work with the sniper at all. And an hei unit will not allow you to control timing if you want that feature.

If you want the most budget option, that will allow you to do timing control also...here it is.
TSP-JM7613R Mopar SB Pro Series Pro-Billet Electronic Distributor. Red Cap

And this rotor.
Adjustable Race Rotor MSD Ignition 84211 - Pace Performance Parts

I do member discounts. Let me know. Hopefully you didnt buy the sniper elsewhere yet, because I could have saved you $ 100

Thank Johnny, I'll check those out. No, the sniper is not purchased yet, gonna have to wait until next christmas most likely

I've had good experiences with the MSD e-curve.

Is it possible you could rig your EFI to perform the rev limitting function by cutting fuel instead of paying for an ignition system with that feature?

It occurs to me that the sniper does have ignition timing control, but I haven't been able to find reference to a rev limiter built in. Maybe Johnny could answer that one? And maybe if the sniper is doing the ignition control then I could go with an HEI and skip the external coil?

-
Back