DIY floor pans.

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
So i have ran into another problem I found large amounts of rust in my rear passenger side floor pans it travels all the way to the seat mount and up the tunnel as well. Unfortunately I cant afford to replace the whole thing and this single pan isnt gonna be big enough i dont think so I'm thinking about doing one myself. Just buy a sheet of sheetmetal and try and form and mold it to match. Here are my questions. What gauge sheet would be best? As far as making the corners is it best to cut a slit and fold it like a box? Should I try to do it in one large piece or in sections and weld the sections together? Thanks for your help and please dont reply "just buy them" because I cant afford them I have looked. Unless i can find some used that someone has cut out of a parts car. The whole pan is like 500 plus 150 shopping I just cant swing that. Here are some pics if it helps.

20200408_145704.jpg

20200408_145639.jpg

20200408_145635.jpg

20200408_145655.jpg

20200408_145649.jpg

20200408_145701.jpg

20200408_145659.jpg

Save your money and buy the one piece front pan. From the looks of it you will probably need the rear one too, thats pretty bad. How is the rest of the car? I would be looking at the frame rails, especially at low spots under that floor.

As Mike said, get a handle on the condition of the frame under that metal. Pull back some of the bad spots so you can see inside the rails, if they're not so hot you may have to reassess the scope of your project. If they're okay, it's possible to make your own pans, but I don't know your skill level- I did it back in the bad old days when parts weren't available, and it was a royal PAIN. And not real pretty. Use the heaviest gauge sheetmetal that you're comfortable working with, usually 14- 18 g. depending on the part you're replacing, heavier if you can't put beads in it. Try to match to factory thickness, it'll be easier to weld up.
If you're at all in doubt- save up for the repro pans.

You can cut one piece out at a time..
First I would scrub and clean everything out wire brush wise and make everything really clean get all the other trash out of the car as well... Then I would make clear markings with a marker exactly what needs to be cut out all the way up to good material.
Cut out one section at a time again all the way to good material. Do not cut out little pieces.. you want to cut out one whole section like the driver's floorboard or the passenger floorboard for the rear floorboard on either side. If you take out one whole piece as in a quarter of the floorboard at a time you can reconstruct that piece out of flat material. get it welded back in and it's old position using the piece you took out as a template to trim your patch piece... Even if you have to weld small patch pieces down before you take it out to connect that separated area... remember all this is going to get covered by carpet so just making it super close will be fine. Also it will be 10 times stronger when it's one whole piece... Save your money for a good carpet kit so you can cover it all and never see it again... Should be well under $200...

As Mike said, get a handle on the condition of the frame under that metal. Pull back some of the bad spots so you can see inside the rails, if they're not so hot you may have to reassess the scope of your project. If they're okay, it's possible to make your own pans, but I don't know your skill level- I did it back in the bad old days when parts weren't available, and it was a royal PAIN. And not real pretty. Use the heaviest gauge sheetmetal that you're comfortable working with, usually 14- 18 g. depending on the part you're replacing, heavier if you can't put beads in it. Try to match to factory thickness, it'll be easier to weld up.
If you're at all in doubt- save up for the repro pans.
All the rust seems to be in the passenger side the drivers side Is really solid I had some rust in the front frame rail on the passenger side as well but that's already been repaired that's a good point on the frame rails under floor (unibody part) I have looked at them from the outside and they are solid but when I take the floor up i will inspect it good. Thanks for you help.

Save your money and buy the one piece front pan. From the looks of it you will probably need the rear one too, thats pretty bad. How is the rest of the car? I would be looking at the frame rails, especially at low spots under that floor.
The rest of of the car is soild the passenger side floor seems to have all the rust the drivers side looks good. I replaced the front passenger side floor pan years ago back when I was driving it I'm assuming the rear was like that then and I never noticed it. I wish I could afford to buy the whole thing and replace it all.

