DIY door panel

-
are you talking 1/8 fiberboard? Do you have the originals as a pattern? Id try and get marine grade if it exists as it would be moisture resistant.

I haven't done it yet but I'm considering the same idea ! Here is what I had in mind. I want mine to look as original as possible without spending 600 on new panels i have my original nasty wore out ones to use as a pattern. So I'm thinking about using real wood backer and sealing it for protection against moisture and the elements . The top section I want to stain and clear to give it a real wood grain appearance and the. Measure down with my original ones and adhere some pleated marine vinyl and wrap it nice and tight then it's a matter of cutting the holes for the armrests and window cranks. Idk how well it would work but in my head it sounds pretty good lol. My only concern is one finding pretty enough panels to get a good wood grain and 2 finding it thin enough to make it work but still be strong enough! The pic below is the original look I'm going for the other is the vinyl I found. I'm considering a white interior but haven't decided 100% yet

MA1045672.JPG

8d5f2f35043a8817b11cda033d9838f3.jpg

That is a really cool video series I will have to go subscribe and watch more!!
I have i ever mentioned how cool fairlanes are?

Yep we had a conversation about them the other day. I have 63, 65, 68 (formal roof) Fairlanes and 68 Torino fastback.

They are some of the more reasonable 60's cars left out there. Along with the Mopar A bodies

That is a really cool video series I will have to go subscribe and watch more!!
I have i ever mentioned how cool fairlanes are?
Had a '57 '500' Does that count? I thought everything on that car was cool except the horrible headlights. Last minute change from the newly designed quads (made it in 58) back to singles for '57 lighting rules.

Had a '57 '500' Does that count? I thought everything on that car was cool except the horrible headlights. Last minute change from the newly designed quads (made it in 58) back to singles for '57 lighting rules.
Yea those where cool too. My neighbor has a 57 fairlane hardtop convertible! It is super cool.

Rather than using particle board you could use corrugated plastic sheets.Use black sheets with a rubber surround at all the edges or cover the sheets with fabric/vinyl.They would also be less weight than particleboard sheets to if that matters to you.

I was talking to the local upholsterer, there are plastic sheets used instead of wood fibre.
Im thinking i will try it.

I was talking to the local upholsterer, there are plastic sheets used instead of wood fibre.
Im thinking i will try it.
I cut 60's Lincoln 4 door convertible door panels out from .093 ABS plastic for my boss when he re-does the door panels (also making the seat back panels to recover also) they turn out pretty good,are weather proof don't break when you pull out the clips and just look better for durability.
here is a simulation of the panels that I have to cut from ABS
61-3.jpg

dartfreak where did you find vinyl with the lines in it .. guess if you have marine grade for backer you could find a walnut veneer for the upper part..
I usually can find that type of trim vinyl (really light weight thin stuff and does not wear really well) in specialty trim or upholstery shops. In order to get the correct horizontal and vertical seams you really need a sonic welder/seam roller . we have ours made from heavier vinyl and sent to a place in california and have a roll of 40 yards done at a time. You could try a vacuforming company since they usually have a sonic welder and might do it cheaper for small quantities.

dartfreak where did you find vinyl with the lines in it .. guess if you have marine grade for backer you could find a walnut veneer for the upper part..
Sorry I just saw this. I found it on Ebay i just searched pleated marine vinyl. The walnut veneer is a good idea

Got this 1/4 inch wood at home depot. Will try with very thin soft cotton like backing and then distressed vinyl I picked up at material shop. Lines should show great if I can get them straight.

columbia-forest-products-project-panels-3677-c3_1000.jpg

I haven't done it yet but I'm considering the same idea ! Here is what I had in mind. I want mine to look as original as possible without spending 600 on new panels i have my original nasty wore out ones to use as a pattern. So I'm thinking about using real wood backer and sealing it for protection against moisture and the elements . The top section I want to stain and clear to give it a real wood grain appearance and the. Measure down with my original ones and adhere some pleated marine vinyl and wrap it nice and tight then it's a matter of cutting the holes for the armrests and window cranks. Idk how well it would work but in my head it sounds pretty good lol. My only concern is one finding pretty enough panels to get a good wood grain and 2 finding it thin enough to make it work but still be strong enough! The pic below is the original look I'm going for the other is the vinyl I found. I'm considering a white interior but haven't decided 100% yet

View attachment 1715253228

View attachment 1715253229
Love my white interior.

DSCN0187.JPG

42625086_1094374027394032_3098164887919001600_n.jpg

Easier said than done .. it looked like with some work it's something I could do. Nope. Mine just looked amateurish and something my car didn't deserve. After a few failed attempts I gave in and bought the door panels. As most things, it would take a lot of practice to do it well. Have a greater respect for the people who do it.

Sooooo many questions Riddler. Can you share info on your seats, console and how you made the door cards?

Seats are Corbeau TRS seats custom upholstered. The stitched material is sourced from Automated Upholstery Design in Arizona. It's CNC stitched. The console is custom made and you can see the photo's of the build and how I did it in my build thread. The link is in my signature under the banner.

The door cards are stock cards that I removed the material from, sanded down and glued new material to. Instead of using just one material, I had some of my CNC sewn material attached to black vinyl then glued to the door cards. It's not super flashy but it's also not plain jane.

Riddler

-
Back