DIY floor pans.

-
I'd rather just start with a fresh piece of steel. I dont have any local scrap yards I do have a parts truck setting here but I'd rather have new flat steel before I start cutting into my truck haha last resort maybe
However I do have a lumina I could cut up too I have been trying to get rid of this thing for years cant give it away been waiting for scrape metal to go back up that may be an idea! Save a bunch of money that way. Damn I may have to change my disagree X haha

20200412_181440.jpg

Got a question for you welders when making an overlap spot weld would it be best to drill a hole in the top material and weld that spot or leave it solid and just weld thru the top layer? I was practicing yesterday and it seemed to hold pretty good welding thru the top layer. But drilling a hole let's you see what your doing better.

Ok so I have formulated a plan. Looks like I'm actually going to take @j par advice and I'm gonna cut the panels from that old lumina I need to scrap. I measured out everything and I have enough to do the whole passenger side and the drivers side front pan. So here's the plan. I'm gonna cut the shert metal out of the lumina first then cut them oversized to where they need to go, iv already made all my measurements for the places I'm cutting out I'm making the repair panels 2 inches bigger in every direction that way i.will have one inch of hangover to weld to. After I get them cut I'm going to rough shape them with the existing rusty floor using heat 2x4s and a BFH! Once I get them close I will take them out and one section at a time cut out the old weld in the new and once the new is in I can continue to beat on it and get the shape desired. Wish me luck. Once I get started on it I will create a new thread with the project that way if anyone else wants to try it they wont have to filter thru 6 pages to get to the good part lol. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Ok so I have formulated a plan. Looks like I'm actually going to take @j par advice and I'm gonna cut the panels from that old lumina I need to scrap. I measured out everything and I have enough to do the whole passenger side and the drivers side front pan. So here's the plan. I'm gonna cut the shert metal out of the lumina first then cut them oversized to where they need to go, iv already made all my measurements for the places I'm cutting out I'm making the repair panels 2 inches bigger in every direction that way i.will have one inch of hangover to weld to. After I get them cut I'm going to rough shape them with the existing rusty floor using heat 2x4s and a BFH! Once I get them close I will take them out and one section at a time cut out the old weld in the new and once the new is in I can continue to beat on it and get the shape desired. Wish me luck. Once I get started on it I will create a new thread with the project that way if anyone else wants to try it they wont have to filter thru 6 pages to get to the good part lol. Thanks for all the help guy I really appreciate it.
If you even get it close it will be amazing what the carpet will completely hide like everything! LOL...

If you even get it close it will be amazing what the carpet will completely hide like everything! LOL...
I'm not super worried about the appearance of it like you said it gonna be covered anyway I just want to make sure is strong and sturdy. Some of the guys on here are gonna want to sacrifice me to the mopar gods lol using Chevy metal with a flux core welder! Haha:rofl:

I'm not super worried about the appearance of it like you said it gonna be covered anyway I just want to make sure is strong and sturdy. Some of the guys on here are gonna want to sacrifice me to the mopar gods lol using Chevy metal with a flux core welder! Haha:rofl:
Don't even give it a second thought cut that Chevy up and consider to have its best years ahead of it Power by Mopar...
Ef em.... You do what you got to do to make it happen... I've made the gurus on this forum run for cover more times than I can count doing what they told me that can't be done....

Don't even give it a second thought cut that Chevy up and consider to have its best years ahead of it Power by Mopar...
Ef em.... You do what you got to do to make it happen... I've made the gurus on this forum run for cover more times than I can count doing what they told me that can't be done....
Yea agree I was told I couldnt do body panels with a flux core welder did you see the panels i welded for my buddies truck?
Body work practice

-
Back