do i need ballast resistor?

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
do i need a ballast resistor or can i bypass it with a fuse-able link? if so what amp fuse should i use. and also i put a new fuse-able link in my engine harness to replace the old stock one. what size amp should i use for it?

If you are running stone stock ignition, leave as is. Been here before.....What,do you expect...

A ballast resistor and a fusible like do not have the same function.

A ballast resistor reduces the voltage going across it. For example, in the ignition system, it reduces the voltage from the main harness from 12v down to about 9v going to the coil.

A fusible link does not reduce voltage, it simply melts and severs the connection should the amperage in the system get too high. Its designed to keep you from burning up your car in a high amp situation, it melts so your wire harness doesn't.

If you have the stock ignition system, you need a ballast resistor. Some coils have an internal ballast, so if you really want to get rid of the external ballast resistor you can get one of those. Keep in mind you'll still have a ballast resistor, it just will be inside the coil instead of out on the firewall.

okay thanks guys. now for that other question what amp fuse size should i run on the fuseable link i put in the harness to replace the stock fuseable link

Depends on the max load expected in your car. I would probably put an 80 A fuse myself. I don't know what the fusible links were rated.

I use a 30 in mine and have never blown it with all the running lights, headlights, wipers, stereo and four brake lights and heater blower.
Of course I carry a 60 just in case but it's been almost 2 years since I put the 30 in it.
Some say you should use something capable to carry the max alternator output, but the cars pretty much never use that kind of load.

-
Back