Do Shorty headers fit factory exhaust?

-

HTMLmopars

Reaction score
I want to preface this post with the fact that I'm 17 and basically clueless about the hobby, but I'm trying to learn.
I have a cracked manifold on my 68 valiant's 318. I'm wondering if you guys would know if the headers I found that jegs is selling could fit my car with no exhaust modifications. Basically, I was impatient and bought a header back system from summit, and then paid a shop to connect the difference from the factory manifolds. Since I spent a bunch of money on that, I don't want to go to long tube headers because it would've been a waste of money and I could've bought headers from the beginning. I also figure that if I'm gonna mess with the manifolds, it wouldn't hurt to do a bit of improving, so I got onto the idea of shorty headers, but the only ones I could find to fit an LA were ones labeled for a Dakota with a magnum. Supposedly these bolt in right in place of the manifolds on the truck, but is that the same as my 68? I've heard of using magnum manifolds on non magnum LA motors to get more flow, but do you have to do any exhaust modifying to do that?
Headers I found: http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/...B2jAwet80Ta7zgVp_GGhKoK-TlpQpCCcvgaAkat8P8HAQ

Also my 318 is from a 69 cuda and to my knowledge is bone stock, although I want to build it up which is why I think headers are a good idea cause it gives me growing room.
Any help is useful!

Those headers are not for an A body. They are for a truck. And before you ask, no they will not fit.

The shorty headers I bought for one of my past applications were supposed to be a bolt-in to the factory headpipes, they weren't.

Since you are 17 and probably only have a small budget, I would put an add in the wanted section for a used manifold that would bolt right up.

TTI shorties are suppose to be a good fit. Also a good price.

So here's the thing about the hobby (any "hobby") your going to spend time and money. Time and money you won't get back. As long as you enjoy it, thats okay.
Imho you'd be very hard pressed to find someone on this forum that from your age to now that didn't make a mistake and have to rethink there plan and essentially buy the same part twice (or more!).
Case and point - I didn't want the 7 1/4 rearend that came with the car and bought an 8 1/4 and when I upgraded the motor I figured I needed an 8 3/4, well come to find out that 8 3/4 broke because of the upgraded motor and transmission and now I have a Dana 60. With all that said I should have spent my money on the Dana 60 first ? but it's a hobby and a learning experience could have saved myself at least $1,500 or more and my time ? That money is not growing on trees here either.
It may be time to just bite the bullet and and buy the long tube headers that you probably want for $120 off of Summit then go to harbor freight and buy a $20 Grindr and cut the exhaust off where the long tubes end. Then you can spend $99 or less on a wire feed welder at Harbor Freight to weld things underneath which would still be cheaper than having it done and end up with with a new tool combinations that will make you more money helping friends and family fix exhaust and other things? And a new skill...
food for thought - something to ponder

TTI shorties are suppose to be a good fit. Also a good price.
Good compared to Sanderson or Headman shorties, but there are tight spots, especially in an A-body. Most important for the OP, they do not just drop in the place of the exhaust manifolds and bolt up. They go in from underneath and will need a special headpipe which can be purchased from TTI or made by a shop.

to 68valiant225: Any change you make from the 318 exhaust manifolds will likely require some modification to the headpipe's you had made. A welding shop with an oven or heat table can fix a crack. You'll have to leave it as it must be heated and cooled slowly. Prices can range from 50 to 200 bucks around here.

If you need a manifold let me know. I will ship you the one you need if you pay the shipping.
Luke

Good compared to Sanderson or Headman shorties, but there are tight spots, especially in an A-body. Most important for the OP, they do not just drop in the place of the exhaust manifolds and bolt up. They go in from underneath and will need a special headpipe which can be purchased from TTI or made by a shop.

I may be wrong, but I heard from a person that used them that they drop in from the top, just like a manifold. No tricks, no gimmicks. TTI also sells the head pipes that extend to the cross member like a full length header.

