Distributor

-
. I am going with a 7AL digital on this car. I ran a locked out mallory with a 6AL digital in my other car, but it was a small block.

Factory electronic. Cheap, plentiful and small diameter/ height. You can easily modify the mechanical and vacuum advance curves to whatever you want and can use to run the factory electronic box or any aftermarket (msd) box.

IMO aftermarket distributors are one of those things people spend good money on that really do nothing for performance or reliability. Often they need just as much, or more work and tweaking to tailor them to your engine as a factory distributor would.

A stock distributor at AutoZone.
Problem with those they fit so many specific applications so no guaranteed curve, say you order one for a 400 4 bbl you can be getting one for a 383 2bbl. They curve them in the middle if at all.

I have been doing a ton of Mopar distributors and it seems the rebuilt ones never come with a tag, the stock ones are really easy to curve, just get the right advance cam and vac advance really simple. Lighter springs let it get there faster. MP hei pickups are out there nos and not really that bad. Aftermarket I like the Mallory for one reason you can fully adjust the mechanical advance, the Accell have usually three positions but have ball bearings.

Just giving my real-world experience with my 410 Stroker. Had complete stock setup with a plugged vacuum advance and then a full MSD- the ignition, distributor, coil, spark plug wires- the whole nine yards and did not see not even .001 difference at the drag strip.

Problem with those they fit so many specific applications so no guaranteed curve, say you order one for a 400 4 bbl you can be getting one for a 383 2bbl. They curve them in the middle if at all.

I had a mopar distributor and when I shot it with the timing light it bounced around real bad. After replacing it with a MSD it's rock solid . Much more crisp, but I did had to phase the rotor.

Last edited:
Then you had your ignition at tip top shape! Good job.

IMO, you just need to optimize the set up you have. The distributor itself can be recurves. Once you get that in your basically done. Assuming you have a good coil and anhot box. Chrome units are very good.

Then you had your ignition at tip top shape! Good job.

IMO, you just need to optimize the set up you have. The distributor itself can be recurves. Once you get that in your basically done. Assuming you have a good coil and anhot box. Chrome units are very good.

Thanks for the info. I heard to stay away from the orange box, so nice to know the chrome one works.

I have a Mopar Dist. with adjustable Vac. Advance and mechanical adv.. When timing my engine, I loosened the hold down, but kept it a little snug and it bounced around pretty bad. So I played with it and loosened it up so it was free and the bouncing stopped.
The shaft must be a hair too long, but I can fix that.

The Chrome box has worked very well for me.
The Orange box pulls timing out of the high end.
"Other boxes" have been from OK
To very nice with marginal gains, if any, over the Chrome box. I had an FBO box which was very good. (Sold with other car.)

The MoPar distributor can be a funny peice. I have not had a need to go crazy on it. Some people end up welding the advance plate inside. Limiting the total.

I now am trying the Pace ready to run. Just like the MSD. I just haven't had the time to field with it yet.

What would be a good distributor to use on a stroked 383 bracket engine?

I was running a stock distributor and when I put a timing light on it was bouncing around all over the place. I put a MSD in it and it was rock solid.

Well bought another mallory unilite. We'll see how it goes. They have been good to me in the past.

Can anyone tell me the installed height of the MOPAR Electronic Distributor on an LA engine from the block to the top of the plug wire towers on the cap? I have an MSD "ready-to-run" Pro-billet distributor but it's too tall and hits the 3 speed wiper motor. I'm running a 408 stroker in a 67 Barracuda FB with a Magnum Force K-member. Also, anyone know if a 2 speed wiper motor can be adapted to my application and if so, what part number(s)?

Can anyone tell me the installed height of the MOPAR Electronic Distributor on an LA engine from the block to the top of the plug wire towers on the cap? I have an MSD "ready-to-run" Pro-billet distributor but it's too tall and hits the 3 speed wiper motor. I'm running a 408 stroker in a 67 Barracuda FB with a Magnum Force K-member. Also, anyone know if a 2 speed wiper motor can be adapted to my application and if so, what part number(s)?
I'm not sure what this has to do with the original poster and his question about a distributor for a big block car but anyways I have the same setup with a stock K frame and it doesn't seem like there would be any problem putting the windshield wiper motor above it? It could be that aftermarket K frame sets the motor higher? But then it seems like the transmission would hit, something doesn't seem right. My 41 Studebaker has vacuum actuated windshield wipers? LOL

I'm not sure what this has to do with the original poster and his question about a distributor for a big block car but anyways I have the same setup with a stock K frame and it doesn't seem like there would be any problem putting the windshield wiper motor above it? It could be that aftermarket K frame sets the motor higher? But then it seems like the transmission would hit, something doesn't seem right. My 41 Studebaker has vacuum actuated windshield wipers? LOL
You're right about this having nothing to do with a big block, just looking for answers were ever I can get them. As for the k-member, this is one of several issues I'm working through...wouldn't recommend a Magnum Force k-member to anyone with a small block. It seems they're only engineered for the big block in the a-body.

You're right about this having nothing to do with a big block, just looking for answers were ever I can get them. As for the k-member, this is one of several issues I'm working through...wouldn't recommend a Magnum Force k-member to anyone with a small block. It seems they're only engineered for the big block in the a-body.
If you're having trouble starting a thread when you have a problem let someone know and then we'll help you start a thread for your problem in the appropriate place, no problem! LOL and remember a picture's worth a thousand words.

If you're having trouble starting a thread when you have a problem let someone know and then we'll help you start a thread for your problem in the appropriate place, no problem! LOL and remember a picture's worth a thousand words.
Thanks...I have since figured it out and have gotten a number of good responses. As far as uploading a picture, I have not yet figured that out...it seems that you must be a gold member to do that, or am I wrong?

Thanks...I have since figured it out and have gotten a number of good responses. As far as uploading a picture, I have not yet figured that out...it seems that you must be a gold member to do that, or am I wrong?
IMG_20180424_193743.jpg

Here's a picture I took the other day of some swamp flower and my member Is Not Gold!

-
Back