Distributor Gasket

-

jau126

'65 Dart GT 273 904
Reaction score
So I took the distributor out earlier to make tightening the rear intake manifold bolts easier. Got the new seal for the distributor out and the dang O-ring provided wants to fall straight down into the engine. Anyone else experience this with the Felpro 6464? Am I wrong that you are just supposed to carefully supposed to try and set the o-ring on the slightest of chamfers around the distributor hole and hope it stays? (First attempt to get the distributor in it did not seat into the oil pump gear properly. When I pulled it out the o-ring had fallen in.)

??????????????????????????????????????? If dist has a groove IN THE distributor the o ring fits there. If no groove you must use a flat gasket

Like this

mopar-electric-distributor-fits-273-thru-360-chrysler-engines-4.png

Some older ones are not grooved, need a flat composition gasket

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
??????????????????????????????????????? If dist has a groove IN THE distributor the o ring fits there. If no groove you must use a flat gasket

Like this

View attachment 1715593799

Some older ones are not grooved, need a flat composition gasket

View attachment 1715593800
Agreed, you do have to watch out if it is dual point or just points you usually have to use a metal gasket for a good ground, electronic it is not a issue.

Agreed, you do have to watch out if it is dual point or just points you usually have to use a metal gasket for a good ground, electronic it is not a issue.
The old one wasn’t metal with no issues to speak of. (Not a dual point.) Sjould I try and find a metal one to put on?

Happens. I walk away and go back when I get tunnel vision.

The old one wasn’t metal with no issues to speak of. (Not a dual point.) Sjould I try and find a metal one to put on?
If it grounds out fine through the hold down your good. Mostly on the dual points because they are painted. If it does have a bad distrib ground the spark kind of walks around if that makes sense.

If it grounds out fine through the hold down your good. Mostly on the dual points because they are painted. If it does have a bad distrib ground the spark kind of walks around if that makes sense.
Okay. Thanks. I honestly think that it could be the factory or factory replacement distributor.(it still has the original spare in the trunk.)

What is it give me car, motor/trans and carb I can look it up and get you a number if needed.

The clamp should do it but if this is a dual point check for sure that it has the ground pigtail inside. The breaker plate advances on a ball bearing on those and needs the internal ground strap fer certain

Those leads fray and break a lot and cause serious spark scatter.

-
Back