I may be wrong, but I heard from a person that used them that they drop in from the top, just like a manifold. No tricks, no gimmicks. TTI also sells the head pipes that extend to the cross member like a full length header.

That's the difference between my posts and far too many others. I only state as fact things I personally have experience with. Everything else, I either qualify (as you just did) or give the source - sometimes both. Too much hearsay and regurgitation makes it hard for even people with experience to sort out. I don't want to see some kid spend hard earned cash and time he doesn't have because I misled him or her. The TTI shorties aren't a bad shorty, but its not a cakewalk either.

Let me add this link, which took me about 3 minutes to search with duckduckgo.
www.ttiexhaust.com/Category-ClassicHeaders/34025-Shorty/TTI34025_Install.pdf

Do you men really think this 17 year old kid can afford tti anything ?

We don't know, but we stated they are expensive. He can look at the price and decide if he can do that or not. I know teenagers that have thousands saved because they work a 40 and live at home.

That's the difference between my posts and far too many others. I only state as fact things I personally have experience with. Everything else, I either qualify (as you just did) or give the source - sometimes both. Too much hearsay and regurgitation makes it hard for even people with experience to sort out. I don't want to see some kid spend hard earned cash and time he doesn't have because I misled him or her. The TTI shorties aren't a bad shorty, but its not a cakewalk either.

Let me add this link, which took me about 3 minutes to search with duckduckgo.
www.ttiexhaust.com/Category-ClassicHeaders/34025-Shorty/TTI34025_Install.pdf

I'm sorry if I missed it, but you have personally bought the TTI shorty headers and personally installed them?? If yes, please share your experience of install as I'm thinking on them myself. The guy told me it was a drop in.... Please share your experience

I'm sorry if I missed it, but you have personally bought the TTI shorty headers and personally installed them??
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. What else do you want to know about them? I'm sorry but I'm not going to relate the entire experience but am willing to answer specifics if I can.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. What else do you want to know about them? I'm sorry but I'm not going to relate the entire experience but am willing to answer specifics if I can.

Just the fitment, and what car you installed them in... There is someone that has a thread right now that just bought some. Waiting to see their experience also.

We don't know, but we stated they are expensive. He can look at the price and decide if he can do that or not. I know teenagers that have thousands saved because they work a 40 and live at home.

Unfortunately I'm not in that club. But if I really decided on it, I could buy the tti stuff and use my dad's harbor freight welder and one of his friends' welding knowledge to put it all together, but I'm investing in body work at this point, not to mention I'm very interested in iw378's offer. I just want to say that y'all have been super informative and helpful over all, I'll update this thread once I make a decision and let you guys know how it goes!

Why not? Because you are selfish or lazy? Which is it? Because I am tellin you sure as I'm sittin here if I had them and I had installed them myself, I would write a BOOK for all my friends here with tons of pictures. Anything less is an injustice and you should be ashamed. That's the entire POINT of forums like this. To SHARE information.

Unfortunately I'm not in that club. But if I really decided on it, I could buy the tti stuff and use my dad's harbor freight welder and one of his friends' welding knowledge to put it all together, but I'm investing in body work at this point, not to mention I'm very interested in iw378's offer. I just want to say that y'all have been super informative and helpful over all, I'll update this thread once I make a decision and let you guys know how it goes!

What I recommend is to replace the cracked manifold for now. Continue on with the other work the car needs. You don't NEED headers right now. Being responsible early on will net you benefits in the long term. Used manifolds are cheap. Fix what you have now and continue with the rest of the work on the car. Save your money and work smart.

^^^^this x2, learn from others. You asked for advice, RRR nailed it. It is a hobby and it costs money like any other hobby, and this one can and will get expensive. So don't spend money you don't have and get spread out all over the car at once and end up annoyed and end up giving up. Take the freebie manifold and pay the shipping, bolt it right up and finish the other parts and keep some cash set back. One day you'll need it. And btw learn to do as much of all this as you can for yourself, itll save you money and you'll feel much better about what you've accomplished.

-
Back