DO NOT BUY THIS PASSIVE CHARGER.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I got this "CRAIG" passive charging pad. Mine was bought at Right Aid.

Thank God my women has a functioning sniffer. She woke me up saying she could smell something strange. (She kept saying it smells like kids finger paints) we dont yet have kids...

Turns out the pad was melting down while sitting on my wicker night stand... can we say fire hazard?...

Just a heads up to anyone who may buy this POS, DON'T!

20190125_212514_zpsxwh9uvcs.jpg

20190125_212503_zpshne09dd7.jpg

20190125_212441_zps1gexyioo.jpg

Ok, I'll be the jackass. What's a passive charger pad thingy?

Some cell phones can pull a charge just by being laid down on a charging pad. You are not "ACTIVELY" plugging in a charging cord; hence the term PASSIVE.

It nice, you set the phone on it and it charges, at full charge it would turn off.

Until last night it didn't turn off.. and tried to burn down my house with us sleeping in it...

Wow. That's not very passive, is it?

I have a Samsung wireless pad and I hardly ever use it. Sometimes but not often.

It nice, you set the phone on it and it charges, at full charge it would turn off.

Until last night it didn't turn off.. and tried to burn down my house with us sleeping in it...

You might oughta buy a lottery ticket ! OR , go to church !
Glad she caught it !

I have 2 from Verizon. Kinda round, and hold the phone at an angle. We use em everyday!!

Love em.

They were kinda pricey if I remember though.

If I charge my phone during the night I always place the charger on top of a ceramic tile so that if it does happen to malfunction it won't immediately start a fire on the wood surfaces. It might catch on fire but it would give me a little more time to smell the fumes or see the fire before it spreads.

Last edited:
How lazy have we become, can't even plug in a cell phone charger? (no offense to the original poster of the thread, just sayin ...)

How lazy have we become, can't even plug in a cell phone charger? (no offense to the original poster of the thread, just sayin ...)

X5.4920000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

More worthless technology. Like power antennas. What was the point of that? I would suspect that the passive chargers are also very inefficient as the they are basically very lossy transformers. If there was one that would charge my phone from across the room, I would buy that. unfortunately however, all the knives, forks, & spoons might be stuck to it after awhile.....

The charging plug on my phone stopped working so I bought this as an alternative to buying a new phone.

Actually, I would love it if my phone had this capability.

The charger port gets worn out from plugging it in, cords get broke internally, it gets to hassle having to play with the cord to get a charge.

Right now, mine is plugged in with a battery laying just behind the cord connector, since the cord is crap right there. It's trickling in. Been on the charger since I got home at 2pm. It's gained 2% since then.

A good induction charger works quite well. Ford has even built them into their new vehicles so that all you have to do it put your phone in the cubby and it charges up without needing to plug anything in.

A good induction charger works quite well. Ford has even built them into their new vehicles so that all you have to do it put your phone in the cubby and it charges up without needing to plug anything in.
Ain't the Fords the ones that used to catch on fire???

We have one too, Love it. Its on a tile kitchen top. Great if the said charging/USB port is loose or F'd. Even works through the otter box. Takes 5+ hours to fully charge my Galaxy 7, that's about my bedtime schedule.

When I got my last phone (samsung galaxy) a couple years ago it came with a free passive charger, the round angled one mentioned above. I used it for a couple of months. Yes, it was convenient. When I noticed a hot smell and the phone got hot as hell I stopped using it. I have plugged in ever since. Really, I have no issue with plugging a phone in, the whole passive charge thing is, IMO, a gimmick targeting lazy people.

When I got my last phone (samsung galaxy) a couple years ago it came with a free passive charger, the round angled one mentioned above. I used it for a couple of months. Yes, it was convenient. When I noticed a hot smell and the phone got hot as hell I stopped using it. I have plugged in ever since. Really, I have no issue with plugging a phone in, the whole passive charge thing is, IMO, a gimmick targeting lazy people.
So is having a phone that you can take with you wherever you go instead of relying on the one plugged into the wall of your home or in a booth at the corner gas station. Or maybe a having a TV that you don’t have walk across the room to change the channel or adjust the volume.

Remote control TV is for lazy people, right?

Point is, that wanting things that are more convenient isn’t being lazy...it’s human nature to want things to be easier to use and do more. It’s why we develop technology at all.

-
Back