Distributor

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
Is anybody running a DUI distributor for a sbm? I was wondering if it would be worth going to one? I believe that the I that I was thinking about using already has the gm 4 pin control module and also has the curve kit installed

I had a negative experience with DUI. Ordered a distributor with a custom curve. Installed on new stroker on dyno. It fired and worked a couple of times and then nothing. Another brand of distributor(MSD) fired right up. Called DUI. They said I could send back but it would be a while before they could test. Nice lady on the phone indicated they had a "pile" of them waiting to be tested. I am going to have tested locally this week and I will advise results. I googled DUI issues/problems and it seems many of the issues folks have are with grounding. This is only my experience and I will update you as I learn what my issue is.

.....................LINK?..................

To the website?

Just use a 340 distributor or any sbm electronic dist with a tweaked curve, and Mopar box and be done. Halifax hops can set you up.

you're thinking about ignition before you even have a car?

cart ==> horse ==> ??

Our member @halifaxhops would make you a custom distributor, I suggest talking to him.
Cheers .
Thanks
you're thinking about ignition before you even have a car?

cart ==> horse ==> ??
I'm trying to get a idea of what I may want to do with it, it's called planning ahead not getting the cart before the horse. I've known people who wasted time and money on their cars simply because they didn't do any research

Thanks
I'm trying to get a idea of what I may want to do with it, it's called planning ahead not getting the cart before the horse. I've known people who wasted time and money on their cars simply because they didn't do any research
sounds like an absolute bass akwards way of doing things.

I can think of a laundry list of other things that I'd want to do to a car before even considering the ignition; starting with, ya know, buying a car.

the OE IE works great. it's a proven system that is inexpensive, reliable and widely available why over think it?

Hard to beat good ol MSD. Readily available and lots of info. Nothing wrong with Factory either. As for the rest of it, it may be worthy however I want support a d repair options if necessary...

JW

I can think of a laundry list of other things that I'd want to do to a car before even considering the ignition; starting with, ya know, buying a car.

the OE IE works great. it's a proven system that is inexpensive, reliable and widely available why over think it?
I'm currently looking at a couple. Looking forward to car shows

Going to make this pretty simple.

If the engine is well built so there is good mixture and heat in the chamber, then it will not take a lot of voltage to jump the gap and not alot of current will be needed for the kernal of flame to grow. Back in the 1960s when people were ignorant, this was done with flint and steel. OK. I"m being a wiseguy there. But seriously all these engines ran on the mighty power of points, and good part of the reason they do is in the chamber spark will initiate without some crazy high voltage and have enough energy left to keep it burning until the flame grows on its own.

When we stuff an engine up, or build it for a purpose that results in cold burns, poor mixtures, or are pushing the envelope, then some of these fancy things get that flame going better and have less misfires.
Not all of those things fit well with an LA engine in an A-body.
A lot of those things are junk even if in theory they are more consistent or 'powerful' than than points or factory ECU.
For example do a search for 'Skip White' distributor.

Don't think that an MSD is the answer either, I had an E Core MSD and put it in my small block for nearly a year and everytime I let the car sit for a few weeks I could not start it. It appears that it needs high battery voltage to fire!. Well it finally failed about twelve months in so I put my chinese junk $60 unit in and it, started much better and ran better as well. I eventually put ICE ignition system in it but I purchased a 318 car that had sit for 30 years and recoed everything and put that junk distributor in it and it runs real good!

Well I finally found the

GOD DAMNED WEBSITE

No thanks to anyone here

All that is .........is.............a "similar to" a stock Mopar breakerless distributor, probably rebuilt and hopefully recurved, with a bracket added to mount a GM 4 pin HEI module, "and a coil."

That is all that is. MANY of us have done the same only WE called it "DIY" instead of "DUI."

One of the members here, think it might have been Greg, re-drew my henscratched diagram

4pin-jpg-jpg.jpg

heidiagram-jpg.1714501953

Its pretty hard to beat a Chrysler distributor. I’d use that long before ANY HEI type ignition.

Didn’t like the HEI when it came out, don’t like it now.

The Chrysler distributor, correctly curved with any decent ignition box (I prefer an actual Mallory box, not that **** that MSD is sticking a Mallory sticker on) is hard to beat.

DUI was David Unified Ignition. Whether it was gobbled up by another company or what I have no idea.
-----------------------------------------------
Once thing about a Chrysler advance mechanism is that that it can tolerate two very different springs and with no problems.
Some of the aftermarket designs don't hold up long term to that type of curve shaping.

What's OE IE?

Hard to beat good ol MSD. Readily available and lots of info. Nothing wrong with Factory either. As for the rest of it, it may be worthy however I want support a d repair options if necessary...

JW

Can't prove that by me. Had an MSD box on the 64 Barracuda and started having problems, so I put the old Chrome box back on it, and it was a whole new car. Trashed the MSD box and never looked back. And that was in the 80's or 90's.

I have a DUI paper catalog [ remember those? ]. In it, in more than one place, it talks about the 'explosion' of the A/F mixture. Of course there is no explosion during normal combustion & anybody who is selling ign components & doesn't know this.....should not be in the ign business.
The DUI stuff is overpriced.
The most important part of the electronic inductive ign system is the module & coil; & the HEI module & E core coil produces the highest output for a very modest price & is very simple to hook up. A no brainer. The stock type HEI module which switches, 5.5 amps can be upgraded to a MSD # 83647 module that switches 7.5 amps & has an inbuilt rev limiter. Testing by D. Vizard showed the MSD module ran to 8500 rpm, the limit of the test rig.
The spark testing was done using pressurised nitrogen @ 142 psi, which is a more severe test the conditions in a running engine.

I have a DUI paper catalog [ remember those? ]. In it, in more than one place, it talks about the 'explosion' of the A/F mixture. Of course there is no explosion during normal combustion & anybody who is selling ign components & doesn't know this.....should not be in the ign business.
The DUI stuff is overpriced.
The most important part of the electronic inductive ign system is the module & coil; & the HEI module & E core coil produces the highest output for a very modest price & is very simple to hook up. A no brainer. The stock type HEI module which switches, 5.5 amps can be upgraded to a MSD # 83647 module that switches 7.5 amps & has an inbuilt rev limiter. Testing by D. Vizard showed the MSD module ran to 8500 rpm, the limit of the test rig.
The spark testing was done using pressurised nitrogen @ 142 psi, which is a more severe test the conditions in a running engine.
Would you do me a favor? Post a picture of somewhere there in Australia. Thanks

Can't prove that by me. Had an MSD box on the 64 Barracuda and started having problems, so I put the old Chrome box back on it, and it was a whole new car. Trashed the MSD box and never looked back. And that was in the 80's or 90's.

I have been lucky in regards to most MSD products. I only recall one components failing out of probably 50 or more I have owned and installed. But I have ready horror stories about problems with them. And if the OEM works for you stick with it.....

JW

I have been lucky in regards to most MSD products. I only recall one components failing out of probably 50 or more I have owned and installed. But I have ready horror stories about problems with them. And if the OEM works for you stick with it.....

JW

It was a Direct Connection Chrome box, not exactly OEM. Back when Chrysler wanted their racers to have good equipment at discounted prices. It is still on the 66 Barracuda today. I have seen OEM boxes go out also. The MSD was on a daily driver for years, before it went flaky.

I get a charge about the MSD myth. Every racer has to have a set up. Every racer has at least 1 back up box in their trailer yet, every tim I go to the drag strip they announce over the PA that someone needs a 6AL box. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :rofl:

-
Back