First I would scrub and clean everything out wire brush wise and make everything really clean get all the other trash out of the car as well... Then I would make clear markings with a marker exactly what needs to be cut out all the way up to good material.
Cut out one section at a time again all the way to good material. Do not cut out little pieces.. you want to cut out one whole section like the driver's floorboard or the passenger floorboard for the rear floorboard on either side. If you take out one whole piece as in a quarter of the floorboard at a time you can reconstruct that piece out of flat material. get it welded back in and it's old position using the piece you took out as a template to trim your patch piece... Even if you have to weld small patch pieces down before you take it out to connect that separated area... remember all this is going to get covered by carpet so just making it super close will be fine. Also it will be 10 times stronger when it's one whole piece... Save your money for a good carpet kit so you can cover it all and never see it again... Should be well under $200...
Thanks buddy that's kinda what I had in mind too. I dont really care what it looks like since its gonna be under carpet i just want it to be safe and last. I'm not sure how much flex that area has in the unibody design i didnt want to mess something up and it break in half lol

Thanks buddy that's kinda what I had in mind too. I dont really care what it looks like since its gonna be under carpet i just want it to be safe and last. I'm not sure how much flex that area has in the unibody design i didnt want to mess something up and it break in half lol
yeah that's why I was just saying do 1/4 section at a time instead of cutting it all out or anything like that. The frame is getting a lot of its support from the parts underneath the doors in the rocker panels...

Virtually anything can be done with enough work. I have and do make a lot of sheet metal panels and I can tell you that while it is not really easy it is possible. That said, it really all comes down to your skill level and tools available. If you make small sections at a time, thats the easiest way, only cut the piece that you are going to be making and use what you cut out as a template.

As to material, most people use either 18 or 20 gauge; 20 being the thinner but also the easier to work with.

One tip I will give you is this; where you see the rust is not the only place it is, meaning you will need to cut several inches around the rust at least to get to decent metal that you can weld to. The biggest issue is going to be blow through, where your welder blows right through the old metal. This is pretty common and something you will have to learn to work with. The way to do it is start your weld on the new metal and pull the puddle over onto the old metal quickly. In other words, let the puddle flow onto the old metal and it will melt and combine with it making the weld. If you are not going for originality, then I would suggest spot welding flanges onto the old panels, this is a strip of new metal probably 2" wide, half goes under the old metal and it spot welded through the old metal, then when you weld the new panel in it has something that it can lay on, plus it can be spot welded as well and then where the old and new meet it can be stitch welded (a series of small welds). This will give you a super strong floor plus the flange will absorb some of the heat making it easier to weld the old and new together. Its more work but you will get up with a better end result especially as it relates to strength. I would highly recommend that you do one or both of 2 things if you are going to try the flange method, first is to get some weld through primer and coat the flange where it will lay on the old and new metal, second is one done be sure to prime, paint and/or undercoat the flange/seam from underneath.

So i have ran into another problem I found large amounts of rust in my rear passenger side floor pans it travels all the way to the seat mount and up the tunnel as well. Unfortunately I cant afford to replace the whole thing and this single pan isnt gonna be big enough i dont think so I'm thinking about doing one myself. Just buy a sheet of sheetmetal and try and form and mold it to match. Here are my questions. What gauge sheet would be best? As far as making the corners is it best to cut a slit and fold it like a box? Should I try to do it in one large piece or in sections and weld the sections together? Thanks for your help and please dont reply "just buy them" because I cant afford them I have looked. Unless i can find some used that someone has cut out of a parts car. The whole pan is like 500 plus 150 shopping I just cant swing that. Here are some pics if it helps.

