Distributor ???

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me what the numbers on the SB vacuum advance canister arm mean.
See attached pics.
I'm rebuilding a couple of distributors, and am curios. These numbers are not visible when the distributor is assembled.
I'm geussing they are something to do with vacuum.
Dave

20201024_143014.jpg

20201024_143054.jpg

There is article by Ehrenberg in Mopar Action w pics this month explaining the mech advance and how to limit mech.

8.5 distributor degrees, 17.0 crankshaft degrees, R - right hand rotation distributor.

Now, want to make it easy to start, AND get between 20 and 24 IDLE degrees? If so, shoot for 14 INITIAL and add with full vacuum, 10 crankshaft degrees for a total idle of 24 degrees.

A very simple degrees stop can be made for the vacuum advance, ask for pictures and instructions at: [email removed by staff]Totally free, no ads, just how to do it right. Yes, works on more than just GM vacuum advances.

8.5 distributor degrees, 17.0 crankshaft degrees, R - right hand rotation distributor.

Now, want to make it easy to start, AND get between 20 and 24 IDLE degrees? If so, shoot for 14 INITIAL and add with full vacuum, 10 crankshaft degrees for a total idle of 24 degrees.

A very simple degrees stop can be made for the vacuum advance, ask for pictures and instructions at: [email removed by staff] Totally free, no ads, just how to do it right. Yes, works on more than just GM vacuum advances.

Is this YOUR email? Why not just post the "how to" right here?

I'm rebuilding a couple of distributors, and am curios.
Not all cans interchange; there are two types for ccw operation and two for cw; the difference being for points or for electronic. In each family there are many ratings of total advance possible, and most are adjustable as to rate and minimum vacuum required. They are a heckuva lil gizmo.

Why, yes, the email address is mine, and gives detailed info, with pictures of how to add stops to vacuum advances that have the correct vacuum level for the engine build application, but too many degrees of timing for that engine, A simple stop that separates vacuum level from degrees given, so vacuum advances can be used as they should be, on full manifold vacuum, to supplement low to no load operation.

Stop the pin travel to limit advance, DON'T PUSH THE PIN INTO THE SPRING.

A vacuum advance should never be used as a second acceleration curve on any non EGR valve engine. ONLY time ported vacuum should be used is on functional EGR EMISSIONS engines.

gmvacuumadvancepacket@gmail.com NOT just for GM vacuum advances.

Crane 99619-1 plate.jpg
GM advance Crane plate.jpg

-
Back