Distributor Questions

-

YoungDuster

Reaction score
Hey guys im upgrading my electrical and figure if im in there lets get rid of the old points, but also the distributor i picked out is hei will i need to change my ignition coils ill post the parts im wishing to use with each other and if they will work or not let me know also suggestions are welcome!, do you guys think this will be a good combonation for a 1972 plymouth duster also do i require a mechanical tach drive?

Summit Racing Street & Strip® Ready-to-Run Billet Distributors SUM-850028
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-850028/overview/

and the coils are Mallory Canister Style Ignition Coils 29217
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/maa-29217/overview/

First off, I'm not an ignition expert but that being said, I don't think that is an HEI distributor, it just has an HEI style cap.
Also, if you look at the bottom of the coil page, it says it is for points style distributor only.

HEI & MSD ready to run are both inductive ignitions. The HEI style cap has better positive plug wire retention.

Why go with a mallory coil and not a matching MSD coil? Get a matching blaster 2 coil.

The MSD distributor and coil are a good setup.

Remember to read up and set up the distributor advance bushing/advance springs before you install it.

HEI & MSD ready to run are both inductive ignitions. The HEI style cap has better positive plug wire retention.

The MSD distributor and coil are a good setup.

Remember to read up and set up the distributor advance bushing/advance springs before you install it.

I'd highly recommend the MSD pro billet with an MSD coil.

It looks like the Pertronix distributor, so may just be relabeled. That is an HEI-type module, but not interchangeable w/ a GM module. You could buy 4 of the Chinese ready-to-run HEI distributors for that price ($45 ebay). They work for most people.

That coil looks like for points ignition (1.4 ohm coil). It will work, but you could get a stronger spark with an e-core coil, and for much less price. If you want to stay Mopar, a coil from a Magnum V-8 engine would work.

well what combo would you suggest for a 318 with about 350 hp (will be adding headers ASAP so possible power increase) has a 750 holley carb on it poissbly post links to the item so i can check out the exact one your talking about please. ill be replacing old sparks for HP sparks and HP wires.

-
Back