View attachment 1715503453

View attachment 1715503454

View attachment 1715503455

View attachment 1715503456

View attachment 1715503457

View attachment 1715503458

View attachment 1715503459
Well, this reply is gonna make some heads explode, BUT...
Since you need to keep this budget friendly (and there's no shame in that, we've all been there) go to the auto parts store and get 2 or 3 fiberglass repair kits. Line the floor pans, double it up where you have rust holes, triple it up if it's a spot you need to drill a mounting hole through. Contour it to the factory metal. Lay a bunch of fiberglass strips in. Make sure the floor is clean, I mean REALLY CLEAN before you start. This is a temporary fix. I repeat, this is A TEMPORARY FIX. But, take $55 every month and put it in your sock drawer. Don't touch the money, no matter what. Next April you will have the cash to buy the floor pan replacement. Do it the right way then. And, maybe don't take any passengers until you get the metal floor pans in.
Good luck man.

Somebody did mine with sheet metal probably 15 or so years ago. Not pretty, but functional. Go buy a hood or a trunk lid from pick & pull, cut it up & go to town....

Since you need to keep this budget friendly (and there's no shame in that, we've all been there) go to the auto parts store and get 2 or 3 fiberglass repair kits. Line the floor pans, double it up where you have rust holes, triple it up if it's a spot you need to drill a mounting hole through. Contour it to the factory metal. Lay a bunch of fiberglass strips in. Make sure the floor is clean, I mean REALLY CLEAN before you start. This is a temporary fix. I repeat, this is A TEMPORARY FIX. But, take $55 every month and put it in your sock drawer. Don't touch the money, no matter what. Next April you will have the cash to buy the floor pan replacement. Do it the right way then. And, maybe don't take any passengers until you get the metal floor pans in.
Good luck man.
I had to give you an agree because I agree that is not anywhere is close to a preferred method and I can see the first thing he's going to want to do is give his wife and kids a ride...

Hell, when I helped my dad build his 65 ranchero 25 years ago, we didn't have a welder yet and he ended up pop riveting in some patch panels in the floor and used seam sealer on the seams. It worked fine and he's been driving the hell out of it ever since. Just take it one section at a time and get it done. You can do it!

Hell, when I helped my dad build his 65 ranchero 25 years ago, we didn't have a welder yet and he ended up pop riveting in some patch panels in the floor and used seam sealer on the seams. It worked fine and he's been driving the hell out of it ever since. Just take it one section at a time and get it done. You can do it!
That is exactly how i did the front passenger floor pan 15 plus years ago and it's still solid. I think I'm gonna redo it now tho because I never attached it to the crossmemeber I was reading that is important because of the unibody I didnt know that back then. Hell I drove it for 3 years like that lol
Good luck man.
I did the rust hole in the trunk and the quarter panels with fiberglass the same time I did the floor pans they are still holding strong. There is nothing on this car done "correctly" lol
Virtually anything can be done with enough work. I have and do make a lot of sheet metal panels and I can tell you that while it is not really easy it is possible. That said, it really all comes down to your skill level and tools available. If you make small sections at a time, thats the easiest way, only cut the piece that you are going to be making and use what you cut out as a template.

As to material, most people use either 18 or 20 gauge; 20 being the thinner but also the easier to work with.

One tip I will give you is this; where you see the rust is not the only place it is, meaning you will need to cut several inches around the rust at least to get to decent metal that you can weld to. The biggest issue is going to be blow through, where your welder blows right through the old metal. This is pretty common and something you will have to learn to work with. The way to do it is start your weld on the new metal and pull the puddle over onto the old metal quickly. In other words, let the puddle flow onto the old metal and it will melt and combine with it making the weld. If you are not going for originality, then I would suggest spot welding flanges onto the old panels, this is a strip of new metal probably 2" wide, half goes under the old metal and it spot welded through the old metal, then when you weld the new panel in it has something that it can lay on, plus it can be spot welded as well and then where the old and new meet it can be stitch welded (a series of small welds). This will give you a super strong floor plus the flange will absorb some of the heat making it easier to weld the old and new together. Its more work but you will get up with a better end result especially as it relates to strength. I would highly recommend that you do one or both of 2 things if you are going to try the flange method, first is to get some weld through primer and coat the flange where it will lay on the old and new metal, second is one done be sure to prime, paint and/or undercoat the flange/seam from underneath.
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it

