DIY Vinyl Top install question

-

RAVano

Reaction score
For those of you that are DIY’ers. Which is more difficult to do? A bow style headliner or a Vinyl top? I finished up with my headliner and happy with how it came out. Wondering if I should tackle the Top myself

For those of you that are DIY’ers. Which is more difficult to do? A bow style headliner or a Vinyl top? I finished up with my headliner and happy with how it came out. Wondering if I should tackle the Top myself
i done both, Vinyl top so much easier.

I hate doing headliners, just be why now days I just clean it up and spray with bedliner or undercoat!!
I would want to use the GOOD glue that upholstery shops use you stray with a siphon gun. After it has laid out in the 100 degree sun for an hour!! Make them 20 minutes it might MELT!!!!

This is the headliner. Only a few wrinkles I can deal with. I haven’t taken any steam or heat to it yet.
037B4EE9-DF45-4547-9946-CCE185D709DE.jpeg

@rva any tips on installing the vinyl top that may help others thinking of doing the same?
ok here goes, mark the center of the roof from center of windshield and rear window with masking tape put a center mark on tape, fold top in half mark center on under side, place top on roof still folded in half from front to back and line up marks, half of the metal roof should be exposed, spray a 12" wide area front to back on roof and vinyl top, let sit a few minutes till tacky, fold the 1 half of top down on to the glued surface working it out with squeegee, let sit a minute, fold top back up until you see the glue, repeat 12" at a time, then go to the other side and repeat, correct glue is a must, let dry trim excess. hope this helps

If you mean to do the top "by yourself", no! get at least one buddy to help you- 'cause once you've laid it down, it ain't movin'! Gotta get it right the first time. Otherwise, go for it!

I've watched videos and seen them pull it off many times after laying it down, but not after forcing it down tight ? Some stretch tight and some don't?
I'll be doing mine, but i've never done one yet?

I've watched videos and seen them pull it off many times after laying it down, but not after forcing it down tight ? Some stretch tight and some don't?
I'll be doing mine, but i've never done one yet?
You can move it for a short time, but with 2 people! you'll never make it by yourself... at least I sure wouldn't be able to.
Only stretch it enough to get the wrinkles out, stretch it too much and you run the risk of it shrinking back up over the next few years- and pulling out from under the trim.

Good point about stretching.Wonder if 3M contact cement would be suitable? A friend bought some super expensive stuff from a specialty shop after the generic stuff started to fail.I sure don't want to do mine twice.

Good point about stretching.Wonder if 3M contact cement would be suitable? A friend bought some super expensive stuff from a specialty shop after the generic stuff started to fail.I sure don't want to do mine twice.
It's like buying good liquor- pay the price up front and the hangovers will be limited.

You could not get me to own another vinyl top car for a million dollars

I was going to use Weldwood HHR contact cement in a spray gun. I wouldn’t trust any glue out of a spray can for a vinyl top.

what spray gun to use...and is it cleanable when done?
I have a junk harbor fright gun I was going to try. If I have to drill out the cap so it could spray better I’ll do that. I would just through the gun out. It was like $20 and served it purpose for years already

This is what I plan to use to put the vinyl top on my Duster. You can get it on Amazon for $89. I'm just going to go to Horrible Freight and buy a siphon feed spray gun with a 1.8 tip to spray it with. They are cheap enough to be a throw away gun if it won't clean up afterwards. I let someone who painted a car for me years ago talk me into letting them put the vinyl top on also. They used that 3M spray glue in a can. Well, first time I let the car sit out in the sun....the vinyl top shrunk and wrinkled up like all these young girls tats are gonna do in the future! No more spray bomb glue for me! Good luck with your install. :)

Vinyl top glue.jpg

This is what I plan to use to put the vinyl top on my Duster. You can get it on Amazon for $89. I'm just going to go to Horrible Freight and buy a siphon feed spray gun with a 1.8 tip to spray it with. They are cheap enough to be a throw away gun if it won't clean up afterwards. I let someone who painted a car for me years ago talk me into letting them put the vinyl top on also. They used that 3M spray glue in a can. Well, first time I let the car sit out in the sun....the vinyl top shrunk and wrinkled up like all these young girls tats are gonna do in the future! No more spray bomb glue for me! Good luck with your install. :)

View attachment 1715969709

This is the exact adhesive that I was looking at and have the same idea and a throw away gun. Thank you

I was going to use Weldwood HHR contact cement in a spray gun. I wouldn’t trust any glue out of a spray can for a vinyl top.

We used to buy 5 gal pales of the contact cement and spray on with a paint gun when I worked in the shop.

Since I rarely do headliners or vinyl tops now I use the spray can stuff and have had no issues at all.

i wonder if the spray bombs get a bad rap because guys don't let it dry on both surfaces. Once dry to the touch the surfaces are no longer sticky at all, but i think they will still stick to themselves
If it is still sticky under the vinyl I don't think it will dry and there will eventually be problems

I got around to doing the top yesterday. Start to finish by myself took about 5 hours. Used a Harbor Frieght purple gun with a 1.4 tip with no issues. Really sets the car off!
EE803A6D-322B-46FA-ABEC-CAB3CBDE250F.jpeg
094F5E81-D093-4961-96AA-962AE6193A22.jpeg

-
Back