Do people just walk into your house like they do on TV ?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
You see this all the time in Sitcoms and movies....Some friend just opens the door and walks into the apartment or house.
I am not a fan of that.
I'm not in a bad area. I'm on a dead end street and we don't get much traffic. Our garage door is usually open and used as the main entrance so friends and family come in that way.
I have a few friends that do this. It isn't like I'm naked on the couch when they show up but it still is annoying.
There is a standard understanding with everyone that comes here. Call or text when you're on you're way. Almost everyone does do this so it isn't really a shock when they come in.
Still.....
Does this happen to you?

Depends on who it is, this young lady can anytime.

92B6E9D0-6BBF-473D-8BD7-B1A52078E505.jpeg

When we were kids where I grew up, yes. All the time. Family, neighbors, friends. All the time. Sometimes everyday. During spring and summer we always had the doors open with the screen doors closed and unlocked. Mama had really close friends at church and they'd come visit, sit at the kitchen booth, drink coffee, smoke and gossip. Those were good times.

But now, no. Kitty and I live 500 feet off the road in the woods. Anybody "just walks in" out here is gonna need a ride in the meat wagon.

like rusty said, they used to

growing up, the front door was for funerals and the back door was always unlocked
in fact, whenever people ask me what i miss most about the old country, that is probably it...not having to make "appointments" to go see your friends

The only one is my sons best friend. He calls me Dad and it’s all good. A super kid who’s very respectful and thoughtful. After that, no one else, not even Mom.

Absolutely not. My church community group meets at 6:30 on Wednesday evenings (app 9 people counting Jim and his wife) and he always leaves the inner door open for us to walk in. It took me a long time to get comfortable doing that.

I used to walk into my best friend's place all the time. Now that I have my own place, I try to encourage my friends to walk in. I know they're coming over, and the door is at the other end of the house. They still knock, and I still holler for them to come in.

Friends and neighbors do stop by unannounced. But they knock first and wait for me to answer the door.

The dog let's me know before anyone makes it to the front door, she's right at the door in wait, a stiff tail means it's a stranger.

Not only no but HELL NO. Even cousins, etc, you KNOCKED, unless the door was open/ screen door give a yell and someone answered

Not a chance, even if we know someone is coming over, knock first, then we holler, come on in. Dogs always get to the door first anyway.
20210801_081913.jpg

My 105 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback buddy insists this is his home and he better know you before you come in.
He's generally at the front door before the doorbell rings or there's a knock.

untitled.png

I should have put this in my other post. This is my beast Abby, she lets me know when someone is outside, friend or foe!

Jeff
IMAG0021.JPG

****, I told the wife's kids to not even try that. I don't think it dawned on him that 'you don't live here' until I told him "You don't live here".

And they know how close I am to popping some dumbass that just walks in. Millennials, man....

****, I told the wife's kids to not even try that. I don't think it dawned on him that 'you don't live here' until I told him "You don't live here".

And they know how close I am to popping some dumbass that just walks in. Millennials, man....

Milennials ? I am pushing 60 and that was the norm for very close friends or family for most every household I knew when I was young . Hell my mother in law would just walk in and it never bothered me. If I was nekked that was her problem ..lol

My 105 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback buddy insists this is his home and he better know you before you come in.
He's generally at the front door before the doorbell rings or there's a knock.

View attachment 1715806690
My Sister has one of those RRs super territorial but not the brightest bulb in the box. But once he knows ya he is a total lap dog! I don’t know what he weighs but you pat him anywhere and he is just a sheet of muscle. But holy smokes he owns the house.

almost forgot, the first apartment me and the wife lived in we had an open door policy
our apartment was above the garage, so we just kept a Christmas wreath with some bells on it on the door
that way we could hear people as they came in and had time to throw in some clothes as needed

At the sound of the shell being chambered, most are smart enough to knock next time. Even at dads or sisters house, I KNOCK first, then I wait for them to open door.

-
Back