Do you have rods in your head? I do.

Slant 6 Engines

1. Wayne's World

Wayne's World My World, My Universe, My Garage

Local Time:
    9:45 PM
    Yep. If they are small enough I pull them out but most of the time they appear to be stable so I leave them alone.

2. volaredon

volaredon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:45 PM
    Ive seen this posted and talked about somewhere not too long ago/ don't remember whether it was the /6 forum or the copy of Dutra's book I have.... I'm thinking it may have been both. but it was mentioned wherever it was, to go ahead and pull them out with needle nose.
    In fact I probably wouldn't have noticed (or looked) in the heads that I have here if I hadn't seen the writeup that I did about the subject,
    When I 1st tried to pull them I thought the same thing, "they're REALLY in there", won't come out... but then I tried again (from a different water passage maybe?) and got one to move/ so I started pulling and it twisted itself up and came right out. They weren't very sturdy or rigid.... probably on account of how old they are and the exposure to water, coolant, and what it turns into when neglected plus throw in all the heat and cooling cycles over the years.....

there was a thread somewhere else recently, claiming that someone discovered the rods in their /6 head when their car wouldn't warm up and discovered one wedged in their thermostat, keeping it from closing..... given the way coolant flows and moves I can see them floating around in there eventually. If possible I'd try and get them outta there.

3. Killer6

Killer6 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    No, they manage that with the head gasket having intentional restrictions at the coolant passages.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Killer6

Local Time:
      The uphot is, every Slanty head ever made has 'em, over a million of 'em. Runnin' & runnin'.

• cruiser

cruiser Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Good point, Killer6. But it still bugs me. Something foreign in my cylinder head. It wouldn't be that tough for the guys to pull them out back when they were cast. Just seems lazy to me.

• Ironracer

Ironracer Gearhead

Local Time:
      9:45 PM
      Seem to remember " blood" in the late 70s, odd, we were not close to driving... 4th or 5th grade...

• Killer6

Local Time:
      I
      I feel Ya, but that's mass production, & the processes used at the time. Now, lost-foam method & others, have increased quality & control over the casting process. As stated by another member, it wasn't uncommon to have a bit of wire exposed during pattern filling, or during the pour. That is welded into the casting at that point. Imagine pulling hot castings out of the box, to bury/let cool, then knocking the green sand out. Cars are rolling down the line, the machining station is waiting for the raw casting, & someone is wrestling w/a pair of pliers on a wire that is part of the casting. Probably get kicked out of the process rather quickly, being that they were intended to be left there to begin with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.