DIY quarter skin install

-

abodyjim

Reaction score
I had a couple people ask about the quarter install I did on my dart. It's been awhile since I've posted anything and I have a few pictures of the install so figured I'd just share.
This is the 2nd quarter I've installed so I'm no professional.
Lets get to it...
This was a bad collision repair that was slide hammered and filed with bondo, about 2" thick of it. The quarter was pushed in far enough to dent the outer wheel house as well.

20171130_195832.jpg

I'd never attempted to replace a quarter skin before I bought this car, but since the seller included a new one, I figured I'd give it a shot.
20190511_143051.jpg
20190511_165602.jpg
20190817_140331.jpg
20190817_140354.jpg

Not perfect, but it was a great experience and I learned a lot.

I removed the majority of quarter then hanging the quarter on the edge I was able to get a mark for where I plan to butt weld seam. I left it long and trimmed it fit.
I got the idea of seaming it here from someone else. Don't remember if it was on this site or somewhere else but it was great advice. The curve helps with controlling distortion of quarter during welding.

20191127_180706.jpg

20191211_161059.jpg

View attachment 1715849206

Next is the outer wheel house and trunk drop off.
I didn't say it earlier but I used a harbor freight spot weld cutter on the quarter and these pieces too. There are a lot of spot welds. Since I did this I watched a video from AMD and he shows you how to air chisel the metal around spot welds. It does save time but can tear some stuff up if not careful.
I started with the outer tub. After it was removed I fit the new wheel tub before removing the trunk drop off

20191219_192909.jpg

20191219_183910.jpg

20191219_183901.jpg

This area of the original tub is sandwiched between the inner tub and outer car structure. Trimmed it flush, welded and ground it smooth

20220107_144330.jpg

This area of the original tub is sandwiched between the inner tub and outer car structure. Trimmed it flush, welded and ground it smooth

View attachment 1715849221
Question about doing it this way. I Am also trying to replace outer tub without replacing inner tub. If i just use the cutoff wheel and slice the tub clean, leaving the old outer flange spot welded to the inner flange. Then weld the new outer right over it. Sandwiching the old outer flange in between, This would space the entire tub appx 1/8 outboard. Will this create problems for the new quarter skin? Or will it be fine?

I would remove the outer tub flange completely. Take the time while you have it torn down that far & remove the flange from the outer tub, otherwise you COULD have fitment problems, plus it's just another place for moistier to sit. IMHO

I would remove the outer tub flange completely. Take the time while you have it torn down that far & remove the flange from the outer tub, otherwise you COULD have fitment problems, plus it's just another place for moistier to sit. IMHO
Only issue being is. Not sure if you have ever done one but, this are here is next to impossible to remove without removing the jnner. As the op stated. But idealistically, yes removing the entire flange is no dount the best way. From the photos it looks like the OP didnt remove the flange. And im more wondering if he got away with it. But given unlimited time and money, yes i would do it the perfect right way and remove the entire outer flange

90EA0452-36D7-44B9-90D4-B54BA31510DE.jpeg

Im thinking im gonna have to tack-in place. Test fit the quarter to know for sure.

-
Back