Do they make a new 2bbl for a slant

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a 2 bbl intake on my 85 D100. My question is do they make a new aftermarket carb that fits the slant 6 2bbl intake.If so what are You guys using for carb? A brand new 2bbl electric choke carb would be perfect.. It is a all stock lean burn slant 6. I want to get rid of the lean burn and possibly go with a 2 bbl carb.

20211009_164956.jpg

I've bought a couple of Chinese carbs for small engines and it's a crap shoot. On small chainsaws etc the OEM ones are cheep enough not to go with a Chinese clone. At least via eBay.
I've had mixed results buying them for Briggs and Kohler engines. There's a particular guy on slant 6 site and I think he's on here too/ that bought a Chinese BBD and never could get it quite right. As I remember he has a red 74 dart.
He bought a real BBD/I don't remember whether it was a reman or a used one that he rebuilt but the real BBD was much better.
I have a real, NOS BBD here that will go onto my own/6 once I swap the fresh one into my truck, there was a guy on the /6 site last summer that had like 10 of them, I bought 2 from him. One went on my son's/6 and worked wonders.

Amazing that the Chinese can sell a new 2BBL for $109 w/ free shipping. The photos look fine w/ yellow-chromate plated steel parts. My main concern would be if the gaskets and diaphragms are of quality rubber since I've had Chinese products which used what-ever plastic which soon degraded. The BBD is a simple robust design, easy to adjust. A pdf manual has been posted here several times (or links). I think the common Edelbrock 4 BBL after-market carb is about the same design (metering rods). I don't think the BBD has many places to leak fuel from the bowl, like many Holleys can. I suspect their description "vacuum choke" just refers to the little vacuum "choke pull-off" at the top. Its purpose it to let you set the choke full-closed for easy starting, then as soon as the engine spins and builds vacuum, it pops the choke open a little more to not stall. Many people don't know their diaphragm failed (easy to test), so are constantly fooling with the choke setting. I suspect the choke in this one is still operated by an external rod from a temperature spring in the exhaust (w/ kludgy electric heater add-on of later years to open faster).

Someday, a company may offer an integrated EFI throttle body system for 2 BBL manifolds <$1000, so this new carb would suffice until then. I don't know of any, and most/all TBI systems sold today are too large for a 6 cylinder, though perhaps you could swap in smaller fuel injectors since many use standard MPFI injectors, but would also need a 4 BBL slant intake (Offenhauser, Clifford, or Hurricane).

I have a real, NOS BBD here that will go onto my own/6 once I swap the fresh one into my truck ...
I bought a new (or rebuilt) Carter BBD for $25 on ebay about 8 years ago. I have it on my 1965 Dart 273 as an interim until I install a Holley Commander 950 TBI. I even have it on a 4 to 2 BBL adapter (mounted upside down) since I installed a 4 BBL aluminum manifold. I might later carry it in the trunk for backup (designed plumbing to run off EFI fuel pump already installed). I could also use on my 1964 Valiant slant if I don't get around to my MPFI plan, though have a BBS on it now. It was for a small-block V-8, so forgot if any changes are needed for a 6 cyl. You don't want to over-carb, but since it works on a 273, probably OK on a 225.

Someday, a company may offer an integrated EFI throttle body system for 2 BBL manifolds <$1000, so this new carb would suffice until then. I don't know of any, and most/all TBI systems sold today are too large for a 6 cylinder, though perhaps you could swap in smaller fuel injectors since many use standard MPFI injectors, but would also need a 4 BBL slant intake (Offenhauser, Clifford, or Hurricane).
Holley sniper for a jeep 6 cyl with 2bbl holley efi - Bing images

There is probably a Weber model that fits. You pay more, but you get the Weber quality....& mileage that will soon pay for the carb.

Try RaceTep/Redline in Hollywood, Cal.

I like that truck. alot. Wonder how long itll take me to get it's "sister" (same year same color same engine) lookin as good?

I bought mine, because I thought it was in great shape for having been from this area all its life..... but yours is much nicer at least from the pix. has it been redone?
sittin in garage right now with a cab full of parts stashed in it.
Lookin for the rest of what I need to add factory AC to it.

I like that truck. alot. Wonder how long itll take me to get it's "sister" (same year same color same engine) lookin as good?

I bought mine, because I thought it was in great shape for having been from this area all its life..... but yours is much nicer at least from the pix. has it been redone?
sittin in garage right now with a cab full of parts stashed in it.
Lookin for the rest of what I need to add factory AC to it.
Never redone. It is a KY truck and pretty clean. I did clean up the interior and put new carpet in it. I would trade it for the right A body

Amazing that the Chinese can sell a new 2BBL for $109 w/ free shipping. The photos look fine w/ yellow-chromate plated steel parts. My main concern would be if the gaskets and diaphragms are of quality rubber since I've had Chinese products which used what-ever plastic which soon degraded. The BBD is a simple robust design, easy to adjust. A pdf manual has been posted here several times (or links). I think the common Edelbrock 4 BBL after-market carb is about the same design (metering rods). I don't think the BBD has many places to leak fuel from the bowl, like many Holleys can. I suspect their description "vacuum choke" just refers to the little vacuum "choke pull-off" at the top. Its purpose it to let you set the choke full-closed for easy starting, then as soon as the engine spins and builds vacuum, it pops the choke open a little more to not stall. Many people don't know their diaphragm failed (easy to test), so are constantly fooling with the choke setting. I suspect the choke in this one is still operated by an external rod from a temperature spring in the exhaust (w/ kludgy electric heater add-on of later years to open faster).

Bill would you happen to have a link for the PDF for a BBD, the choke on my wifes jeep is driving me insane.

-
Back