Do you paint freeze plugs?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Kind of sounds like a stupid question I know, but I am about to paint my engine, and I just think not painting the freeze plugs might look cooler?
Or would painting them add more protection from the elements??

Thanks!

The factory painted them. Having said that, I am not going to paint mine but they are brass. I think that leaving them unpainted lets you keep an eye on their condition so you can head off a leak. If you want protection you can always shoot them with clear.

i only use brass...and i dont paint them to keep an eye on them

no...i paint the block before i put them in......

I painted the block before I put mine in.
Mine aren't brass though, I didn't even know that brass ones existed when I was doing it.

Oh well, they're all brand new now, no more coolant leaks for me! :D

Paint your block first, then install brass freeze plugs. IMO, looks better and you can monitor their condition.
One other thing, replace the threaded coolant jacket plugs with petcocks. This little change will let you drain your block a lot easier if necessary.

I painted mine, but would have rather painted the block before I put them in. Mine are brass.

If you don't want to paint them put a light coat of vaseline on them (being careful not to get it on parts you want paint on ;) ) and after the paint is dry, simply wipe off the vasilne. Quicker and easier than masking them all.

If you don't want to paint them put a light coat of vaseline on them (being careful not to get it on parts you want paint on ;) ) and after the paint is dry, simply wipe off the vasilne. Quicker and easier than masking them all.

That's what I tried doing... didn't work too well.. :munky2:

-
Back