DIY TIAL wastegate

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
just throwing this out for some flame fodder:
Looking at a TIAL wastegate and I find they are upwards of $700 for the larger ones. If I was to make one out of...(insert Sanford and Son theme)...a large exhaust valve, a slant six water neck and a wastegate valve actuator? The whole setup is an experiment on a dirt cheap diesel turbo setup for a junkyard 273. with no pressure the wastegate would pull valve up into 'seat' where the stat would rest. under boost, the valve would start to open, venting exhaust leg pressure out waterneck. Maybe get a matching valve seat and valve guide to make it more rigid? Flame on....

Attachments

• wastegate.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 192
Or you could just buy a cheap Chinese one.

Ok, so I know nothing about turbos... but I looked at the Tial valve design. How much pressure will there be against the valve and can your actuator overcome it? Assuming that is not a problem - they open the valve into the chamber while yours goes into the pipe against the flow This only allows whatever gas can go around it instead of full flow. Adding an elbow in the end of the pipe could solve that.

Do you think it would be about the same? They are both showing the gasses the same amount of port going up or going down? The pressure is at a dead head, ie end of a blind pipe (capped). I would almost think it would flow more as there is no valve shrouding occuring inside the water neck..? Im no fluid dynamics study. Dang, they are only $50 on Ebay but this could work. The working pressure is 5psi for actuator, pretty light for a turbocharger. explain that elbow.

melting point of aluminum is 1090. exhaust gasses will exceed that in a turbo application. just a thought.

Quick and sloppy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 183
Hmm, I see gas flow. No AL in this, this is Mopar 60's cast iron stuff. Thanks for the lesson.

-
Back