So can you weld? Sorry, but I read all your responses and didn't see. If you can weld, You can definitely do this without buying floor pans. I would use 18 gauge steel, Here is a question. How pretty and original do you want it to look? A little overlapping on the panels (I would do several smaller pieces in each area) will make the job easier and much faster. The slightly rounded corners can be done with slits and made to look pretty good. There is a way to make them, but you will cut more than one slit in each corner. I am doing this in bed. If I forget to send a few pics tomorrow, don't hesitate to send me a PM to remind me. Good luck.
LOL in advance: Why not just use fiberglass like everyone else?

So can you weld? Sorry, but I read all your responses and didn't see. If you can weld, You can definitely do this without buying floor pans. I would use 18 gauge steel, Here is a question. How pretty and original do you want it to look? A little overlapping on the panels (I would do several smaller pieces in each area) will make the job easier and much faster. The slightly rounded corners can be done with slits and made to look pretty good. There is a way to make them, but you will cut more than one slit in each corner. I am doing this in bed. If I forget to send a few pics tomorrow, don't hesitate to send me a PM to remind me. Good luck.
LOL in advance: Why not just use fiberglass like everyone else?
Yes I can weld not the greatest but I can lol. I don't care what looks like as long as it's safe strong and permanent. Its gonna be covered with seats and carpet anyhow the only way anyone would see it I's if they crawled up under the car. Its not a show car so I'm not worried about it. Thanks for your help I appreciate it I will PM you tomorrow to remind you for the pics.

Back in the old days we would take street signs and beat them in place. Rivet them down and your done. If anyone found a stop sign in your mopar floor it could have been one of my cars :)

Yup. Signs, sheet metal screws and roofing tar to seal it up. Kind of makes me shudder now. Kind of. :)

Good luck man.

Anyone that repairs metal with fiberglass should have their car confiscated. Sorry, that's the damn truth. It will make the rust WORSE. It will speed up the decay of the remaining metal. You're also not going to be able to combine the two in a way that will maintain the structural capabilities of the unibody chassis, I don't care how clean you make it. The fact that you go out of your way to say it's a temporary fix and not to take passengers indicates you already know you're giving terrible advice that will compromise the integrity and safety of the car.

If you find yourself seriously considering repairing metal with fiberglass, it means you're in over your head and do not have the skills to make the needed repairs. Walk away and take it to someone that can do it right before you screw it up worse. Hell, the fiberglass isn't really even cheaper than plain old sheet metal, so all it really shows is that you lack the skills to carry out the repair. It's just a waste of time, money, and effort. In a very short period of time you'll have to do it all again, and if you didn't have the money to fix it right the first time how are you going to have the money to do it twice? Especially when the second repair will be more extensive than the first because the first repair did even more damage than was already there?

Yeah, the best way to do it is to buy a full pan. Not only that, it's probably the easiest way to do it too. It definitely takes less time and welding than if you start making small patches and welding them in. Yes, plain old sheet metal is cheaper in up front costs, but don't forget that you're going to need a lot more welding rod/wire and gas to make the repair happen. The spot welds to replace the full panel take very little filler material and a ton less weld time. Considering the entire repair, if you have to buy and extra tank of gas and another spool of wire how much did you really save vs a full panel? What's your time worth?

If the full pan replacement is off the table then j par lays it out well. You want to make the patches as large as you can without making the bending of the panel too complicated for a single patch. The smaller you make the repair sections the more weld you're going to have to lay out. The more weld length you have to share with old metal the harder it will be, because more than likely you'll want to make the patches smaller than they really need to be and you'll end up welding to metal that isn't perfect. Which makes the welding a ton harder. I've made my own share of patches, and the more I do it the more I agree with replacing entire panels. It may seem harder, but when you really start considering the time, effort and amount of welding to make and install smaller patches it tips the scales.

