DIY Alignment?

-

PA Dodger

Reaction score
It seems like it's getting harder to find alignment shops that can/will align a car to anything other than what their computer says it should be. I saw a commercial for DIY car alignment equipment. It looks like it would make aligning your car to your own specs a breeze. Does anyone have experience with this product? Do you think it would work well? Is there a better way?

http://www.quicktrickalignment.com/shop/quicktrick-pro/quicktrick-pro-system/

You can make one a lot cheaper and just as accurate. Get yourself a digital level and or protractor, nowadays there' s lot's of 'em

The thing is, caster is calculated from camber + tire turn-in / turn out. I have (and use) and old Ammco caster / camber gauge, but the caster part is actually just a slide rule calculator function built into the device

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969910897

My old Ammco caster/ camber gauge

attachment.php

The angle cube I bought for checking the Ammco's accuracy, as well as checking pinion angles 'n other things

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?...campaign=PLA&gclid=CMuu16qplLYCFch7QgodjCMAcA

30248-04-500.jpg

Bring that car down here to the Shore...I'll point those wheels in any direction you desire! www.davesautocool.com :D

It would give me a reason to hit the beach one more time this year but I don't think there would anything left of a new set of 17" tires by the time I got there.

67Dart273-I'll take a look for some used stuff too. I never tried my hand at aligning a car and would probably be lost trying to make the wrong equipment, like what you bought, fit my car . Modifying the pieces like you did would have me scratching my head since I'm not familiar with it. The alignment setup I saw should bolt right up.
Thanks

The only "modification" is cutting a 2x4" to fit the inside lip of the rim. Far from rocket science.

It seems like it's getting harder to find alignment shops that can/will align a car to anything other than what their computer says it should be. I saw a commercial for DIY car alignment equipment. It looks like it would make aligning your car to your own specs a breeze. Does anyone have experience with this product? Do you think it would work well? Is there a better way?

http://www.quicktrickalignment.com/shop/quicktrick-pro/quicktrick-pro-system/

bought one.....if would not stay on my wheels..centerlines or weld wheels....emailed them..they wanted me to send them pictures of the wheels....

sent it back....

Neils garage in Middleburg Pa 17842 570-837-2200 Dave can do it, him and his brothers are encylepedias of old mopars, trailer it down if you have to there probably 3=4 hrs from you.

bought one.....if would not stay on my wheels..centerlines or weld wheels....emailed them..they wanted me to send them pictures of the wheels....

sent it back....
They made a modified adapter for our custom wheels. Great people to work with and great customer service.

just pay an old time alignment guy who knows mopars to do it, then its done and if it scuffs tires its there fault not yours

Bought caster/camber gauge like this from Jeggs and have been doing my own alignment for years now with no problems. Tool paid for itself!!

Attachments

• guage.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 540
just pay an old time alignment guy who knows mopars to do it, then its done and if it scuffs tires its there fault not yours

I have a few cars. The idea of DIY was so that I don't need to haul cars to the someone else's garage too much. Also, the "old time alignment guys" are retiring or getting harder to find. There is a thread a little further down where their car wasn't aligned correctly at the alignment shop. I'm just looking to see what is available for DIY alignment and how accurate it is.
Thanks

So, I figure the car must be level. My car is in my garage that has the floors that have a slight slope towards the drain. How much is this going to affect my readings using any of the equipment you guys are suggesting?

Well you can easily level the car. Use "whatever" under the tires. In today's world of things like laser levels, that should not be a big problem. Someone "on the other thread" was making fun of using "scrap lumber and string." Well if it gets the job done, why'n'ell not?

Hell a string and plumb bob IS STILL to this day one of the most accurate ways bar none of establishing a plumb line, and from that you can determine level off the garage walls

What do you have for leveling / sighting tools? Nice big level? laser level? You happen to have a transit? I have a little David White transit that's easy to set up and is within 1/8" at 50 ft or more. Easy to check levels, just turn 'em around. Easy to check transits, just shoot across two power poles, mark, and then shoot the other direction.

When I did mine, I used my car trailer, just leveled the thing, and bang!! we have an alignment rack

-
Back