I'm not a factory correct restoration guy, I'm also a guy that doesn't care if it looks perfectly original as long as it's structurally sound. But honestly, if you're gonna replace more than about 25% of any given panel, you're time, effort and ultimately money ahead to do the whole panel. It costs more up front, but in the long run when you consider time and materials it's easy to end up piecemeal'ing your way into spending more money in the long run. Been there, done that.

Honestly my last patch panels we're for the old Dodge and they were literally $24 each with $25 shipping for both of them. It was $68 with 13% off on the Black Friday sale to my door. I would almost buy a couple of these and see if you can't make them work for what you need...

There was a fuy jere or on youtube down in south america thay firmed his own floor pans with factory brads and all. Beat a panel over a wooden form with router cut reliefs in it for the beads. Came out pretty darn good if all you have is time and wood and a piece of 18G.

Back in the old days we would take street signs and beat them in place. Rivet them down and your done. If anyone found a stop sign in your mopar floor it could have been one of my cars :)
I know a guy that done this as well haha

"if you're gonna replace more than about 25% of any given panel, you're time, effort and ultimately money ahead to do the whole panel."
This is very true. Unless you have tons of free time and no money it makes no sense not to do a full pan. Its very easy to do and takes a fraction of the time than playing around with a bunch of individual patches. Yeah I have patched floors before but very small spots. Your car needs an entire floor, no way around it.

Anyone that repairs metal with fiberglass should have their car confiscated. Sorry, that's the damn truth. It will make the rust WORSE. It will speed up the decay of the remaining metal. You're also not going to be able to combine the two in a way that will maintain the structural capabilities of the unibody chassis, I don't care how clean you make it. The fact that you go out of your way to say it's a temporary fix and not to take passengers indicates you already know you're giving terrible advice that will compromise the integrity and safety of the car.

If you find yourself seriously considering repairing metal with fiberglass, it means you're in over your head and do not have the skills to make the needed repairs. Walk away and take it to someone that can do it right before you screw it up worse. Hell, the fiberglass isn't really even cheaper than plain old sheet metal, so all it really shows is that you lack the skills to carry out the repair. It's just a waste of time, money, and effort. In a very short period of time you'll have to do it all again, and if you didn't have the money to fix it right the first time how are you going to have the money to do it twice? Especially when the second repair will be more extensive than the first because the first repair did even more damage than was already there?

Yeah, the best way to do it is to buy a full pan. Not only that, it's probably the easiest way to do it too. It definitely takes less time and welding than if you start making small patches and welding them in. Yes, plain old sheet metal is cheaper in up front costs, but don't forget that you're going to need a lot more welding rod/wire and gas to make the repair happen. The spot welds to replace the full panel take very little filler material and a ton less weld time. Considering the entire repair, if you have to buy and extra tank of gas and another spool of wire how much did you really save vs a full panel? What's your time worth?

If the full pan replacement is off the table then j par lays it out well. You want to make the patches as large as you can without making the bending of the panel too complicated for a single patch. The smaller you make the repair sections the more weld you're going to have to lay out. The more weld length you have to share with old metal the harder it will be, because more than likely you'll want to make the patches smaller than they really need to be and you'll end up welding to metal that isn't perfect. Which makes the welding a ton harder. I've made my own share of patches, and the more I do it the more I agree with replacing entire panels. It may seem harder, but when you really start considering the time, effort and amount of welding to make and install smaller patches it tips the scales.

I'm not a factory correct restoration guy, I'm also a guy that doesn't care if it looks perfectly original as long as it's structurally sound. But honestly, if you're gonna replace more than about 25% of any given panel, you're time, effort and ultimately money ahead to do the whole panel. It costs more up front, but in the long run when you consider time and materials it's easy to end up piecemeal'ing your way into spending more money in the long run. Been there, done that.
Thanks I appreciate your advice.

-
Back